Who Best Represented The Spirit of RocknRoll??

newdawnfades

Reaction score
Martin Q. Blank said:
You know what the craziest part of this is? I'm not even entirely sure voice has that much to do with embodying rock and roll. I'm not even sure how we got on that. And yet it's become the main focus of our discussion.

There are vocalists and vocal performances in rock and roll that I think are truly genre-defining, but it may not be one of the main criteria I'd use for choosing my top candidate for this topic.

Vocals were Elvis's strength, that's how we got on this subject. I believe he was very innovative as a vocal rock performer and it was key to his appeal. Much like Chuck Berry's early guitar work and Dylan's lyrical work.

I have to say I am a bit confused too because it's your opinion that having 'creative control' and having arranged, written, and produced is key to being considered symbolic of rocknroll. I don't understand why THAT is necessary.

Martin Q. Blank

The Happening
Reaction score
newdawnfades said:
Vocals were Elvis's strength, that's how we got on this subject.

Oh yeah, that's right. That's one of many things I disagree with, when it comes to Elvis.

I have to say I am a bit confused too because it's your opinion that having 'creative control' and having arranged, written, and produced is key to being considered symbolic of rocknroll. I don't understand why THAT is necessary.

Yeah, I do stand by that. I don't think all of those are necessary, but I'd say at least writing is. It's just my personal opinion. I would say to fully embody rock, you at least have to be a writer (and not just "I may have contributed a couple of lyrics here and there to a few songs") and performer. Being a producer or arranger are bonuses. But these are not the only criteria I use.

The reason I brought up arranging and producing is because I was trying to make the point that someone who does all of those things is simply more talented and, in my opinion, more worthy of respect and reverence. It was sort of a sidebar.

newdawnfades

Reaction score
Then if being a writer and performing is crucial to your criteria you obviously would be excluding most acts from the 50's. As well you said earlier you 'mentioned' cultural impact but you are giving a passing shot to a very important element of rocknroll itself. I still don't know where you place cultural impact within the heirarchy of qualities.

What I try to do is judge a talent in the context of the decade from which they came.

Last edited:

Martin Q. Blank

The Happening
Reaction score
newdawnfades said:
Then if being a writer and performing is crucial to your criteria you obviously would be excluding most acts from the 50's.

Well, we've discussed that before, and like I said, I'd most likely go with Little Richard, Chuck Berry or Buddy Holly, if we were talking about just the '50s. Not perfect examples by any means, but a better idea of what I feel embodies rock and roll in the '50s.

As well you said earlier you 'mentioned' cultural impact but you are giving a passing shot to a very important element of rocknroll itself.

Well, see, that's another thing we differ on. I don't necessarily see cultural impact or commercial success as a very important element of rock and roll at all.

I still don't know where you place cultural impact within the heirarchy of qualities.

It's there, but my view is that appealing to the mainstream and acheiving huge success really has little, if anything, to do with what rock and roll at its core is really about.

And just another note about writing and composing...it's something I value across the boards, in regards to almost any topic when it comes to music. Not just the one we're discussing. I want to make that clear. It may seem a little arbitrary to you, but I simply respect, admire and revere an artist who can do it all themselves more than someone who's just a performer. I see an artist who makes their living off of other people's songs as kind of...cheating, in a way. Again, it may have something to do with the fact that I have been on both sides of this, as both a writer and performer--and sometimes both simultaneously.

Part of the reason I've been questioning how much I want to do acting lately is because, quite frankly, I'm tired of having other people's words come out of my mouth. And honestly, I often wonder how any truly creative person with any decent amount of self-respect can let themselves do that. Granted acting is a parallel that doesn't completely work here, but hopefully you get the gist of what I'm saying.

What I try to do is judge a talent in the context of the decade from which they came.

But the whole crux of your argument was that Elvis has had lasting appeal and enormous mainstream success, wasn't it?

newdawnfades

Reaction score
Martin Q. Blank said:
Well, see, that's another thing we differ on. I don't necessarily see cultural impact or commercial success as a very important element of rock and roll at all.

How can you not see cultural impact as a important element of rocknroll? I understand it's all subjective, but I can't wrap my mind around the idea of trying to recognize what represents the spirit of something yet relegating how that something had an impact on our culture. Every discussion I usually have, every program I have watched goes DIRECTLY to effect rock had on culture. Rock isn't JUST about the music. You had an audience, you had generations of fans impacted by the first rock heroes who constituted the secondary and third layers of rock creation. We are still talking about spirit right?

Commercial success? I never mentioned that.

newdawnfades

Reaction score
Martin Q. Blank said:
See, I find this difficult because my inclination is to go for what is the generally accepted definition of rock 'n roll...guitars, devil may care attitude, healthy disrespect for authority...uh, tight trousers?

