AboutAGirl

oh, be nice
Reaction score
I think a lot of people do it, lmao.

Not sure why they used a Gaga song for the bg. o__O

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
I'll vote yes, the others can invent their own sign if they want.

To go further, Ronnie explained his Grandmother's gesture was the "evil eye". Can't remember if it's to ward off evil or to put a "hex" on someone but it's beyond doubt he's the one who made it famous and metalheads the world over have adopted it as their symbolic gesture, along with headbanging which I will pass on.:heheh:

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Headbanging is probably worse for metal fans in the long run. As fun as it is to do I don't do it because I would rather not develop neck problems later on. lol

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I think it was MJ's thing. I dont recall Prince doing the crotch grab :think:

I know a lot of rappers do the "thug" sign.....right hand gang left hand penis!

:oyea:

Slip'nn2Darkness

Sub Sonic Soul Shaker
Reaction score
Although this hand gesture "the horns" has come to represent a sentiment of respect and support for metal/rock music, it has other meanings. Believe it or not, Dio didn't invent it...........he began using it as a superstitious means to ward off evil :D

In sign language, it means "I Love You". I think anyone in music has the right to say "I Love You" to their fans with this hand gesture.

I voted no.........and I dont think other genres of music that use the gesture are posers.

Your right Magic.. I looked it up.. But want to high light this paragraph.

Ronnie James Dio was known for popularizing the sign of the horns in heavy metal. His Italian grandmother used it to ward off the evil eye (which is known in the Italian culture as malocchio). Dio began using the sign soon after joining (1979) the metal band Black Sabbath. The previous singer in the band, Ozzy Osbourne, was rather well known at using the "peace" sign at concerts, raising the index and middle finger in the form of a V. Dio, in an attempt to connect with the fans, wanted to similarly use a hand gesture. However, not wanting to copy Osbourne, he chose to use the sign his grandmother always made.The horns became famous in metal concerts very soon after Black Sabbath's first tour with Dio. The sign would later be appropriated by heavy metal fans under the name "maloik", a corruption of the original malocchio.

Sign of the horns - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

But in a sense.. You and I are both right.. As for the hand signal in sign language

love.jpg

Kinda looks like.. I love you in a horny way dosn't it..:heheh:

Kuaizi

Reaction score
I dunno - the metal horns are pretty metal. For country? Really? I think that's pretty dumb. Why don't we all just break out some Raffi and pull out the horns, or how about Bieber... so stupid!
(not saying anyone is stupid, I just think it's misuse is so darn silly!)
Keep it metal! \m/

gcczep

Ever Onward...
Reaction score
Oh man knowing Slip was a funk dude, I came in here thinking it was trumpets and trombones that sort of thing. OK then, Dio is the original and you just can't replicate that in any other genre.

electric funeral

Just listening music
Reaction score
I was aware of the old meaning of 'the horns'. I sort of grew up with that sign so if anybody else than a rocker does that it kinda looks silly to me. On the other hand everyone is free to use it as he/she pleases.

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OEITrinida

Members online