Worst style of music...... EVER.

Vehicle

Aging Metalhead
Reaction score
I agree with Soot about the vicious cycle. If you're stuck in a place/lifestyle, then that's the only thing you know about.

If you have the artistic bone, then your feelings about that place/lifestyle are the only things you have to express.

In rap's case, it's violence, drugs, oppression, racism, etc.*

All valid topics. My problem with it is the fact that, for majority of the genre, those things are not condemned, but glorified.

I respect genres, even if I don't care for certain ones.

Opera, for instance. You've gotta be deaf not to recognize the incredible power and finesse of those voices.

However, I'd rather listen to complete silence than that stuff. It's a preference.

Same with rap. I've seen a couple of those rap-off things on tv, where they get a mike and freestyle.

It's freaking amazing how these guys come up with stuff off the cuff (I think I just named someone's next album).

To spontaneously rhyme, if front of a crowd? That's impressive. That's a talent not a lot of people have.

But, I still stand by my opinion that it's more poetry than music.

* You will note, I did not include violence against women. I don't give a rat's @ss what the genre is, there is no excuse for abusing women. (abusing anyone, for that matter.)

There might be a need to carry a gun and be on the lookout for trouble. But there is not, in any circumstance, a justifiable reason to treat a woman liked an object lesser than human. GGGRRRRRRRRR.....

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
All valid topics. My problem with it is the fact that, for majority of the genre, those things are not condemned, but glorified.

I don't see the glorification. Maybe I am missing something. :think:

Gangs, rape, murder, hate crimes, hookers, drugs, violence, random shootings........these things are real. I have yet to hear any song, even Rap, that tells people to commit a crime because it is cool!! If there is a song that exists that does, please enlighten me.

Rap is no worse than a movie about violence.......let me retract that....a movie is worse. We get to SEE it and HEAR it.

I don't listen to Rap. I couldn't begin to name any songs about violence without googling. From the videos I have seen (stuff my daughter likes) I don't see the "glorification" factor.

:dunno:

What I have seen is bling, gold teeth, crotch grabbing, scantily dressed girls, pants off the guys behinds, tattoos, and a whole lot of booty shaking! Basically harmless stuff.

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score
I don't see the glorification. Maybe I am missing something. :think:

Gangs, rape, murder, hate crimes, hookers, drugs, violence, random shootings........these things are real. I have yet to hear any song, even Rap, that tells people to commit a crime because it is cool!! If there is a song that exists that does, please enlighten me.

Rap is no worse than a movie about violence.......let me retract that....a movie is worse. We get to SEE it and HEAR it.

I don't listen to Rap. I couldn't begin to name any songs about violence without googling. From the videos I have seen (stuff my daughter likes) I don't see the "glorification" factor.

What I have seen is bling, gold teeth, crotch grabbing, scantily dressed girls, pants off the guys behinds, tattoos, and a whole lot of booty shaking! Basically harmless stuff.

They are talking about one phase of rap which was the gangsta rap stuff that came out in the 90's and not the modern stuff. Most of the people who get the impression that the lyrical content is encouraging rather than autobiographical or cautionary tales are just experiencing the sensationalized media aspect of that time. After all they aren't rap fans so it's not like they are listening beyond what media sources hopped on. Anyway, you are absolutely right about the hypocrisy between violent music and violent movies. If you are a fan of Scarface, Goodfellas, etc. and not rap you are only picking and choosing what violent, misogynistic, foul mouthed gangsta you let slide by for you art and entertainment! :grinthumb

Groovy Man

I'm Not Like Everybody Else
Reaction score
First off, Rap isn't even ''music''...it's a form of mental torture! :wtf:

So, rap should be disqualified from this thread topic. :D

I's rather be waterboarded than listen to rap. :heheh:

Groovy Man

Reaction score
^ Magic...from Wikipedia...Waterboarding is a form of torture, more specifically a type of water torture, in which water is poured over a cloth covering the face and breathing passages of an immobilized captive, causing the individual to experience the sensation of drowning.

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Anyway, you are absolutely right about the hypocrisy between violent music and violent movies. If you are a fan of Scarface, Goodfellas, etc. and not rap you are only picking and choosing what violent, misogynistic, foul mouthed gangsta you let slide by for you art and entertainment! :grinthumb

Thank you! I agree :tup:

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
^ Magic...from Wikipedia...Waterboarding is a form of torture, more specifically a type of water torture, in which water is poured over a cloth covering the face and breathing passages of an immobilized captive, causing the individual to experience the sensation of drowning.

Ewwwwwww!

That would be a scary torture.

Groovy Man

Reaction score
the hypocrisy between violent music and violent movies. If you are a fan of Scarface, Goodfellas, etc. and not rap you are only picking and choosing what violent, misogynistic, foul mouthed gangsta you let slide by for you art and entertainment! :grinthumb

I disagree. One is a movie and the other promotes a life style that drags a group of certain weak-minded people's lives down the sewer. I'm talking about ''hardcore gangsta rap'', that the radio doesn't play and I'm not talking about Eminem white boy rap either.

And BTW, your talking to a person who hates mafia movies too.

Rap is poison to a lot of people. It leads certain people down the wrong path to a lifestyle of destruction.

movies?....not so much,imo....but, that's debatable.

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score
I disagree. One is a movie and the other promotes a life style that drags a group of certain weak-minded people's lives down the sewer. I'm talking about ''hardcore gangsta rap'', that the radio doesn't play and I'm not talking about Eminem white boy rap either.

And BTW, your talking to a person who hates mafia movies too.

Rap is poison to a lot of people. It leads certain people down the wrong path to a lifestyle of destruction.

movies?....not so much,imo....but, that's debatable.

I don't disagree that someone can take something and be influenced by it in a bad way. I do think that gangsters still look cool to people in movies and maybe it's in a less influential way as people can see them as characters and hopefully filter out the reality not to try and mimic them. As far as promoting a lifestyle I think at least today that's shifted. gangster rap to my knowledge doesn't really exist today. The bad influence today simply is about the exaggeration of the instant wealth that is flaunted by being a rap star or even just the glorification of getting money over anything. There seems to be an awareness though that this is not reality even with one of the bigger pop songs of the past year talking about it. Like I said, I don't deny that rap CAN have a bad influence. I don't agree that it has more of a bad influence necessarily than people wanting to emulate their favorite rock n' rollers like Motley Crue, Guns N' Roses, The Rolling Stones, etc. who lived the sex, drugs and rock n' roll lifestyles. :)

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edmerka

Members online