ComfortablyNumb

Unquestionable Presence
Reaction score
Jar Of Flies
alice-in-chains-jar-of-flies.jpg
Band Alice In Chains
Genres Alternative Rock, Grunge, Acoustic Rock
Year Of Release January 25, 1994

For me this is Alice in Chains’ definitive work, and although it is only an EP, it listens like a full length album. This album truly breaks new ground. While it is mostly an acoustic album with some highly blues inspired moments, I would argue that this is the the heaviest album that they have ever put out. It has great vocal work, great lyrics, intricate guitar work, and the best overall exploitation of the rhythm section. Basically an overall spirit that makes it impossible for it not to achieve greatness.

“Rotten Apple”
is the gloomiest and most atmospheric work on here, and is one of the longest song that I the band has put out. There are plenty of blues laced solos on here, be it the wah pedal driven leads at the beginning, or the clean toned guitar that dominates the ending. The lyrics are a bit dark, but the overall feel of the song doesn’t quite cross the line into being depressing, but rather soothing.

“Nutshell” and “I Stay Away” have great acoustic work that drive them along; the latter is probably the more well-known due to its many dramatic changes and triumphant sounding chorus. The former was widely imitated by bands, though they never come close to capturing the same emotion in the vocal department, nor could they rival Cantrell’s nostalgic leads.

“No Excuses”
This sees some of the most memorable lead playing I’ve heard, in addition to some great work by the rhythm section. The drum intro is an instant give away that a great song is coming, I don’t know how they got that sound out of the snare, but it works wonders on this song. The drum intro is also the biggest reason I call Kinney one of the best drummers ever. Very tasteful. This song I would say has the best vocal delivery, as Jerry’s and Layne’s vocals meld together perfectly.

“Whale and Wasp”
This is a short but excellent atmospheric instrumental. Excellent blend electric and acoustic guitars, and an orchestra. I love the opening lead guitar riff. Just a very dreary and simple drone, but it is killer.

“Don’t Follow” This very low key number from this album compared to the rest of the material. It finds the band at its most calm and reflective (up until the central part of the song). Cantrell's acoustic guitar is simply wonderful involving melody that has all the feeling of a classic rock landmark without any of the run-into-the-ground feeling that so many of those older songs have now. The harmonica adds a further lost and forlorn feeling to the song, while the absence of the rhythm section gives it a more folk vibe at this point. Layne Staley and Cantrell harmonize at points, in their own distinct way (which is often imitated), but it's Cantrell who gets the share of vocals. For most of the song it is Cantrell sing and it is some of his best work ever. The central part of the song gets a bit louder with Staley taking over the vocal duties, but it eventually transitions back into only Cantrell and his guitar with him singing.

“Swing on this” is more of a jazzy / country type of song and it showcases some of the strengths of Inez and Kinney. The vocals through out are Cantrell and Staley harmonizing which sounds very creepy especially with the nature of the music they are singing to. This was the curve ball on the album, but it has grown on me. Was a great closer to the album since it closed it on a somewhat up beat note.

In short, this is the album that I most associate with Alice in Chains.
This album is heavy. Not heavy like their electric releases, but heavy in the sense of its atmosphere, and how it weighs down on you. Particularly "Rotten Apple" and "Nutshell", which are worth the price of admission alone.
This is their best work and is one of the best albums of all time.
10/10

If you want to listen to the EP in its entirety here ya go.

Sweaty

ThE OtHeR rAmOnE
Reaction score
Re: Alice In Chains - Jar Of Flies

Great write up C/N I remember buying the album when it came out as a double disc set, Sap / Jar Of Flies, wierd how it was limited then but you can still buy it as a limited edition:bonk:

Brilliant album from a corker of a band imo:cheers2

ComfortablyNumb

Unquestionable Presence
Reaction score

It really is a brilliant album. They had Facelift (which is a very good album), Sap (an amazing album showing their softer side as well), Dirt (showing their song writing at full power and how heavy they could be electrically), and then this album (showing how their song writing progressed even more after Dirt which is saying a lot considering Dirt is a classic as well). Their next album was very good, but it couldnt match their previous two releases.

Their recent release was great in its own right considering they have a "new" singer.

Killer band with each release.

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score

Jar of Flies is 3rd on my list of faves from AIC....Dirt is #1, Facelift #2 :)

I honestly can't say AIC has released any bad albums.

Nice review, CN

:clap:

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
This is a band Snoop introduced to me years ago. AIC shot right past Nirvana as my favorite Grunge/90's/Seattle rock band.

Very well done Mud, take $20.00 out of petty cash for your efforts.:hab:

:D

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Great review. I like all these songs.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads