Who is the greatest musician who died before reaching his full potential?

Romulus

Reaction score
When I read the title of this thread my mind went straight to Jimi Hendrix (in regard to non Classical music), then to Jim Morrison; but the artist which I felt was cut too quickly and did not yet reach her pique was Amie Winehouse purely on the strength she wrote the song 'Back to Black'. This type of song does not appear every decade. I know she was on things most of the time she was performing and some people may have been frustrated and just getting tired of her. But she had the type of voice and style which made other people sit up and take notice. For me she was an original who followed her own influences (semi jazz) but unfortunately like a lot of other famous musicians needed substances just to survive every day. If she had the chance to live on who knows what other songs she may of written? All the artists mentioned in this thread I sadly miss and why is the age 27 so dangerous among the younger musicians?

Speed King

Rockin to the East & West
Reaction score
I didn't mention him in my original post because I wanted to list a few that no one had listed yet, but my number one pick would be Randy Rhodes. If anyone died before reaching their full potential it would be him. Two albums with Ozzy and then gone. He would've done great things had he lived.

Neshabur

Reaction score
Without no doubt, Duane Allman. The his last recordings stand out for feeling and creativity.

According to me also Jimi Hendrix who have would played with the great jazz arranger and conductor Gil Evans and maybe with the great soul singers of the seventies (Curtis Mayfield, Al Green and so on).

doswizard

"If you are going through hell, keep going"
Reaction score
Coming from a Poetic point of View........

I think Jim Morrison died before reaching The End. :(

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dustybroom

Staff online

Members online