Alanis Morissette (Official Thread)

AboutAGirl

oh, be nice
Reaction score
Re: Alanis Morissette

One of my favorites without a doubt! She captures for me, the splendor of youth in a way that literally no other artist has. It makes my heart skip a beat, really... at her absolute best she makes me scared to be alive... because for a split second I'm forced to confront the fact that something as beautiful as the idyllic, rose-colored version of youth exists (even if just as an idea), and I have to ask myself whether it's something I succesffuly captured in my youth, or whether it's something that was even capable of being captured, or if the capability/potential still exists and therefore I have the responsibility to go out and captue it, even at this age. That only applies to a few of her best songs, but it's quite, quite significant for me.

I love a lot of pop music, but I love a lot of it with my tongue firmly planted in my cheek. Taylor Swift, for example, is someone whose music I have immense respect for, but thematically it's so far off the deep end... it's pure fantasy. And it is inspired by her real life, but what she does is extracts the absolute most rose-colored moments and feelings, and she concentrates these idyllic visions and then gives them back to us. She writes away all of the harsh realities, all of the little insecurities and blemishes, and all we have left is the pure extract of simple romance.

Her music (at its best) can effect me almost as deeply as Alanis's, but it's so sugary sweet that my lips start to curl. It's beautiful for representing real emotions in an unreal way, her songs connect to our fantasies more than to our real lives. Alanis's music is similarly sweet. It represents an unabashedly idyllic view of life, where being young is an adventure rather than torture, and love is bittersweet but never bitter. The difference, which makes Alansis's music so special, is that she upholds this wistful reverie while accounting for the insecurities and blemishes in life. As a result, Alanis's music is just as sugary as Taylor Swift's, but it feels more real, more believable, and so it hits you (or just me) even harder.

For example Hand In My Pocket (one of my all-time favorite songs), presents us with an (arguably) unrealistically ideal portrayal of youth, where the protagonist is imbued with a crystal clear zen perspective rather than being bogged down with insurmountable hormones and pressures, worrying about innane vanities or parental issues or what-have-you. Yet at the same time, the 'laundry list' of various experiences she notes in the song present both positive and negative aspects of youth. It's a precociously succinct and wise summation of what the protagonist is feeling, but it's also a highly believable list of experiences.

Similarly, the song Head Over Feet gives us the dime-a-million script about being madly in love, but it slips in lines about having been reluctant and skeptical and bitter up until now, so it's (arguably) more believable.

It's not that her song topics are unique, or even that her music is necessarily unique in any discernable way (other than, perhaps, by simply being better/doing it better). It's more about how she appears to be coming at it from a more level-headed position despite handing us the same anthemia.

Unplugged is my favorite album from her (I'd rate her Unplugged higher than Nirvanas! Not higher than AIC's though) despite the fact that Hand In My Pocket is far and away my favorite song of hers. I didn't care as much for Jagged Little Pill acoustic... I dig that Unplugged sound. Must be the brushes they use on the kit or something. Definitely think that's part of what makes Unplugged great.

Oy vey... WHY did I write so much? Must be the fact that I am running on no sleep and my brain brain brain brain brain... brain brain brain. It isn't functioning, as far as I'm aware. I haven't asked it, though.

p.s. metalpriest, love your avatar! One of my favorte Page pics.

Last edited:

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Epic post dude! No need to apologize! It was definitely an interesting take and I never thought I'd see Alanis and Taylor in the same thread but it was an entertaining read! Unplugged is also my favorite from her and I wasn't feeling JLP acoustic either! :grinthumb

runtfan

Reaction score

Can't say I've followed her much, but "Jagged Little Pill" is a great album and I play it every now & then.

AboutAGirl

oh, be nice
Reaction score

Have you guys seen this before? It's effing genius. :haha:

Perfect parody of the Black Eyed Peas as well as how some people will seemingly take any song under the sun and turn it into a melancholic ballad.

ILoveJimmyPage

Reaction score
I heard this on the radio the other day on the way home. It's her new single "Guardian". I believe she also performed this on Dancing With the Stars. Apparently that's what all the cool artists are doing these days. Anywho, it took me a little bit to get into this song, but I like it now! The intro would lead you to believe it would be hard chick rock which is sort of what is expected from her but the song in its entirety is a bit different from that...

Guardian

New albums titled Havoc and Bright Lights coming in August.

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
magicmoments

Staff online

Members online