You and punk!

Astrid Kirchherr65

Classic 60's Chick
Reaction score
I disagree. I don't think that pissing anyone off was/is integral to punk. It does not have to be angry. The Ramones weren't angry. The Dead boys weren't angry. Neither were the Damned. Nor Blondie. Nihilism doesn't have to incorporate anger.

I'm saying that simplistic fun and a rebellion against the music of their older hippie siblings was at the core of punk rock in emporiums such as CBGB's.

:guitar:

Well , then 'rebellion against music of their older hippie siblings' was the'man' in this case ? Maybe I should have said

'rebellion' you articulated this better then I :D

But no The Ramones weren't really piss off as much as the Sex Pistols....but they weren't conforming to the arena rock thing that started taking over the airwaves in this period

They were rebelling against this in their own way but 'Keeping Rocking Roll Alive' :grinthumb

Foxhound

retired
Reaction score
Astrid said:
Well , then 'rebellion against music of their older hippie siblings' was the'man' in this case?

Well that could be but I think that's stretching it. "The man" was never used in that sense in the mid-seventies. The term wasn't used to mean hippies. Moreover, while present day bands such as Greenday and NOFX might think of themselves as rebelling against the man, they're certainly not thinking of beaded hippies when they say that.

Astrid said:
But no The Ramones weren't really piss off as much as the Sex Pistols....but they weren't conforming to the arena rock thing that started taking over the airwaves in this period.

I agree. Punks were rebelling against the arena rock of bands such as Queen.

Astrid said:
They were rebelling against this in their own way but 'Keeping Rocking Roll Alive'

Yes, that's precisely what I'm saying!

:grinthumb

Astrid Kirchherr65

Classic 60's Chick
Reaction score
Whattt no highlight of me saying YOU ARTICULTED better than I ?
;)

Ok they we're REBELLING against Hippies lol

And I love Queen so I can't say I agree with them..I was thinking more like JOURNEY /STYX/ ect

Or am I using the wrong term in this case ? :D

Foxhound

retired
Reaction score
...the Circle Jerks(who also do a hilarious Punked up medley of 70's AM Radio hits on their 'Golden Shower of Hits' album)....

Yes, the Circle Jerks were a band that stayed loyal to the true spirit of punk!

Attachments

• A circle 1.jpg
    A circle 1.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 30
  • A Circle.jpg
    A Circle.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 30

Groovy Man

I'm Not Like Everybody Else
Reaction score
To me, the notion that punk rock was rebelling against ''Arena rock'' and ''trying to keep rock and roll alive'' is silly...over blown...and hype....

They were rebelling against Arena Rock? - gee, how important and radical and cool was that?

:lmao:

Who the hell cares?

Especially when Arena Rock and the bands that were filling arenas were putting out better music. Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, The Rolling Stones, Kansas, Boston, Kiss, Foreigner, Aerosmith, Ted Nugent, Van Halen were filling arenas for all the hungry rock fans, heck, even The Grateful Dead were doing it too. Most people didn't give a crap about ''"Anarchy In The U.K.", and ''God Save the Queen" in the U.S. in the mid-late 70's.

Punk bands were a bunch of twits.

Personally, I could care less what punks were angry about. I was angry punks were putting out crappy music and complaining about ''Arena Rock''. :D

rtbuck

Reaction score
For me, when I got into the whole Punk thing it was because it was fun & a lot of the music was full of energy & kicked ass. I liked the hard rock/metal scene of the 80's as much as punk & had fun with that as well.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jik32

Members online