Arch Enemy (Official Thread)

Prime

Daydreaming
Reaction score
Re: Arch Enemy

Finally got a copy of the new album on its way, so will share my thoughts after listening to it a few times. I tried watching the vids posted on here, but Youtube is acting up for me a lot lately :mad

You're going to love it. Most if not all fans of Arch Enemy that i've heard from say that it's an incredible release. It's definitely got everything an Arch Enemy fan would look for imo.

Pixel

The Woolly One
Reaction score

Just listened to the new album in full for the first time, and I have to say that I have mixed feelings.

Musically, it's brilliant, with some amazing riffs and I love the lightning-speed tempo. As for the vocals, though, I'm really disappointed. Most of you who post in this section probably know by now that I really love growling vocals, and Angela's vocals are absolutely amazing. So I was horrified on discovering that the vocals on this album are digitally synthesised. I have no problem with digital voice effects being used sparingly here and there within a song, but not for a complete album, regardless of the vocal style. I prefer growling vocals, especially, to be heard as they're meant to be heard.

As I say, I've only listened to this album once, so no particular songs have jumped out at me just yet. I'm pretty confident that the more I listen to it, the more I will like it, but nothing is going to change my mind about the distorted growls. I'm not saying they're a bad thing per se, but definitely aren't my cup of tea. Basically, if the vocals hadn't been digitally altered, this would have been a perfect album.

Prime

Daydreaming
Reaction score

^I actually hadn't noticed the vocal thing until you pointed out, but now I gave one song off the album a listen, and I notice it right away. It's....not always a bad thing, but it's definitely different.

Pixel

The Woolly One
Reaction score

^I actually hadn't noticed the vocal thing until you pointed out, but now I gave one song off the album a listen, and I notice it right away. It's....not always a bad thing, but it's definitely different.

Yeah, as I say, when used sparingly it can be a good thing, artistic I guess, but not for an entire album. For this reason I'm not keen on the album Doomsday Machine either. I saw them live a few years back, and not long before had watched the 'Swedish Apocalypse' concert DVD which made me feel somewhat ambivalent as this featured mainly digitally altered vocals too; luckily, however, when I saw them this didn't happen, and I was really glad to hear the vocals in their natural form :)

Prime

Daydreaming
Reaction score

Apocalypse (Music Video)

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score

Loved this interview, much more respect knowing Angela has such a band workload that she does.

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score

:grinthumb Sweet... thanks for the post man!!!

No probs, gotta love her work ethic, shows how under rated women do tend to be in metal. Nothing but respect for Angela in how she runs the band.

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Gave the OP a spruce up a bit since this is the main thread for Arch Enemy. :)
I think Johan albums with the band are under rated and way too overshadowed.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HoustonBoy

Staff online

Members online