Who is the greatest musician who died before reaching his full potential?

SanguineRemedy

Speed Demon
Reaction score
Oh, yeah, Cobain!

I always felt that if Cobain were still alive he would have released a solo acoustic album after retiring from Nirvana and would perform casually afterwards, or something. Maybe do a session with another musician or two...

Mr. Bob Dobolina

Reaction score
I've seen these names on other lists, but I would've liked to have heard more from them:

Brian Jones
Pete Ham
Otis Redding
Jim Croce
Terry Kath
Buddy Holly
Danny Whitten
Duane Allman
Johnny Ace
Keith Moon
Tammi Terrell
Jackie Wilson
Bon Scott

Marbles

Reaction score
Hmmm. Haven't seen Phil Lynott mentioned yet. Sure, Lizzy had produced some great stuff during the 70s but I'm sure that there was better yet to come. A waste.

E-Z

Reaction score
Hmmm. Haven't seen Phil Lynott mentioned yet. Sure, Lizzy had produced some great stuff during the 70s but I'm sure that there was better yet to come. A waste.
Totally agree regarding Phil Lynott & Thin Lizzy.

I was reading a Malcolm Dove rock critique liner notes on a Thin Lizzy compilation cd recently and they sum up Thin Lizzy to a tee.

"There are good bands and there are great bands and then there are iconic bands and then there are bands that there mere name sends shivers down a rock fan's back and one such band that did this was THIN LIZZY a fabulous rock band in there time (1970-1983)."

E-Z

Last edited:
Reaction score
Charlie Parker, one of the greatest jazz saxophonists and only 35 years old at the time of his death

Schmetterling

Reaction score
Tricky one that but the one who springs to mind immediately for me is Phil Lynott. Such an incredible waste of talent.

Old Dude

I do not suffer fools gladly.
Reaction score
I would have to say Buddy Holly. He was extremely young when he died, but he showed a huge potential for musical growth. Lots of really, really good or even great musicians died young. It's a shame they died before their time. But if the key point is about reaching their potential, then it seems that the question is who displayed the maximum musical growth before dying, with the likelihood they'd achieve even more. Listen to Hendrix's music one his first records with the Jimi Hendrix Experience and what he recorded shortly before his death. It was all great, but it wasn't like he was pushing the boundaries.

There are dozens of musicians who died young I would have liked to have heard more music from. But, there were very few who displayed a potential to keep improving and innovating the way Buddy Holly did. Holly went from dirt simple rock and roll to complex melodies and arrangements, and looked like he would have continued to expand the boundaries of pop music if he had lived. I suspect that if Holly had lived, innovative rock like what the Beatles, or Brian Wilson. or Al Kooper, or the Moody Blues did in the mid to late 60's would have happened several years sooner.

Hydrazoic Acid

Skeptic
Reaction score
John Lennon
Jimi Hendrix
Buddy Holly
Randy Rhoads
Eddie Cochran
Jim Morrison
Brian Jones
Steve Marriott
Eric Carr
Paul Kossoff
Ray Gillen
Bon Scott
John Bonham

Big Ears

Music Lover
Reaction score
1. Jimi Hendrix - It is difficult to imagine what he could have achieved had he lived through the seventies. He would've needed a proper manager, abstinence from drugs and the absence of hangers on. He remains the first and greatest rock guitarist for me.
2. Phil Lynott - I loved his songs, still miss him and just wish he was alive. He was a heroin addict, so would've needed to kick the habit. Lynott also seemed to lack self-belief, so he needed psychotherapy too.
3. Buddy Holly - Died extremely young, so his potential was huge. It is incredible to think that one of the biggest influences on The Beatles died at 22 years old.
4. Ray Gillen - One of the best hard rock singers to just miss the big time, despite the opportunities. To coin a cliche, The River will always send shivers down my spine.
5. Jim Morrison - Died young and at his creative peak, so his potential was also enormous. It is utterly frustrating to think that Riders on the Storm is on his last album.
6. John Lennon - I did not like his solo work, except Losing You, but I would've liked to see him work again with Paul McCartney.
7. Mike Patto and Ollie Halsall - Sadly, they don't make them like that anymore. Modern musicians do not come close.
8. Gene Vincent - Did not reach his potential while he was alive and they say, 'Where there is life there is hope'.
9. Paul Kossoff - Another drug addict who seemed doomed, but was supremely talented. It is difficult to see a way back for him, even with hindsight.
!0. ?

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edmerka

Members online