American Idol debut ratings drop double digits

Sunny

Settled down at last and very happy.
Reaction score
Re: American Idol debut ratings drop double degits

Me! I love it! :grinthumb

I had never seen it until I was in Thailand where they seem to be obsessed with American TV shows and Liverpool football team :grinthumb It is just entertainment ............ not to be taken seriously. If you don't like it - don't watch it :rolleyes:

tomcat

CRF Ex-Con
Reaction score
On a Misty Mountain overlooking Strawberry Fields.

10 seasons of manufactured BS in the guise of a real talent search is a long time to shovel shit. I rhetorically asked who watches it; I never said I watched the damned show.

If you don't like opinions on music, don't read music forums. ":rolleyes:"

Last edited:

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score

@ Tomcat/Sunny-The thing is Sunny's right! It's just entertainment and I don't see why anyone really get's bothered by anything that involves changing a channel! As far as not going to a music forum all that was given was another opinion so it's not like she said she didn't like opinions. She was voicing hers and basically I don't know how someone can judge people who simply watch a show. When you call people idiots you aren't judging the show you are judging them. Don't you think it's a little unfair to judge people simply for what they enjoy? It's one thing to call people on the show idiots especially after watching it to formulate an opinion but there are plenty of fine people who get something positive out of it. I see some actual talent that can be nurtured, some feel goods moments, some drama (most entertainment has it in some form) and a level of competition I like. I don't listen to each winners music but I find plenty of talent who make good music from it. I loved last seasons runner up Crystal Bowersox and you MIGHT'VE as well if she came from anything but A.I. I just don't understand personally any bitterness against music period. I just occupy myself with what I like no matter how popular it is. Nothing today is hard to find and occupy you from stuff you hate! :cheers2

@ Astrid-Kelly Clarkson had her last album in 2008 and it did just fine. I know people want artist to fall but you can't just assume they did without knowing. Kelly is mucho talented and still has plenty of appeal/marketabilty at this point. New album is coming out soon. Love ya Astrid but I still had to react to that! :):cheers2

tomcat

CRF Ex-Con
Reaction score
On a Misty Mountain overlooking Strawberry Fields.

I never said I watched the show. And I don't need to be told not to put my hand in a flame (i.e., not to watch, that, which I don't like). I sarcastically expressed disdain for the show. I didn't call out anyone here; yet, I get my balls busted over it all.

Last edited:

Astrid Kirchherr65

Classic 60's Chick
Reaction score

@ Tomcat/Sunny-The thing is Sunny's right! It's just entertainment and I don't see why anyone really get's bothered by anything that involves changing a channel! As far as not going to a music forum all that was given was another opinion so it's not like she said she didn't like opinions. She was voicing hers and basically I don't know how someone can judge people who simply watch a show. When you call people idiots you aren't judging the show you are judging them. Don't you think it's a little unfair to judge people simply for what they enjoy? It's one thing to call people on the show idiots especially after watching it to formulate an opinion but there are plenty of fine people who get something positive out of it. I see some actual talent that can be nurtured, some feel goods moments, some drama (most entertainment has it in some form) and a level of competition I like. I don't listen to each winners music but I find plenty of talent who make good music from it. I loved last seasons runner up Crystal Bowersox and you MIGHT'VE as well if she came from anything but A.I. I just don't understand personally any bitterness against music period. I just occupy myself with what I like no matter how popular it is. Nothing today is hard to find and occupy you from stuff you hate! :cheers2

@ Astrid-Kelly Clarkson had her last album in 2008 and it did just fine. I know people want artist to fall but you can't just assume they did without knowing. Kelly is mucho talented and still has plenty of appeal/marketabilty at this point. New album is coming out soon. Love ya Astrid but I still had to react to that! :):cheers2

Well that maybe ..Sooty..I don't think folks on Idol are untalented ...because thats not true ..See Jennifer Hudson and Constatine M :)

I object to the format and formulated way the contestants are put out there
I object to the meanest in how they are or were (with Simon) taken to task..

I don't think the judges really have power to discover talents properly...because if they did ..they'd not be missing alot of people they do..It's more of a popularity contest..imo

I think people like to watch for those stories behind the people lives/you know the drama etc..

And before people come down on me as to HOW I know this /since I claim not to watch the show {which I don't} it's the formula I know from watching two shows WAYY back when Katherine McPhee was on...and I tried see what everyone was so mad about ..I mean A.I. has an loyal fan base ..I wanted to know whats up :D:grinthumb ,

I get why people love American Idol..the human drama and all that is appealing throw in music =instant success

I just don't think it is healthy for music

ps I love ya too..don't worry I have plenty of friends who love Idol :D I can be civil about it :)

aeroplane

In Urgent Need of Advice
Reaction score

Wanting to be diplomatic, I gotta add that I've got no problem with people who like the show

But to me it gives a free and easy ride to a lot of people who have never struggled for years to pay their dues by touring in crappy clubs, doing free shows in coffee houses to 12 people, getting rejected by multiple record labels, losing money on tour or travel expenses, scribbling down song lyrics on the back of a grocery store receipt instead of having outside songwriting bigwigs write them or going into debt to record a demo or ep.

Which is the way artists used to do things.

People on American Idol don't usually get told they are no good or need to work on things until they get in front of the judges. People who do it the real way are told that on a day-to-day basis when doing something with their music or band. The Idol people, regardless of a few exceptions, don't come across as dealing with any sort of adversity related to their profession, the same sort of adversity most musicians deal with. At least before getting onto the show.

That and I still don't like the idea of featuring popular artists, which may be good for the artists who need to pick someone's brain but you are giving free exposure to people who are already household names and certainly don't need the extra help of network tv exposure.

I bought Katharine McPhee's record, for example, because Walmart had it on sale and it looked all right. Figured I'd give it a shot, a classic impulse purchase which I regularly do with music I'm not familiar with. I never saw or heard anything she did while on Idol. No idea who she was until Googling her after getting home with the cd.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bringzip

Staff online

Members online