Aerosmith: A Band Members Journey

Cosmic Harmony

Reaction score
Re: Aerosmith September 2010 Band of the Month

I did have the debut on cassette in my high school days and I have no real complaints. Dream On is such a classic. Aerosmith used to be my favorite band ever but I always thought Steve's voice changed so much. It was deeper rather than the raspiness I loved when I was first exposed to the band through the Pump era Aerosmith. What It Takes is still my all time favorite Aerosmith song! :D

"What It Takes" isn't a song that you often see listed as someone's favorite Aerosmith song. It's not my favorite but I still think it's a great song. :grinthumb

I hear around these parts often times how much people love earlier Aerosmith so much more than the band from about "Permanent Vacation" onward and I have to say that I love a healthy mix of both eras. Whether it's the hard rock boogie woogie of "Mama Kin" and "Same Old Song And Dance", the huge ballads like "I Don't Wanna Miss A Thing" and "Hole in my Soul", or hidden gems like "Fallen Angels" and "Fever" I just love Aerosmith as a whole. :good

DaKillerWolf

Cosmic Time Warp Warrior
Reaction score

Yeah , I have to concur with the sentiment that the early stuff is the very best of their stuff. The first four albums are my favorites by far with Get Your Wings and Rocks battling it out for first followed by Toys and then the debut. I do like most of the albums I have heard by them ( a few singles aside ) but not anything near as much as those four.

Great start Magic some interesting tidbits so far. :grinthumb

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score

Steven Tyler

stevetyler.jpg

Personal Information:

Birth Name: Steven Victor Tallarico
Name Change: To Steven Tyler in 1972
Born: March 26, 1948
Current Age: 62
Zodiac Sign: Aries
Ancestry: Italian and German (paternal), Cherokee and Russian (maternal)
Siblings: Older Sister, Lynda
Began Music Career: 1964
First Band: Strangeurs, later changed to Chain Reaction
Instruments: Drums, Harmonica, Piano, Keyboards, Guitar, Flute, Saxophone, Trumpet
Rolling Stone Ranks: #99 as greatest vocalist of all time
Honorary Degree: Boston's Berklee College of Music in 2003
Grammy Awards: 1990, 1993, 1994, 1998
VH1 Ranks: #21 as the Sexiest Artist of All Time
Notable Trademark: Multiple scarfs tied to his microphone

Biography:

Steven Victor Tallarico was born in Scarsdale, New York on March 26, 1948 to parents Sue and Victor. The family later moved to Yonkers, New York. Steven began in music learning piano from his father, who had a passion for classical music and taught music at the Cardinal Spellman High School in the Bronx. His father was also the leader of the Vic Tallarico Orchestra. Steven began his singing career in a Presbyterian church choir in the Bronx.

In 1964, Steven started his first serious musical band, the Strangeurs, where he was the drummer. The Strangeurs were a cover band playing mostly local gigs throughout the New England area. Later, Strangeurs changed names to Chain Reaction along with some band member changes. Chain Reaction received some notoriety as the opening act for The Beach Boys and The Yardbirds.
Chain reaction band members:

1176873029_f.jpg

Steve Tally (Steven Tallarico) - lead vocals
Don Sloan (Don Solomon) - keyboards
Peter Stahl - guitar
Alan Strohmayer - bass
Barry Shore (Barry Shapiro) - drum

Chain Reaction also was Steven’s first band to make formal recordings before disbanding in 1968, 4 singles:

When I Need You
The Sun
Ever Lovin’ Man
You Should Have Been Here Yesterday

The Tallarico family spent many summers in Sunapee, NH where Steven met Joe Perry and Tom Hamilton in the summer of 1969. These two had a band, called Jam Band, and Steven Tallarico loved their style of music and “screw-it-all” attitudes. In 1970, Steven, Joe, and Tom, along with Steven’s high school friend and origianl Stranguers band mate, Ray Tabano, began playing together. Another friend of Steven’s, Joey Kramer (a drummer) was also invited to come play.

Voila! Aerosmith is born.

307paiw.jpg

Stay tuned for more Steven Tyler tidbits...............................................

METALPRIEST

Reaction score

Congrats to Aerosmith!!! Alright! :cheers2

I also didn't know about Ray Tabano...wow that is something. He took two firings very well. :heheh: Seems like a hell of a guy to wish to remain friends after all this.

I love these real early look backs in our BOTM threads. Always my favorite reads. :cheers2

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score

More Steven Tyler facts……………………..

