1966 in Music

Spike

Rock & Soul Archaelogist
Reaction score
IMHO, 1966 was the zenith of 60s rock & soul music. You could turn on AM radio in February 1966 and hear "Uptight" by Stevie Wonder, "19th Nervous Breakdown" by the Stones, followed by "California Dreamin'" by the Mamas and the Papas. While we didn't know it at the time, 1967 would see the emergence of FM radio, the Summer of Love and the rise of psychedelia. While those developments produced some fantastic music, the innocent energy of 1966 was soon lost as divisions between white & black; AM & FM; straight & freak; and hawks & doves etc would soon divide America. But 40 Years Ago today, "These Boots Were Made for Walking" was #1 in the nation and the future seemed bright... :)

What do you think?

Spike

Spike

Rock & Soul Archaelogist
Reaction score
Re: It was 40 Years Ago Today...

Here are some of my favorites from 1966, in no particular order. Which do you like? Which don't you like? What is missing?

1. "My Generation" - The Who
2. "I Fought the Law" - The Bobby Fuller Four
3. "Cool Jerk" - The Capitols
4. "Good Lovin'" - The Young Rascals
5. "This Old Heart of Mine" - The Isley Brothers
6. "Eight Miles High" - The Byrds
7. "Hold on I'm Comin'" - Sam and Dave
8. "Paint It Black" - The Rolling Stones
9. "Ain't Too Proud to Beg" - The Temptations
10. "California Dreamin'" - The Mamas and Papas
11. "Uptight" - Stevie Wonder
12. "Hey Joe" - The Leaves
13. "Summertime" - Billy Stewart
14. "Wild Thing" - The Troggs
15. "Land of 1000 Dances" - Wilson Pickett
16. "Psychotic Reaction" - The Count Five
17. "You Can't Hurry Love" - The Supremes
18. "Sunny Afternoon" - The Kinks
19. "Reach Out I'll Be There" - The Four Tops
20. "Devil With a Blue Dress/Good Golly Miss Molly" - Mitch Ryder & The Detroit Wheels
21. "When a Man Loves a Woman" - Percy Sledge
22. "Good Vibrations" - The Beach Boys
23. "Knock on Wood" - Eddie Floyd
24. "Daytripper" - The Beatles
25. "Hungry Freaks Daddy" - The Mothers of Invention

Spike

Wolf

Reaction score

98.6 - Keith
Crying - Jay/Americans
East West - Herman's Hermits
Born A Woman - Sandra Posey
Elusive Butterfly - Bob Lind

Spike

Rock & Soul Archaelogist
Reaction score

Wolf said:
98.6 - Keith...
...Elusive Butterfly - Bob Lind

As someone sometimes known as Keith, the first was not a favorite of mine. :) But the reference to 98.6 reminded me that I've left off one of my faves: "96 Tears" by ? and the Mysterions. Elusive Butterfly is a great tune that I'd forgotten about.

Spike
aka Keith

Drummer Chris

Reaction score

Great time for music, Spike....no doubts about it....I love watching Ed Sullivan shows from this era, some of the rock, soul and pop was outstanding!

Jack D.

Reaction score

A few songs I did'nt see on the list.

River Deep, Mountain High..Ike and Tina Turner. There were some great songs by Tina both with and without Ike.
Sounds of Silence...Simon & Garfunkel. They had several big hits that year and the album "Sounds of Silence" which was a masterpiece.
"Shapes of Things"...The Yardbirds. Need I say more.

By the way. Does anyone have thoughts on the mysterious death of Bobby Fuller? Suicide, accidental, maybe the law got him.

algernon

Reaction score

PET SOUNDS. You're right, Spike...it was a watershed year. The tip of the mountain.

algernon

Reaction score

Here's another one-hit wonder from that fabulous year: "Walkin' My Cat Named Dog" by Norma Tanega. One GROOVY record.

algernon

Reaction score

It's interesting to speculate what made this year so wonderful. Two years before, the industry had been turned on it's ear by the success of the Beatles. Suits must've been getting fired right and left at every record company(THINK: Capital's dismissal of the Fab Four..etc). The doors were wide open. They closed soon enough...and it doesn't take a genius to see the malaise that exists to this day. It's Bobby Rydell and "How Much Is That Doggie In The Window" all over again...with a different beat.

Spike

Rock & Soul Archaelogist
Reaction score

Jack D. said:
A few songs I did'nt see on the list.

River Deep, Mountain High..Ike and Tina Turner. There were some great songs by Tina both with and without Ike.
Sounds of Silence...Simon & Garfunkel. They had several big hits that year and the album "Sounds of Silence" which was a masterpiece.
"Shapes of Things"...The Yardbirds. Need I say more.

1. I think Sounds of Silence was released in 1965, or it would definitely be on the list.
2. I have mixed feelings about River Deep, Mountain High. While Spector's ambition is evident and Tina's performance inspired, the whole thing is a little overwrought.
3. The Yardbirds deserves inclusion. Good call.

Spike

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JessKellow

Members online