8. Total Eclipse of the Heart - Bonnie Tyler
7. You Spin Me Round Like a Record - Dead Or Alive
6. Wake Me Up Before You Go Go - Wham!
5. Safety Dance - Men Without Hats
4. Physical - Olvia Newton-John
3. Dancing In the Street - David Bowie and Mick Jagger
2. Separate Ways - Journey
1. Rock Me Tonight - Billy Squier

I hated the eighties, but none of these are as bad as stated and certainly not the music. No musicians can be expected to work outside their own time and with the benefit of hindsight. I'm no fan of political correctness, but some of the comments are also also offensive. My favourite is Journey's, which cuts between them playing air instruments and the actual instruments - nothing wrong with it at all. I am only in agreement with the observation that Squier's video did him no favours, but whether or not it finished his career is another matter.

These are not in YT, so I was not sure how to embed them:

Link: Top 10 Ridiculous 1980s Music Videos | Watch the video - Yahoo Yahoo UK

Aero

Reaction score
I don't find any of her comments offensive, but then again, I hate political correctness.

And those videos were some of the worst of the 80s, especially the Safety Dance.

Big Ears

Music Lover
Reaction score
I don't find any of her comments offensive, but then again, I hate political correctness.

And those videos were some of the worst of the 80s, especially the Safety Dance.

I was thinking of the word 'spastic' as a derogatory term. I have worked with children with cerebral palsy and it is no joke. Perhaps it has a different meaning in the US.

The videos do not seem any worse than many of the others from the eighties in my opinion. Yahoo! have created lists of The Who songs, for example, but I couldn't face more of their comments.

Last edited:

CREAM'd

Reaction score
I was thinking of the word 'spastic' as a derogatory term. I have worked with children with spina bifida and it is no joke. Perhaps it has a different meaning in the US.

The videos do not seem any worse than many of the others from the eighties in my opinion. Yahoo! have created lists of The Who songs, for example, but I couldn't face more of their comments.

If someone over here used the word 'spastic' in a video or review they'd be sacked. Terrible thing to call someone.

Aero

Reaction score
If someone over here used the word 'spastic' in a video or review they'd be sacked. Terrible thing to call someone.

Interesting. It just means "freaking out" here in the US and has nothing to do with children at all. It's more of an 80s term but it's still used from time to time, usually to lightly make fun of someone who can't remain calm.

Big Ears

Music Lover
Reaction score
Spastic is an old term for cerebral palsy and is derogatory in the UK. I have no medical training, but cerebral palsy is congenital and results in weakened muscle control/strength. Sufferers often require inordinate amounts of physiotherapy in order to breath. I had no idea it was a routine expression in America. Serious illness is one of the increasingly few places where we tend to draw the line and CREAM'd is right, you would probably lose your job immediately.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HildredLad

Members online

No members online now.