Am I the only person who pretty much hates Metallica?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Well as ive said I dont care for their old albums either with the exception of Ride the lightning. Ive never made it all the way through the AJFA album I usually get fed up when I get to Shortest Straws awful chorus. The thing is I should love that album because Im huge on progressive rock/metal and long songs.

Yeah but just because you hate Metallica doesn't mean they have not done anything for music. Its your entitled opinion if you don't like them but there is no denying the impact they have made. Could you say they're overrated? Yeah probably but even then that is subjective.

DragonQuest3

Banned
Reaction score
Yeah but just because you hate Metallica doesn't mean they have not done anything for music. Its your entitled opinion if you don't like them but there is no denying the impact they have made. Could you say they're overrated? Yeah probably but even then that is subjective.

Im not denying the bands impact just saying in terms of music and consistency I find plenty of other thrash to be superior. Metallica is supposed to represent thrash metal as its leader but theyve done a piss poor job in handling that responsibility. It seems like a lot of their success came in do to good propaganda. Looking past all of that though I simply cant see them as a very good band.

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Metallica don't owe anyone a thing when it comes to their sound though. Bands don't always want to remain on their thrash path and want to explore their sound which is fair enough. Slayer are probably the only band who has tried to stay with their sound but have stagnated a lot because they try to repeat past glories on modern records. Metallica though wanted to do different things and whilst I don't like all of such experiments I respect the band for wanting to take a leap or a risk. Most thrash bands have at some point looked to do something a bit different.

DragonQuest3

Banned
Reaction score
Metallica don't owe anyone a thing when it comes to their sound though. Bands don't always want to remain on their thrash path and want to explore their sound which is fair enough. Slayer are probably the only band who has tried to stay with their sound but have stagnated a lot because they try to repeat past glories on modern records. Metallica though wanted to do different things and whilst I don't like all of such experiments I respect the band for wanting to take a leap or a risk. Most thrash bands have at some point looked to do something a bit different.

Well as ive mentioned Voivod have made even more drastic changes. A big difference is they made a succesfull transition while Metallica has become something of a joke. I thik change is good and I like bands who take risks. Metallica is more or less bein stupid I mean how the hell did they not realize what a piece of crap Lulu was when they were helping him make it? I honestly think they have it in them to make another album people will appreciate as much as MOP and RTL bu insted they pull out half assed Death Magnetic. They have the right to do whatever they want I know just a shame to know their true feelings.

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
That again is subjective. Bands can do whatever they want even if its something I may not like. Its their work, no one can deny them the right to change their sound. For me Metallica have made some great material post Black album. St Anger sucks but Lulu is not a Metallica album. Death Magnetic suffered from shitty production but had some enjoyable tunes on it for me.

DragonQuest3

Banned
Reaction score
That again is subjective. Bands can do whatever they want even if its something I may not like. Its their work, no one can deny them the right to change their sound. For me Metallica have made some great material post Black album. St Anger sucks but Lulu is not a Metallica album. Death Magnetic suffered from shitty production but had some enjoyable tunes on it for me.

I just dont see why after the flack they got from St anger they would take part in Lulu. It seemed as if with Death Magnetic they were trying to get their fans back but they went and f***ed it all up. I honestly felt bad for Metallica fans when I discovered Lulu.

Im not saying Metallica hasnt the right to change their sound, nor do others not have the right to like them, but it should be pretty understandable why I rank Voivod, Overkill, Kreator, and Mekong Delta on a higher pedastal in terms of quality thrash bands. Bathory was better than all of em though :D

Pappy

Reaction score
I just dont see why after the flack they got from St anger they would take part in Lulu. It seemed as if with Death Magnetic they were trying to get their fans back but they went and f***ed it all up. I honestly felt bad for Metallica fans when I discovered Lulu.

Im not saying Metallica hasnt the right to change their sound, nor do others not have the right to like them, but it should be pretty understandable why I rank Voivod, Overkill, Kreator, and Mekong Delta on a higher pedastal in terms of quality thrash bands. Bathory was better than all of em though :D

The answer to the question why would they take part in Lulu after getting flack. They've made it clear. Getting flack does not matter to them one bit. Critics bashing them does not bother them. They've been pissing off fans since they "sold out" with Fade to Black. Everything they do, they do it cause it's what they want to do. I got to respect them for that.

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Because it shows they don't care what critics think. I think in theory working with Lou Reed wasn't a bad idea but the execution was just terrible. In terms of consistency I rate many bands higher than Metallica (consistently solid albums that is) including Testament, Kreator, Overkill and I guess even Megadeth too.

DragonQuest3

Banned
Reaction score
The answer to the question why would they take part in Lulu after getting flack. They've made it clear. Getting flack does not matter to them one bit. Critics bashing them does not bother them. They've been pissing off fans since they "sold out" with Fade to Black. Everything they do, they do it cause it's what they want to do. I got to respect them for that.

Plenty of bands go out and simply do what they want to do. If you want a band who truly doesnt give a rats ass what anybody thinks of their music check out the Residents. I can understand resecting Metallica for doing what they want to do but that fact doesnt make Lulu good or Metallica consistent. All im saying I prefer artist who have constent outputs and can experiment and change their sound succesfully. Funny though Metallica fans got pissed over Fade to Black when thats probably the bands best song. Still if they ever purposefully tried to piss off their fans thats not respectable imo.

Pappy

Reaction score
Plenty of bands go out and simply do what they want to do. If you want a band who truly doesnt give a rats ass what anybody thinks of their music check out the Residents. I can understand resecting Metallica for doing what they want to do but that fact doesnt make Lulu good or Metallica consistent. All im saying I prefer artist who have constent outputs and can experiment and change their sound succesfully. Funny though Metallica fans got pissed over Fade to Black when thats probably the bands best song. Still if they ever purposefully tried to piss off their fans thats not respectable imo.

I don't think they ever purposefully try to piss off their fans. After all you got to sell records at the end of the day. Pissing of fans won't help with that. I think their mindset is more looking at a project like a Lulu, TTN movie, S&M, and saying "this looks like it would be fun to do, let's do it" and then saying to their fans, "we enjoyed doing this, you'll get a kick out of it" sometimes they are right, sometimes they are wrong. But it doesn't stop them from trying the next project.

If we want to discuss an artists who can change his sound successfully and be consistently awesome though, we can discuss Devin Townsend in his thread lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
magicmoments

Staff online

Members online