Yes (Official Thread)

don1960lp

Reaction score
Favorite prog rock band by far. Close to the Edge being their magnus opus in every way IMO. Who write lyrics like this anymore?

A seasoned witch could call you from the depths of your disgrace
And rearrange your liver to the solid mental grace
And achieve it all with music that came quickly from afar
Then taste the fruit of man recorded losing all against the hour
And assessing points to nowhere, leading every single one
A dewdrop can exalt us like the music of the sun
And take away the plain in which we move
And choose the course you're running

Bonham'ssqueakypedal

Reaction score
I know someone who saw Yes yesterday in Texas but now that Squire has died i don't think any of the 1970s members are even in the band. Maybe quotes should be placed around the band name. Or, instead of Yes, call them Maybe.

Right. As a matter of fact Steve Howe and Alan White just joined last week.

E-Z

Reaction score
I have been listening to the Drama album a lot lately from 1980 mainly because of the two Buggles guys Trevor Horn and Geoff Downs being in the band at that time and the album is starting to grow on me quite a bit not that I am a Yes fan as such and hardly listening to their other albums normally. Back in the mid 1980s I remember either Trevor Horn or Geoff Downs (probably Trevor Horn?) turning up on the long running BBC radio programme Desert Island Discs where a guest picks about 10 favourite records that they would take with them to a desert island plus a favourite book and one luxury item anyway amongst the 10 records that were chosen were around 3 or 4 Yes records and I vaguely recall the comment of "I was always into Yes" being made.

Also from 1980 I also remember some of the Yes fans reactions in the music press to the news that the two Buggles guys had joined the band which was pretty disparaging with one guy I recall saying something like "How can Trevor Horn sing Wondrous Stories?."

On the reverse side of the coin I watched a 140 minutes Yes concert recorded at the Montreux Jazz festival in 2003 and to be honest it didn't do much for me?. Jon Anderson's singing voice is I presume 'an acquired taste' and Steve Howe's guitar picking was 'very clean' and he also played around 6 different guitars through the whole set and Chris Squires 'bass solo' was certainly 'different' from the normal bass guitar solo to say the least and Rick Wakeman appeared not to have broken sweat and looked fairly bored with the whole proceedings?.

Last edited:

Nai Noswad

Reaction score
Yes are like Genesis... in the sense that the music and song construction is so clever and mind boggling.
Fragile, was the gate inwardly for me... and after that it was a great journey.. I own every album on original vinyl except 'Tales'.. Bruford was a tour de force and when Trevor Horn joined... I was equally spellbound.
This recorded at The Mountain Studio in Switzerland..
Wonderous Stories.

Jake T

Running With The Pack
Reaction score
I remember when a friend had taken some acid or mushrooms or something like that and came over to our house to party. I put "Close To The Edge" on the turntable and he parked himself in front of the record player and kept playing that album over and over again for a couple of hours. LOL

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
They have a new album coming out in The Quest which I'll likely pick up.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jester143

Members online

No members online now.