Tyler has been married twice. He fathered one child with first wife, Cyrinda Foxe; Mia Tyler, whom is a model and actress. He fathered two children with his second wife, Teresa Barrick; Chelsea Tallarico and Taj Tallarico, whom have stayed out of any type of show business. He also had an affair with Bebe Buell in which he fathered Liv Tyler, model and actress. Liv is Steven’s eldest child.
Liv Tyler
liv-tyler-20080530012417851_640w.jpg

Mia Tyler
293.Tyler.Mia.081808.jpg

Chelsea Tallarico
[ f3z29t.jpg
Taj Tallarico
taj2.jpg
section_taj.jpg

Steven Tyler has always been busy singing and involved with numerous music projects over the years:

1968 backing vocals for a band called The Left Banke off their album "The Left Banke Too". Steven Tyler sang backgound vocals on "Nice To See You" and "My Friend Today." Steven also sang backup vocals and played tambourine on the song "Dark Is The Bark".

1975 Martin Mull, who has made several comedy albums in the 70’s, Steven Tyler sang backing vocals on the album "Days Of Wine And Neuroses" in the song "Do The Dog."

martinmull424502.jpg

1977 He sang background vocals on an album by Artful Dodger - "Babes On Broadway" on the song ‘Alright’. Brad Whitford also has a guest appearance on this album.

artful%20dodger%20-%20babes%20on%20broadway%20(resized)gdmac.jpg

1978 The album “Double Trouble” by Frakie Miller featured Tyler on harmonica, vocals, and backing vocals, although the album doesn’t actually list the songs Tyler has vocals on it is believed he appears on:

A4. You'll Be In My Mind - background vocals
B1. Love Waves - harmonica
B4. Love Is All Around - background vocals
B5. Goodnight Sweetheart - background vocals

1277141630_h90235btfcr.jpg

1986 Run DMC “Raising Hell”. There is a cover of “Walk This Way” where Tyler and Perry both are featured.

(cover your ears Tomcat and LG!!!)

1989 Alice Cooper “Trash” has a duet with Cooper and Tyler on the song “Only My Heart Talkin”. This album also features Tom Hamilton, Joey Kramer, and Joe Perry.

1989 Motley Crue “Dr Feelgood” Tyler arranged the song “Slice of Your Pie” and sang background vocals on “Sticky Sweet” and Aerosmith’s co-engineer of Permanent Vacation, Bob Rock, also sang some back ground vocals.

1997Marry Me Jane “Tick” Tyler sang background vocals on the song “I’m That Bad”.

1998 Richie Sambora “Undiscovered Soul” Tyler played harmonica on the song “If God Was A Woman”

1998 Ringo Starr “Verticle Man” Tyler sang background vocals on "Mindfield" & "La De Da", played harmonica and sang background vocals on "Love Me Do" and "I Was Walkin'", and played drums on "Drift Away."

2001 Pink “"M!ssundaztood" Tyler sang a duet with Pink in a song which Richie Supa wrote called “Misery”.

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score

Awesome! I only knew about a handful of these! Regardless though, the fact that after all those decades the list isn't bigger shows how much of a priority Aerosmith was. I laughed about your Run DMC warning. Don't care! It was a great collaboration. Steven and Joe obviously had a great time with it and it brought out even more energy in that song! Keep it up Magic! This is a great read! :grinthumb

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score

I liked the Run DMC remix, myself. But..........I know how some feel about rap-rock mixes :D

I have a ton more stuff to post on Tyler. He is no doubt the busy body of Aerosmith with Joe Perry coming in a second place behind him. I am hoping people will see or hear stuff they have never heard before :)

Cosmic Harmony

Reaction score

I'm actually pretty familiar with a lot of these songs and I knew Steven had a part in most of those. I never knew he sang on "Only My Heart Talkin'" and "Sticky Sweet" though. I listened to them immediately after reading that and went "Damn...how did I never notice him before?" :bonk: :heheh:

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score

Other Steven Tyler and Aerosmith sightings

1993 Mrs. Doubtfire soundtrack “Dude Looks Like a Lady”

1993 Waynes World

1994 Ace Ventura soundtrack “Line UP”

1997 GAP Commercial

2000 Charlie’s Angels soundtrack “Angels Eyes”

Superbowl XXXV (2001)

United We Stand Benefit Concert 2001 (after 9/ll)

2003 Rugrats Go Wild soundtrack “Lizard Love”

AC/DC induction into the Hall of Fame 2003

2004 World Series National Anthem

2004 Polar Express

2005 Santana featuring Steven Tyler “Just Feel Better”

2006 Boston Pops Orchestra and Steven Tyler perform “Dream On”, “Walk This Way”

2006 Keith Anderson (country singer) with Steven Tyler

2006 Two and a Half Men (tv show)

2008 Steven Tyler with Billy Joel at Shea Stadium

2008 Trans Siberian Orchestra with Steven Tyler perform "Sweet Emotion" and "Dream On"

2008 Chris Botti (Jazz Trumpet ) and Steven Tyler (smile is dedicated to Tylers Dad and you get to see him in the video)

2010 SNL25th Anniversay party jam (he sings CC Rider with Dan Akroyd, Gary Bussy, and others)

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bringzip

Staff online

Members online