Who's Number One?

Craig in Indy

Your cool Uncle
Reaction score
So which composer is number one in your massive library Craig?

Beethoven is at 44, but close to half of those are multi-disc sets, like the complete sonatas, the complete quartets (two versions), complete piano concerti, and at least 4 or 5 different sets of the complete symphonies, plus a few individual recordings of them.

Mozart stands at 39, again with several multi-disc sets among them, including his complete Masonic music (!).

Mendelssohn would probably be third.

Aktivator

aka Hightea
Reaction score
I do file that way with my Rock and other genres, but Classical it's by Composer, that is the only way to keep them is some kind of order.

Between Beethoven, Haydn, Lizst, Mozart, Shostakovich, Brahms, Chopin, Schubert and others that is over 300 CD's easily, separating them by Symphony Orchestra or Conductor would not work for me.
MY classical collection(esp. the vinyl) is all over the place. I couldn't file them by Composer only because my classical guitar(about 50 strong) and piano collection has too many different composers on one vinyl. I keep all my symphonies together.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
I do have one exception to my system for Classical AK, I have numerous Living Presence compilations of different composers so I keep them together, otherwise it's by composer it's the only way to keep order on the shelves, and I am a little OCD about that in my library.:D

Craig in Indy

Your cool Uncle
Reaction score
How to file classical recordings has always been a conundrum, and probably always will be. I don't know of a good comprehensive strategy. It's about as elusive as the Unified Theory in physics, sort of the Holy Grail for amateur record librarians. You'll have albums with:

1) One work by one composer, performed by one artist/ensemble - easy enough.
2) Several works by one composer, performed by one artist/ensemble - which work do you file under? Usually it's easy to discern which is the major work, but not always.
3) Several works by one composer, performed by different artists/ensembles - whaddaya do?
4) A variety of works by different composers, performed by one artist/ensemble.
5) The rare, but possible album that features different works by different composers, played by different artists/ensembles - usually some sort of "theme" album like "All the Classical Music Your Family Will Ever Need" kind of thing. What in the hell do you do with that? (Besides not buy it in the first place.)

Answers to any of these can be worked out individually, some more easily than others, but so far I've yet to find a single, comprehensive strategy that can apply to them all.

And then there's the additional confusion that comes from multi-disc complete works collections, at least when they're not in a box. For example, I have all of the Hogwood Beethoven Symphonies on individual discs. Do I keep them together, or do I insert the other isolated Beethoven Symphony recordings I have into the mix? IOW, do I interrupt the Hogwood discs to put in my Fritz Reiner/Chicago Beethoven 5th, which is not part of a set? Does it go after the Hogwood 5th (alphabetical by conductor) but before the Hogwood 6th (numeric)? And do complete sets come before or after the individual recordings? And for that matter, which member of the ensemble is the more important one for filing - the conductor or the orchestra? Tradition dictates the conductor, but is that always the sound approach (no pun intended)?

My head is spinning....

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
I'm dizzy after reading all that Craig. I keep all the different versions of my symphonies together, then I put the box sets at the end of the line Before the next composer in alphabetical order.

Oh and forgot to mention it's nice to have another Beethoven addict in here, I had a feeling he would be first in your library too.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
V1nnipoof

Staff online

Members online