Bu the problem is this: that kind of music is not among my favorite...usually.

Which would then lead me to question why I even bother posting at forums designated for classic rock in the first place. :confused:

This may be the problem in a nutshell. When you are trying to define the spirit of rocknroll YOU HAVE to go with the general qualities that define it. You can't expect to capture the essence of something by receding to a portion of it that you happen to like. Essentially you aren't really talking about rock anymore.

The spirit of rock is an artist that best tells it's story, that best explains it. The entire singer-songwriting aspect is a necessary aspect of rock, it's necessary in just about ANY genre. So that doesn't really tell us what made rock R-O-C-K. It's not a special identifier. What made Rock were the performances, the shows, the attitude as you said, the rebellion, the culture most especially made Rock different from Blues, Classical, and Jazz.

That's the element you're missing IMO.

Spike

Rock & Soul Archaelogist
Reaction score
Martin Q. Blank said:
Okay NDF, I think I'm almost ready to answer your questions. Well, I'll try...

To me, Elvis has always been more of a "figurehead" for rock and roll than someone who actually "embodies the spirit." A lot of this may simply come down to the different criteria you and I are using, and that's fine. I'm not changing my mind, though, and I suspect you won't either.

I fully understand and recognize Elvis' phenomenal impact as well as the scope of his influence and his continued mainstream appeal throughout the decades. I'd be a fool to deny that. However, that's only one ingredient of what can "embody the spirit of rock and roll." When I read the thread topic, mainstream appeal and influence was not what first leapt to my mind at all. I guess I have somewhat specific criteria for what embodies the spirit of rock. This includes rebelliousness, iconoclasm, energy, overall sound, personal creativity and personal involvement, innovation, attitude, image (to some extent) and yes, even lifestyle.

I don't care if Little Richard's popularity has dwindled throughout the decades. That has nothing to do with why I might choose him for embodying rock and roll in the '50s (or overall). When I see him banging the piano and screaming his songs (many of which he crafted himself), that's rock and roll to me. Elvis grabbing a mic, swivelling his hips and crooning blues songs in a somewhat pedestrian baritone may cut it for some folks...and that's fine. Just doesn't work for me.

What does the level of involvement in one's success have to do with the thread topic? It's simple for me, really. I'll always respect and admire someone who has creative control over his or her own artistic creation than someone who just "performs" or knows how to surround themselves with the right people. It's the difference between, say, a David Bowie and a Ricky Martin. Both have acheived massive levels of success, but which one put more blood, sweat and tears (and neuroses) into their work? I'm sorry...I don't think Ricky (or Elvis, or any other "entertainer") puts as much blood, sweat and tears into their product as someone who's writing, arranging, producing, playing etc. on their recordings. It seems like common sense to me.

Admittedly, I may have a bias towards writers/instrumentalists/producers, etc. because I am one myself and I know the level of work involved. But so much of rock and roll to me is the DIY ethic. The more you can do yourself, the more rock you are.

On its basest level, this is the point I'm making: who's more talented and creative? The person who writes their own songs, or the person who approaches someone else and says "write some songs for me"? It seems obvious to me.

I think the distinction I'm making is that, to me, there's a huge difference between a performer/singer/entertainer and a tried and true artist. Take Frank Sinatra. I love much of his work and think he was a really unique performer and interesting vocalist...but I would never put him on par with someone who actually composed, produced and/or performed instrumentally on their own material.

I need to add that I think the phenomenon of Elvis actually had negative repercussions in the long run. Now granted you could say that about any act that had massive mainstream success (lord knows The Beatles have influenced huge amounts of pure dreck), but if you look at it objectively, it seems to me that Elvis started the whole "teen idol" mindset in rock and roll. That is, a vocalist/entertainer who looked good, was charming/appealing in some way and had little to do creatively with what they were performing. On a similar note, Elvis also set the ball rolling for solo artist/vocalist/diva types (would we have "American Idol" without him?), and, in my eyes, elevated the notion that image was more important than substance. (He sure wore that guitar a lot...barely played it, though.) Now granted Elvis was superior to every other similar "solo artist teen idol" type that came after him in the rock world, but that doesn't diminish the fact that he was what got that archetype moving.

On that note, I find it intensely irritating that Elvis was credited as a co-writer on some of his early songs when in fact he had nothing to do with them. It was just a ploy invented by his manager Col. Parker, so that he could get royalties. If that didn't set a negative precedent in rock and roll right off the bat, I don't know what did.

Above all else, Elvis' main asset was charisma. People liked him, trusted him, wanted to be entertained by him. That can be seen as part of what embodies rock and roll, and it is, but again, it's only one small part. I think he was energetic (in his heyday) and was a decent singer (albeit with an extremely limited vocal range, technically), but he is far overrated in the actual talent department. I am far from a Beatles sycophant (I gave that up years ago), but I think someone like Paul McCartney has more talent in one hand than Elvis had in his whole body. It's ironic that Paul loves and idolizes Elvis so much.

