You and punk!

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
Teenage Head was one of the most Fun Punk bands ever. I used to have one of their albums years ago, they didn't take themselves too seriously at all. No surprise our resident Scholar "Buckmaster" knows more about them than I do.:grinthumb

Foxhound

retired
Reaction score
I always heard good things about the Viletones but they were a bit before my time so I never heard them

I saw the Viletones in concert several times in 1977-78. In fact, they lived in my neighbourhood and I saw them on the street a few times dressed in horizontally striped shirts, black stove pipe pants and either grease/Beatle boots or Converse All-Stars.

I have their two EPs on their own label, Vile Records. Here's their self-titled one:

Attachments

• A Vile.jpg
    A Vile.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 42

Foxhound

retired
Reaction score
Teenage Head was one of the most Fun Punk bands ever. I used to have one of their albums years ago, they didn't take themselves too seriously at all. :grinthumb

Correct. Just like the Ramones, Dead Boys, Viletones, "B" Girls, Vibrators and the Damned didn't take themselves seriously. I actually don't think any band that takes itself seriously can properly be styled as "punk".

That's why I think the Clash betrayed the punk genre.

:drums:

Last edited:

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
You won't get me That easily Sly Fox.;)

The Clash is on a different Higher level than those bands you listed.:grinthumb

Foxhound

retired
Reaction score
A higher level than the "B" Girls who decided to form a band when they met in the washroom of the Plaza II Hotel on Bloor Street? I think not. These girls could play as many as seven or eight songs in a row before having to repeat any. I know. I saw them do it in 1977.

Attachments

• A B-girls 1.jpg
    A B-girls 1.jpg
    327.1 KB · Views: 42
  • A B-girl.jpg
    A B-girl.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 42

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
I think you are just 'aving me on'...:lmao:

I simply can't take such comparisons seriously, perhaps when you are thinking more clearly you will come to the same conclusion.:D

Foxhound

retired
Reaction score
Let me present to you my closing argument - this picture of Cynthia Ross, the bass "player" of the "B" Girls, with Stiv Bators of the Dead Boys (who were from Cleveland you know):

Attachments

• A Bg.jpg
    A Bg.jpg
    15.2 KB · Views: 40

Aktivator

aka Hightea
Reaction score
Correct. Just like the Ramones, Dead Boys, Viletones, "B" Girls, Vibrators and the Damned didn't take themselves seriously. I actually don't think any band that takes itself seriously can properly be styled as "punk".

That's why I think the Clash betrayed the punk genre.

sorry fox this is a load of crap.
just because some punk band cant properly play an instrument doesn't mean they didn't take what they were doing seriously. Afterall they were all trying to make money(or get laid,or be a star) hence they were in a profession to make money hence they were serious. Blondie, The Ramones, Talking heads, patti smith, television, the sex pistols, etc all in it to make some cash(or be in the limelite) even if that cash was only used to pay for drugs.

Last edited:

Foxhound

retired
Reaction score
Aktivator said:
Afterall they were all trying to make money(or get laid,or be a star) hence they were in a profession to make money hence they were serious....all in it to make some cash(or be in the limelite) even if that cash wa s only used to pay for drugs.

You're stretching the concept of "serious" way beyond its normal boundaries. In fact, you've made it so all-inclusive that it's lost its specific meaning.

Consider. The Electric Light Orchestra wanted to be taken seriously for its music. The members considered themselves serious musicians. Not for a moment though did the Dead Boys consider themselves "serious" musicians. The whole concept would have given them a rich laugh. "Heeeeee, heeee, heeee. Yeah, sure, we're serious musicians alright. Buy our records and come to our concerts and you'll see just how serious we are, heeee, heeee, heeee. You got any smokes?"

A case in point was when I shouted out "You suck!" at a Viletones concert, in early 1978 - to which Syd Leckie a.k.a. **** Dog responded, "Oh, you know how much you're just feeding my ego by telling me that?" Consider what would happen if I shouted out the same thing just as clearly at an Electric Light Orchestra concert. Their rent-a-thugs would be all over me.

Last edited:

Astrid Kirchherr65

Classic 60's Chick
Reaction score
You're stretching the concept of "serious" way beyond its normal boundaries. In fact, you've made it so all-inclusive that it's lost its specific meaning.

Consider. The Electric Light Orchestra wanted to be taken seriously for its music. The members considered themselves serious musicians. Not for a moment though did the Dead Boys consider themselves "serious" musicians. The whole concept would have given them a rich laugh. "Heeeeee, heeee, heeee. Yeah, sure, we're serious musicians alright. Buy our records and come to our concerts and you'll see just how serious we are, heeee, heeee, heeee. you got any smokes?"

A case in point was when I shouted out "You suck!" at a Viletones concert, in early 1978 - to which Syd Leckie a.k.a. **** Dog responded "Oh, you know how much you're just feeding my ego by telling me that?" Consider what would happen if I shouted out the same thing just as clearly at an Electric Light Orchestra concert. Their rent-a-thugs would be all over me.

:lmao: Not say I agree or disagree with you Fox,

but this was funny ! :oyea: Rent A thug !

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
V1nnipoof

Staff online

Members online