Am I the only person who pretty much hates Metallica?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pappy

Reaction score
Have to agree. St Anger stands up better than a ton of garbage out there today. But Lulu, nothing is as bad as that hunk of shit.

Pappy put whatever spin on it but Metallica were on the album. It was a COLLABORATION ALBUM. Both Lou and Metallica.

RIFF RAFF - I'm not trying to spin on it, at least not intentionally. I'm just saying don't compare it with the rest of their discography cause it's not Metallica going into the studio for a year writing Metallica songs. Again not the follow up to DM. I'm having trouble putting the right words there obviously. Just saying we should separate a Metallica/Lou Reed record from any discussion of the Metallica discography. It's indeed the worst thing that Metallica has ever been apart of though, there is no argument there lol and I'll never intentionally defend that record.

DRAGONQUEST - I agree it kinda sucks they were a backing band. But yeah it's over and done with. They'll never tour on those songs, aside from that Fillmore gig. I think the world will continue on trying to pretend LULU never existed.
As for your DM comment. I'm gonna have to stop you right there! Cause you only mentioned Overkill. You didn't mention Testament's two killer records, Endgame by Megadeth, Hordes of Chaos and Phantom Antichrist by Kreator, and Relentless Retribution/The Dream Calls For Blood by Death Angel. I'd say all those records were better than Death Magnetic. All obviously better production than DM which is an embarrassment in itself. A Metallica record should sound better than all those band production wise with the money they have to spend....btw that production on those Overkill records :bow:

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
St Anger has a few good moments but like was stated let down by the most disgraceful level of production. lol
No one with a brain should ever consider trying to rekindle that drum sound.

Pappy

Reaction score
St Anger has a few good moments but like was stated let down by the most disgraceful level of production. lol
No one with a brain should ever consider trying to rekindle that drum sound.

St. Anger is a great sounding demo...can't wait till they release the actual record :D

DragonQuest3

Banned
Reaction score
RIFF RAFF - I'm not trying to spin on it, at least not intentionally. I'm just saying don't compare it with the rest of their discography cause it's not Metallica going into the studio for a year writing Metallica songs. Again not the follow up to DM. I'm having trouble putting the right words there obviously. Just saying we should separate a Metallica/Lou Reed record from any discussion of the Metallica discography. It's indeed the worst thing that Metallica has ever been apart of though, there is no argument there lol and I'll never intentionally defend that record.

DRAGONQUEST - I agree it kinda sucks they were a backing band. But yeah it's over and done with. They'll never tour on those songs, aside from that Fillmore gig. I think the world will continue on trying to pretend LULU never existed.
As for your DM comment. I'm gonna have to stop you right there! Cause you only mentioned Overkill. You didn't mention Testament's two killer records, Endgame by Megadeth, Hordes of Chaos and Phantom Antichrist by Kreator, and Relentless Retribution/The Dream Calls For Blood by Death Angel. I'd say all those records were better than Death Magnetic. All obviously better production than DM which is an embarrassment in itself. A Metallica record should sound better than all those band production wise with the money they have to spend....btw that production on those Overkill records :bow:

I was just using Overkill as an example I mean the point is while all these bands like Overkill, Kretor, and Voivod are having epic comebacks Metallica who is supposed to be the leader of the thrash metal movement releasd the mediocre Death Magnetic and played as Lou Reeds backing band.

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Whether you like them or not they deserve their acknowledgement for what they have done for music. The criticism for DM production is warranted though.

Pappy

Reaction score
I was just using Overkill as an example I mean the point is while all these bands like Overkill, Kretor, and Voivod are having epic comebacks Metallica who is supposed to be the leader of the thrash metal movement releasd the mediocre Death Magnetic and played as Lou Reeds backing band.

Agreed. I'm thinking Lars and co. don't see themselves as a "thrash band" anymore anyway. Lars is a big art fan and it seems that bleeds into the band where they try to be too artsy and overdue things, (st. anger production, Lulu, Through The Never, etc). Bands like thoses we've listed just want to bang some heads.

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Paved the way for a lot of metal bands coming through, they are a massive gateway band on top of being one of metal/rock most influential acts. Their sound is something unique they brought to the table at the time they kicked off. Most bands cite NWOBHM as an influence but Metallica had more of it mixed with the energy of punk. Plenty of things people can cite Metallica have done for music. To say they have done nothing would be ignorant and laughable.
And using one modern album as a reason to bash a band doesn't really seem credible to me.

DragonQuest3

Banned
Reaction score
Agreed. I'm thinking Lars and co. don't see themselves as a "thrash band" anymore anyway. Lars is a big art fan and it seems that bleeds into the band where they try to be too artsy and overdue things, (st. anger production, Lulu, Through The Never, etc). Bands like thoses we've listed just want to bang some heads.

Well actually Voivod is far more artsy than Metallica. The difference is Vivod transcended into a more artsy style succesfully and Metallca did not which is odd since the first couple of Voivod albums were sloppy and raw punk influenced mayhem. Honestly it was one of the greatest transitions ever!

DragonQuest3

Banned
Reaction score
Paved the way for a lot of metal bands coming through, they are a massive gateway band on top of being one of metal/rock most influential acts.

And using one modern album as a reason to bash a band doesn't really seem credible to me.

Well as ive said I dont care for their old albums either with the exception of Ride the lightning. Ive never made it all the way through the AJFA album I usually get fed up when I get to Shortest Straws awful chorus. The thing is I should love that album because Im huge on progressive rock/metal and long songs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edmerka

Members online