And yes, I do think there's a race angle at play here. It's been said that Elvis put an acceptable white face on black rhythm and blues to make it more palatable to the masses. That's a double-edged sword, I suppose, because on one hand, it opened the floodgates for a lot of other performers, be they black or white. But on another hand, it ensured that other performers who preceded him and (arguably) deserved more credit for getting the genre off the ground would never get their just desserts. Chuck Berry, Little Richard and Fats Domino are viewed as mere relics from the '50s, even though they were a lot more "rock and roll" in some respects than Elvis could ever hope to be. Also, in some ways, I think Elvis' white-washing of a song like "Hound Dog" is on par with, say, Pat Boone's embarrassingly castrated cover of "Tutti Frutti." So why does one get exhalted while the other gets crucified?

And I should add that my estimation of Elvis has nothing to do with his later steep personal decline, because I think, all things considered, I actually prefer his later "Vegas years" over his early days. At least song-wise.

And don't even get me started on how quantity of material has absolutely nothing to do with quality...

As for my own personal answer to the thread topic? I'm still not sure.

Whew, that took a lot out of me. It may be a few days before I can respond again.

Great post, Marty! And I agree with most of what you say.

But I have a different take on Elvis's story...

...Imagine it's 1946 in Chicago. On September 9, a 41 year old bluesman from Mississippi named Arthur "Big Boy" Crudup entered an RCA studio. Crudup had a strong voice and was a good songwriter, having enjoyed three Top Five hits on the R&B charts in the previous year. On this particular day, Crudup cuts a gem entitled "That's All Right." Just ten days later, on September 19, a 35 year old country singer from Kentucky named Bill Monroe entered Columbia's studio in Chicago. Monroe had just assembled a new band and was on the verge of creating a new subgenre that would become known as bluegrass. On this particular day, Monroe cuts a gem entitled "Blue Moon of Kentucky." Crudup and Monroe might have even bumped into each other on the streets of Chicago in September 1946. But these two musicians were from entirely different worlds. If they had met, would this blues musician from Mississippi and the country musician from Kentucky have anything at all in common?

Fast forward to July 1954 in Sun Studios in Memphis. The success that Sam Phillips, the owner of Sun, has enjoyed to date has been from recording black blues and R&B musicians. But today he is directing a recording session with a young white singer named Elvis Presley. Nothing seems to click. During a break, Presley starts fooling around by belting out an obscure blues tune called "That's All Right." Intrigued, Phillips records the song and realizes that he's got something unique. After running through the song several times, Phillips calls the session to a halt and takes the master to a DJ friend. The friend loves the track and plays it on his local radio show. The phone won't stop ringing. The song is wildly popular, with most listeners thinking that he's black. But to release the song, Phillips has to cut a flip side. Again, they struggle to find something that works until Presley starts singing a popular country song called "Blue Moon of Kentucky" at an uptempo pace. When released, the record becomes a regional hit.

This one single captured the genius of Elvis Presley. While Phillips was a brilliant producer, it was Presley who could take an old blues song and an old country song and synthesized them into something new and totally different. While I am no great fan of Elvis after his contract was sold to RCA, his Sun sides stand as a landmark of fresh, rebellious and incredibly innovative music that transformed the cultural landscape of America.

Spike

Martha Washington

eat it! it's GOOD for you
Reaction score
I've grown to like the RCA stuff over the years. The first blast of it, anyway.
I think it's self concious but in the same way Chuck Berry and Little Richard are.
I don't think Elvis really begins to poop out until the movies are becoming bad and frequent.

unlike MQB, I think Elvis' decline is every bit as interesting as his ascent.
guess it depends on what you think of as 'the spirit of rock and roll'
For me, Little Richard is a much more vital figure. You see old film of that guy and he's just a creature from another planet.

still, I don't think being an icon is anything to sneeze at.
our icons don't pick themselves, we pick them.

Martha Washington

eat it! it's GOOD for you
Reaction score
when Elvis died, my too cool new waver friend french inhaled her cigarette and said "Elvis meant nothing to me" this was a little tough for me. I knew EXACTLY what she meant but I grew up around Elvis fans and except for the PSYCHOS, most of them were really nice people.

Elvis cast a shadow. Even people reacting against it are responding to it in a way.

No Elvis, No Elvis Beatle.
I'm pretty fond of both.

Martin Q. Blank

The Happening
Reaction score
Martha Washington said:
For me, Little Richard is a much more vital figure. You see old film of that guy and he's just a creature from another planet.

Thank you. At least someone agrees with me. :)

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SusanStone

Members online