Who Best Represented The Spirit of RocknRoll??

TeleCat

Blackmore's Advocate
Reaction score
60's: The Beatles represent the 60's without a doubt. There contribution not only to popular music but Western culture speaks volumes. Also the very notion of classic rock starts with them.

70's: DEEP PURPLE! That's right. The quintisential 70's rock band. They had it all. Guitar wizard Blackmore and his whole bad attitude, keyboard genius, high pitched screaming vocals - the prototype for heavy metal and flashy drummer. The infighting, line-up changes, spinoff groups (Rainbow, Whitesnake etc.). The bands history is a movie that's already written. Smoke On The Water (although tired from overplay) is probably the most recognizable riff in the history of rock music.

Pressed for time, I'll get back to the 80's and 90's.

Last edited:

Rock On!

Music Lover
Reaction score
50s--Elvis
60s--Beatles
70s--Zeppelin
80s--AC/DC
Overall--Elvis

To those in this thread who questioned the selection of Elvis, I'll let these guys respond:

"Describe Elvis Presley? He was the greatest who ever was, is or ever will be."-- Chuck Berry

"I wasn't just a fan, I was his brother. He said I was good and I said he was good; we never argued about that. Elvis was a hard worker, dedicated, and God loved him. Last time I saw him was at Graceland. We sang Old Blind Barnabus together, a gospel song. I love him and hope to see him in heaven. There'll never be another like that soul brother."-- James Brown

"Elvis had an influence on everybody with his musical approach. He broke the ice for all of us."-- Al Green

"Elvis was a giant and influenced everyone in the business."-- Isaac Hayes

"I remember Elvis as a young man hanging around the Sun studios. Even then, I knew this kid had a tremendous talent. He was a dynamic young boy. His phraseology, his way of looking at a song, was as unique as Sinatra's. I was a tremendous fan, and had Elvis lived, there would have been no end to his inventiveness."-- B.B. King

"Elvis, he was unique."-- B.B. King

"That's my idol, Elvis Presley. If you went to my house, you'd see pictures all over of Elvis. He's just the greatest entertainer that ever lived."-- Eddie Murphy

"Elvis was God-given, there's no other explanation. A Messiah comes around every few thousand years, and Elvis was it this time."-- Little Richard

"A lot of people have accused Elvis of stealing the black man's music, when in fact almost every black solo entertainer copied stage mannerisms from Elvis, had always wanted to be like Elvis."-- Jackie Wilson

"I don't admire nobody but Elvis Presley. He was the sweetest, most humble and nicest man you'd ever meet."-- Muhammad Ali

"People don't realize what they had till it's gone. Like President Kennedy - nobody like him. Like The Beatles, there will never be anything like them. Like my man, Elvis Presley - I was the Elvis of boxing.''-- Muhammad Ali

"My South is the land of Kings--Elvis, B.B. and Martin Luther."-- Samuel L. Jackson

Martha Washington

eat it! it's GOOD for you
Reaction score
GREAT quotes, Rock On!
you know what else?
Ali WAS 'the Elvis of Boxing'!

I have Elvis fans in my family and I know he was good to his fans.
my goodness, how they loved that man.
I think rumors of him living are largely because of this:
they STILL love him.

newdawnfades

Reaction score
I think a large part of the reason WHY people dismiss Elvis is that we live in a scientific world today. Everything 'valuable' has to be quantified in some way.

Try as hard as you want, but a big part of Elvis you just can't measure, you can't quantify, it's just there, and it's magnificient and brilliant and truly unique. But because there's no science to what he did it is therefore marginalized and disregarded.

That's part of the problem with today's world.

Martin Q. Blank

The Happening
Reaction score
newdawnfades said:
I think a large part of the reason WHY people dismiss Elvis is that we live in a scientific world today. Everything 'valuable' has to be quantified in some way.

Try as hard as you want, but a big part of Elvis you just can't measure, you can't quantify, it's just there, and it's magnificient and brilliant and truly unique. But because there's no science to what he did it is therefore marginalized and disregarded.

That's part of the problem with today's world.

I could point out the irony in you, of all people, saying that...but I won't.

Actually, I guess I just did. LOL!

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
V1nnipoof

Members online