Who are your favorite bassists???

Dairenn

Recording Artist
Reaction score
Though I haven't done much research on actual bassist players, I do love and respect the bassists. They add flare to the music that sometimes goes unknown. So, even though I don't have an actual list (I'm leaving that up to you guys!), who are your top bassists? Mine is definately Duff Mckagan from GNR. I think that he was actually one of the key members of GNR. Not only that, but he is freaking hot. If I could bring the 80's Duff to 2011, maybe I wouldn't be mrs. Nick Simmons. lol:heheh:. So now it's your turn: who are your favorite bassists?

Great question; great topic. Muzz Skillings from Living Colour is amazing; Bootsy Collins, RHCP's Flea (can you tell I like funk in my rock?), I also liked Jeff Pilson due to his big fender tone, Queensryche's Eddie Jackson (again, great round bass tone), the late great John Entwistle from The Who, and of course the usual suspects: Chris Squire and Geddy Lee. Bass players, especially good ones are REALLY underrated. Like Brian Bromberg (smooth jazz), live, will blow you away. He's so talented, it's crazy.

aeroplane

In Urgent Need of Advice
Reaction score
Gene Simmons came up earlier.

I love him as a songwriter, a singer, a businessman, a showman, a performer and an excellent interview/quote machine. But I could take him or leave him as an actual bass player.

lohz

Reaction score
James Jamerson - THE Motown Sound
Tiran Porter - Doobie Brothers
Wyzzard - Mother's Finest
Paul Goddard - Atlanta Rhythm Section
Peter Cetera - Chicago
Kenny Gradney - Little Feat
Hutch Hutchinson - Bonnie Raitt and session man
Leon Wilkeson - Lynyrd Skynyrd
Dee Murray - Elton John
John Paul Jones - Led Zeppelin

Sunny

Settled down at last and very happy.
Reaction score
I've always liked the bass playing of Michael Balzary (Flea) of the Red Hot Chili Peppers. Somebody just told me today that Flea was born in Melbourne, Australia and moved to New York with his family when he was 5 years old.

Vehicle

Aging Metalhead
Reaction score
Because of all the KISSneyWorld stuff going on around the band, I think Gene's bass work tends to get lost in the shuffle.

Rather than the thump thump thump sound you'd expect because of the image, I think he has melodic, rambling style.

Another guy who is very, very good, but people don't realize it because he's primarily a singer, is Lenny Kravitz. He plays most of, and sometimes all of, the instruments on his albums.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rascal_212

Staff online

Members online