1966 in Music

Fug

Reaction score
Re: It was 40 Years Ago Today...

It's interesting to speculate what made this year so wonderful. Two years before, the industry had been turned on it's ear by the success of the Beatles. Suits must've been getting fired right and left at every record company(THINK: Capital's dismissal of the Fab Four..etc). The doors were wide open. They closed soon enough...and it doesn't take a genius to see the malaise that exists to this day. It's Bobby Rydell and "How Much Is That Doggie In The Window" all over again...with a different beat.

"Suits must've been getting fired right and left at every record company(THINK: Capital's dismissal of the Fab Four..etc)."

Didn't happen. EMI Records in the UK owned Capitol Records in the US. EMI sent several Beatle recordings to Capitol for release in the USA, however, Capitol refused to release the tracks. Thats why you see P.S. I Love You, Please, Please Me and Love Me Do on the VEEJAY label. It wasn't until I Want To Hold Your Hand appeared that Capitol Records realized that they couldn't ignore The Beatles any longer and released the track, along with all the previously mentioned tracks, in the US.

On a side note, Capitol Records (Canada) did release the early stuff like Please, Please Me, PS I Love You and She Loves You, several months before they were ever played in America.

troggy

aka Billy Bubba
Reaction score
1966 is great for songs like the one below, just great teen energy. A shame rock and roll ever had to "mature".

Death on Credit

Reaction score
Looking through my iTunes, I'm surprised by how few albums I have from that year. If Blonde on Blonde were the only thing released that entire year, it would still be one of the best years for music ever. Revolver, Freak Out! and some of the Stones' singles don't hurt either.

I used to love Pet Sounds, but for some reason I just can't stand it anymore. It's just too...pleasant.

FretBuzz

Monkey Man
Reaction score
I love the music (and pop culture in general) from the mid-sixties too. Part of that is nostalgia (I was born in '61) but I honestly think that rock, pop, and soul music reached some sort creative peak during those years.

I have a compilation of music from 1966, here's a pic of its cover:

coolestyear1966cd.jpg

Its got a lot of fun tunes on it (plus some weird stuff, such as a couple of tv commercials). Its well worth seeking out a copy if you're a fan of music from 1966.

troggy

aka Billy Bubba
Reaction score
Continuing, here's an example of a great garage ballad from 1966.

The same Ides of March who'd do "Vehicle" a bit down the road.

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
allmylife11

Members online