• Uncut

Votes: 1 6.3%
  • Unrestrained

Votes: 1 6.3%

• Total voters

Dairenn

Recording Artist
Reaction score
So to followup on my other post asking about magazines, it seems like nine seem to be the ones of choice. So I wanted to further narrow down the most popular of these among the members here, particularly for discovering NEW bands.

rtbuck

Reaction score
Mojo got my vote because I'm usually taken in by the classic band on the cover but I always end up learning of new bands

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
I am only familiar with Rolling Stone, it used to be one of the best magazines in the 70's and 80's, but I haven't read it for decades, and I don't know anything about the other magazines Dairenn.

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I have to go with Mojo....

but I think the best NEW magazine would have to be Decible.

Zombeels

Reaction score
From the list Mojo is the best. It covers the best new bands while it still looks back at the past. Missing from the list is CMJ.

aeroplane

In Urgent Need of Advice
Reaction score
Used to be Metal Edge but the magazine went downhill at scary speeds the second Gerri Miller left.

FretBuzz

Monkey Man
Reaction score
For new stuff, its mainly Guitar World & Guitar Player for me.

...and a local freebie called "Stomp & Stammer" that reviews new cds and club shows, interviews new bands, etc.

aeroplane

In Urgent Need of Advice
Reaction score
I used to like Goldmine in the 1990's, which was more of a newspaper style than a magazine. They focused on the classic rock and blues rock side of things with solid interviews and their writers also had a very obvious preference for recordings in vinyl.

However, to pick it up outside of subscribing, it required a trip to a big box book store chain that had several racks of magazines, including a full dedicated music rack. No local store with a smaller magazine rack ever carried it near me.

I stopped getting Circus when they completely eliminated "hair band" coverage in the early 1990's to focus solely on the so-called alternative/grunge scene. Hit Parader, Face and Rip also did a similar thing, though to a lesser extent. They still reviewed 80's rock albums, reported on them in the news feed and would do maybe one interview or story a month on an 80's rock artist (instead of several as had been the case in the past).

Today I am more aware of the business aspect of running a magazine than I was as a kid. So I understand these magazines were merely trying to survive and incorporate a bunch of new bands who were on the radio, but it didn't make me a happy subscriber at the time. I was pissed.

Last edited:

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LongIshmael

Members online