Whitesnake (Official Thread)

aeroplane

In Urgent Need of Advice
Reaction score
Re: Whitesnake

No need to apologize at all - I don't get offended at all on internet forums. I absolutely know what you are talking about when it comes to KISS.

So what is the story Kalodner told?

I generally don't have interest in the reasons behind those sort of personnel changes, so I never bothered to investigate what happened with Whitesnake's old members.

For me, all I care about is the music and if it sounds good, then I'm not too concerned about guys quitting, getting fired or the behind-the-scenes stuff.

To each his own, though. There are a lot of people on this forum who love reading biographies, secrets, insider dirt and everything. I'm just not one of them :)

River Dog

Banned
Reaction score

So what is the story Kalodner told?

I generally don't have interest in the reasons behind those sort of personnel changes, so I never bothered to investigate what happened with Whitesnake's old members.

For me, all I care about is the music and if it sounds good, then I'm not too concerned about guys quitting, getting fired or the behind-the-scenes stuff.

To each his own, though. There are a lot of people on this forum who love reading biographies, secrets, insider dirt and everything. I'm just not one of them :)

This is the story my dear from John Kalodner.

During the recording of 1987, Coverdale was having extensive vocal problems to the point that he wasn't sure that he would ever be able to sing again. Now as this was happening, John Sykes and Mike Stone (the producer of the album) were getting very frustrated with Coverdale for some reason and they were trying to find their own solution.

Sykes had actully suggested to John Kalodner that they replace Coverdale, because the material was so good and he didn't want it to go to waste. They would pay Coverdale for the songs he wrote with Sykes, but ultimately Coverdale would be replaced.

When Coverdale heard this, he fired John Sykes and Mike Stone. Keith Olsen was then brought on to finish the rest of the album when Coverdale's voice did eventually come back full force.

Last edited:

aeroplane

In Urgent Need of Advice
Reaction score

During the recording of 1987, Coverdale was having extensive vocal problems to the point that he wasn't sure that he would ever be able to sing again. Now as this was happening, John Sykes and Mike Stone (the producer of the album) were getting very frustrated with Coverdale for some reason and they were trying to find their own solution.

Sykes had actully suggested to John Kalodner that they replace Coverdale, because the material was so good and he didn't want it to go to waste. They would pay Coverdale for the songs he wrote with Sykes, but ultimately Coverdale would be replaced.

When Coverdale heard this, he fired John Sykes and Mike Stone. Keith Olsen was then brought on to finish the rest of the album when Coverdale's voice did eventually come back full force.

I'd have fired Sykes, too. What a crock that he wanted to replace Coverdale behind his back.

Those vocal problems sound a lot like the ones Meatloaf was going through after the touring for the Bat Out Of Hell album wound down. At the time, it was thought that he might never sing again either.

What's with the "my dear" thing, though? We're both dudes, right? :D

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score

Can you please quote your source for this information, it would be nice to verify it :)

River Dog

Banned
Reaction score

I'd have fired Sykes, too. What a crock that he wanted to replace Coverdale behind his back.

Those vocal problems sound a lot like the ones Meatloaf was going through after the touring for the Bat Out Of Hell album wound down. At the time, it was thought that he might never sing again either.

What's with the "my dear" thing, though? We're both dudes, right? :D

I thought you were a beatiful woman struggling to make it in a man's world on rock radio.

I apologize.

aeroplane

In Urgent Need of Advice
Reaction score

I thought you were a beatiful woman struggling to make it in a man's world on rock radio.

I apologize.

Ha ha, nope.

Well, I assumed you were 27 years old when you're really not and you assumed I was a chick when I'm really not.

That makes us about even, right?

:D

Sox

Avoiding The Swan Song
Reaction score

Hard to believe Mel and Cozy are no longer around .. Two great musicians IMO.

b.o.b.

Reaction score

"Love Will Set You Free" is the first single from WHITESNAKE's new album, "Forevermore", which will be released on March 29 in North America (March 25 in Europe ) via Frontiers Records.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shannan518

Members online

No members online now.