Alanis Morissette (Official Thread)

METALPRIEST

Reaction score
images

61U953A1zHL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Not gonna do a big giant opus OP here. I think most people know who she is by now or have heard of her and her music. I may also surprise a few people that may have not known that I am a fan of this woman.

I love the music. It moves me. I love to watch her perform...it's trance like. She still is one of the greatest singers in alternative music IMO, as well as 90's Rock in general.

I was there from the beginning and still get blown away by Jagged Little Pill.

So those who would like to add to this thread please do. Photos,vids,stories!

alanis-morissette.jpg

Alanis-Morissette-mv01.jpg

alanis_morissette__photo_by_al_seib_los_angeles_ti_485b50bc60.jpg

Alanis-Morissette.jpg

6553a2c008a050a231e93010.L.jpg

Slip'nn2Darkness

Sub Sonic Soul Shaker
Reaction score
Re: Alanis Morissette

I was glad to see a few polls end up on here.. But it's nice that you took the time to do a thread MP..:cheers2
I too find Alanis to be well worth a listen.. Her dynamics to me are her lyrics.
And I have to say I'm impressed by the musicians she has worked with..
Jagged Little Pill is one of my mostly played CD's.. One that I listen to from start to finish and every song on it tells a different story..
Her oddness compliments her style..:grinthumb

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score

Not my favorite of the female alternative singer genre but one that has a lot of songs I dig. I always buy a stray Alanis c.d. here and there when the price is right! Here are my peak Alanis songs:

Forgiven
(my favorite J.L.P. track by far)

Uninvited
(haunting)

King of Pain
(love the unplugged c.d. and this cover)

Hell, she does great covers:

Crazy

My Humps
(hilarious and ingenious at the same time)
:oyea:

Aktivator

aka Hightea
Reaction score

I really liked her first two albums but never bought anything else. Not sure why maybe because her fans pissed me off on the tour she did with Tori Amos in 98 or by 2000 I had discovered so much music that she got left behind. I still play both albums from time to time.

METALPRIEST

Reaction score

You need to explore some more then Aktivator...will add some stuff later to the thread here tonight. :grinthumb

METALPRIEST

Reaction score

From Wiki

IRONIC Linguistic usage disputes

The song's usage of the word "ironic" attracted attention for what some think is an improper application of the term. Two situations that Morissette describes in the song are arguably examples of cosmic irony: events that, as the Oxford English Dictionary puts it, appear "as if in mockery of the fitness or rightness of things", such as "a death row pardon/two minutes too late".

The lexical item “Ironic” is referred to its semantic meaning; “expressing irony” and “irony” defined as: 1: use of words which are clearly opposite to one’s meaning in order to be amusing or to show annoyance. 2: a course of events or a condition which has the opposite result from what is expected. The title also provides the best directions for the reader as to how the text should be read by acting as a constraint on potential interpretations or schemata instantiation. Carrell

Morissette has also confirmed that she is a self-dubbed "malapropism queen" and alleges that the song was lighthearted and not taken too seriously at the time it was written.

“ For me the great debate on whether what I was saying in 'Ironic' was ironic wasn't a traumatic debate. I'd always embraced the fact that every once in a while I'd be the malapropism queen. And when Glen and I were writing it, we definitely were not doggedly making sure that everything was technically ironic. It's a testament to the fact that we didn't think it was going to be put under the microscope by 30 million people. For me the sweetest moment came in New York when a woman came up to me in a record store and said, 'So all those things in the "Ironic" aren't ironic.' And then she said, 'And that's the irony.' I said, 'Yup.' To me it's a real snapshot of a nineteen-year-old's definition and version of how life worked at the time. All that 'Ironic' touches on spawned all my future inquiries into and current understandings of the mysteries of life. ”

Irish comedian Ed Byrne has performed a skit in which he jokingly attacks the song for its lack of ironies
(as seen above in Fisha's Post)​

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dustybroom

Staff online

Members online