Alice In Chains (Official Thread)

AboutAGirl

oh, be nice
Reaction score
Re: Alice In Chains

Did not know Neil Young even did a MTV Unplugged recording...is it on YouTube?

A little bit of it is... Unfortunately Neil is one of those artists for whose material is mostly deleted off of youtube.

Here's my personal favorite track from Neil's unplugged.

A daring and beautiful choice! I think the problem with Neil's unplugged is that it relied too much on the old standards. Unplugged is a special show and it should be a special setlist lol. There are several tens of cooler songs he could have brought out for this... It also relies a little too heavily on Harvest Moon which had just come out. It's a great album but not worthy of hogging that many slots lol.

Neil did his Unplugged way back in '92. I like to imagine if he had done his after seeing Nirvana's Unplugged... he would have put together a munch more amazing and daring setlist. Unplugged is what got Neil into Nirvana after all...

Last edited by a moderator:

rollingstoned

Queens of the Stone Age
Reaction score
Re: Alice In Chains

A little bit of it is... Unfortunately Neil is one of those artists for whose material is mostly deleted off of youtube.

Here's my personal favorite track from Neil's unplugged.

A daring and beautiful choice! I think the problem with Neil's unplugged is that it relied too much on the old standards. Unplugged is a special show and it should be a special setlist lol. There are several tens of cooler songs he could have brought out for this... It also relies a little too heavily on Harvest Moon which had just come out. It's a great album but not worthy of hogging that many slots lol.

Neil did his Unplugged way back in '92. I like to imagine if he had done his after seeing Nirvana's Unplugged... he would have put together a munch more amazing and daring setlist. Unplugged is what got Neil into Nirvana after all...

Hmm, I knew Neil Young had discovered Pearl Jam but did not know he got into Nirvana after the unplugged set.

ComfortablyNumb

Unquestionable Presence
Reaction score
Been listening to them alot the past few months. Especially Sap, Jar Of Flies, and Unplugged. Really crazy how well they were able to switch from Gloomy, Doom like, Sludgey, Heavy Metal to melow accoustic songs.

AtomicPunk

Rock N Roll Rebel
Reaction score
Saw them in 1991 opening for Van Halen. It was awesome to have 2 great bands to see as opposed to the headliner & one so-so band.

Last edited:

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score
It's amazing that they can ride so much feeling out of barely a lyrical presence and half the song topics are so random like "Man In The Box" and honestly as nice as the melodies sound it's hard to make out what they are saying without looking them up at some point. For example, my favorite "Nutshell":

We chase misprinted lies
We face the path of time
And yet I fight
And yet I fight
This battle all alone
No one to cry to
No place to call home

Oooh... Oooh...
Oooh... Oooh...

My gift of self is raped
My privacy is raked
And yet I find
And yet I find
Repeating in my head
If I can't be my own
I'd feel better dead

Oooh... Oooh...
Oooh... Oooh...

I like the way they connect and connect with the lyrics but I honestly find that they found the most base lyrics to convey the emotion and fit into the mood and melody they want. I tend to like bands that put a little more work into both sides though their are exceptions. I think this works fine with "Nutshell" as I liked it just fine hearing it as mostly as series of moans and Ooohs but this is a band I'll never quote or think much deeper about the content. I know the singer was trouble, depressed and addicted to drugs but that doesn't stand out much from the genre. I see them more for their harmonies than anything. :cheers2

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Them Bones is a song that really is moving musically to me. One of my favourite AIC tunes ever.

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edmerka

Members online