Yuck!!!

Fever

Reaction score
There are quite a few pop stars that have never been on a show like Idol and are worse the Idol contestants but somehow they are successful.
I mean people like Kesha or Justin Bieber-come on.They aren't any better than Idol contestants.

Most Idol contestants never go on to have huge success-even the winners or runner ups.

Dave78

Dave's not here, man
Reaction score
Maybe I'm too accustomed to discovering new talent from the radio, long after these musicians have gone through several bands and have slaved away in the clubs by night for a few years while shopping their demo tapes to record execs by day, in between shifts waiting tables at Hamburger Hamlet.

Unless you were "discovered", that was the typical evolution of a musician, afterwhich the record execs would have signed all the talent worth signing, and everyone else kept on plugging away.

So I suppose that's what AI is. A way to fast-track your career and bypass the groups, the clubs, the demo tapes and bussing tables for five years. But then they don't get to drink beer in the parking lot behind the Roxy at 2 AM either so... :D

Seriously though... I guess my main gripe I have with AI is I hate the notion of being told who America's next musical "idol" will be. Let me make that decision after I hear them on the radio.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
My approach to all this is simple, at this point in my life time is precious so I will spend the hour that watching AI takes, on things I already enjoy.

Besides I don't need any show as a source for new music, my friends Sooty, Sox, Sweaty, LOU, MP, Bucky, Sal, Fox, Hep, Flower, Magic, EB, Cosmic, I could go on but you get the picture, have provided more new bands for me to check out than I can list in here.:cheers:

Besides, if I ever met Simon Cowell in person, chances are he would need medical attention in a matter of minutes.:heheh:

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
Sorry Sooty, I just don't need anything AI has to offer, I hate all reality shows equally, that is my perspective. Time is precious, and I have no trouble finding ways to spend it on things I do enjoy.

Magic has introduced me to the Worthy artists that she found through Idol, I will read your new thread like I always do, but Pop rock is not my thing.

TheFeldster

Mr Kite
Reaction score
There's an Australian Idol contestant I've been meaning to do a thread on, but I'll wait until I've actually finished a certain big one I'm working on ;)

But not all Idol contestants are doom and gloom - just 99.999999% of them :tongue:

Hepcat

retired
Reaction score
To paraphrase Jerry Seinfeld...

"I have not watched one episode of American Idol... in my entire life...ever!" :D

Nor have I. But I think I saw part of two reality shows somewhere, "The Bachelor and "Island of Survivors" or something - but not on my own TV.

:rolleyes:

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrazyLionEye

Members online