What is behind the disdain some Rock critics feel towards the Doobie Brothers?

WeThotUWasAToad

Reaction score
Hello,

Can someone kindly explain what the so-called Rock-n-Roll experts (who decide which artists are to be inducted into the Hall of Fame) have against the Doobie Brothers?

I graduated high school in 1976 which I believe is right at or very close to the acme of Classic Rock. It was a time when everyone listened to a lot of AM radio (and 8-track tapes) in the car, FM radio was very new (but a welcome relief from all the bop on AM), and friends would frequently get together to listen to vinyl albums and go to concerts.

During those years, there was nobody we all liked more than the Doobie Brothers. Their songs were/are awesome (as were their concerts) and every time I hear one, it takes me right back to my long hair and driving around in my buddy's epic Ford Mustang looking for unsuspecting passerbys to squirt with a fire extinguisher (which had somehow come into our possession). hehe (Note that I am primarily referring to the original Tom Johnston era but their success continued even when Johnston became so sick and Michael McDonald joined the band.)

I am not musically inept and am a fan of dozens of great Classic Rock bands from the 60s through the 80s. However, I shake my head when I see some of the artists who have been inducted into the Hall of Fame, knowing that several much-more-deserving artists (such as the Doobies) have not.

More specifically, in reading some articles and talking to a few people over the years, I've sensed that there is some type of prejudice (or even snobbish contempt) regarding the Doobie Brothers but I haven't found someone who can elaborate as to specifically why.

Thanks

Old Dude

I do not suffer fools gladly.
Reaction score
Hello,

Can someone kindly explain what the so-called Rock-n-Roll experts (who decide which artists are to be inducted into the Hall of Fame) have against the Doobie Brothers?

I will try, so long as you accept the fact that I am explaining why people other than me have different opinions than I have myself. I like the Doobie Brothers, but I am trying to explain why other people do not, since that is what you asked.

Some critics regard the Doobie Brothers' music as derivative and simplistic. They regard the Doobies as being more of a pop music band than a real rock band. These critics regard the Doobies as making "heavy bubble-gum" music, sort of like the various bands from Buddah Records in the late 1960's, such as the bands produced by Jerry Kasenetz and Jeff Katz. Dp I agree with those critics? Hell no! But I can see where they're coming from.

And remember, they aren't really "so-called" Rock-n-Roll" experts, they are "self-proclaimed" Rock-n-Roll experts. That's an important distinction.

Slick Willie

Decisively Indecisive
Reaction score
Critics seem to have a history of ragging on popular bands,
And with the success of Vices (which plays like a best of) they were easy prey.
Big fan here through Stampede, after that I'd rather spin Steely Dan.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Murphy_orrest

Members online

No members online now.