1970's Soudtracks. Grease VS. Saturday Night Fever

1970's Soundtrack Battle: Grease Vs. Saturday Night Fever

• Total voters

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
Saturday Night Fever easily for me, I can't stand anything about "Grease" the only good thing is they never made a sequel.:D

stepcousin

stuck in the 70's
Reaction score
ok, I love Olivia Newton-John but alot of the songs on Grease were kinda ****. SNF had some tremendous disco songs on it.

ILoveJimmyPage

Reaction score
Saturday Night Fever easily for me, I can't stand anything about "Grease" the only good thing is they never made a sequel.:D

They made a Grease 2 with Michelle Pfeiffer LG. But I suppose it's a good thing you never saw it because it was an absolute mess IMO. :bonk:

Tray73

இڿڰۣ-ڰۣ—
Reaction score
^^^ I had the misfortune of seeing that! Absolutely dire!

I voted for Grease as when I was a kid I was obsessed with that movie and the soundtrack!

Lynch

Here for the cookies and the tunes
Reaction score
Saturday Night Fever has one song that most people remember and that's "Stayin' Alive". Grease however I think is much more memorable as a whole so it gets my vote (also I like it more. ;)).
one song that people remember?

Stayin' Alive
Night Fever
How Deep Is Your Love
If I Can't Have You

... all 4 of those songs were #1 singles. That's not including the rest of the songs on that soundtrack that were played on a regular basis on the radio (and at 'the discos'). I'd guess that most people that lived through the era remember more than just one song.

Just my own opinion, but I don't know how Grease could be considered more memorable. I can't speak for everyone's personal preference or own memories, but by my count, there were at least 11 songs from SNF that got regular airplay, the Grease soundtrack couldn't boast much more than half of that (6 by my count, but I could be missing one, maybe)

Lynch

Reaction score
They made a Grease 2 with Michelle Pfeiffer LG. But I suppose it's a good thing you never saw it because it was an absolute mess IMO. :bonk:
Scrolling down, I was just going to say the same thing. Terrible movie. Michelle Pfeiffer and Adrian Zmed. There were a couple of the lesser characters from the first one (ie: the coach) but overall, it was basically a totally different cast.

ANF

Reaction score
As a film I much prefer Grease, it's a timeless film that never loses its entertainment value.

But as an album Saturday Night Fever is amazing, and it sounds much better when you're not watching the awful fashion that went along with the era. The Bee Gees were unstoppable at the time and the album is excellent.

ANF

Reaction score
one song that people remember?

Stayin' Alive
Night Fever
How Deep Is Your Love
If I Can't Have You

... all 4 of those songs were #1 singles. That's not including the rest of the songs on that soundtrack that were played on a regular basis on the radio (and at 'the discos'). I'd guess that most people that lived through the era remember more than just one song.

Just my own opinion, but I don't know how Grease could be considered more memorable. I can't speak for everyone's personal preference or own memories, but by my count, there were at least 11 songs from SNF that got regular airplay, the Grease soundtrack couldn't boast much more than half of that (6 by my count, but I could be missing one, maybe)

You must remember one thing though. Cosmic Harmony and I were both born after the disco backlashes (well it happened as I was being born, but whatever). For many years SNF carried this stigma of being the worst of 1970's excesses. OTOH, Grease has remained a popular movie through the decades. There are many teenagers who have no idea what Saturday Night Fever even is who love Grease, because that movie has transcended generations and has remained very popular. They re-released it in 1998 and then again last year.

Just saying, that is why a lot of people might consider Grease more memorable. Every year there's a new set of 12 year old girls watching Grease and developing a crush on Danny... while SNF is more or less a product of the era it came out. The music from SNF has outlasted the film if you ask me.

A good 80's comparison would be Flashdance vs. Dirty Dancing. Flashdance is now seen as this excessively 80's film that hasn't held up remarkably well to a lot of people and is mainly popular to nostalgia now, while Dirty Dancing remains popular to people who weren't even born when it came out. Flashdance has scenes that are very iconic and people know (like the audition scene, and the Maniac workout sequence) but as a whole the movie hasn't reached out to as many generations as Dirty Dancing has been able to.

Lynch

Reaction score
^^^ When speaking of the movies, I'd agree completely. however I assumed we were talking about the Soundtracks to each of those movies.

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hannibal37

Staff online

Members online