Were The Monkees really a band?

Status
Not open for further replies.

magnoliasteve

Reaction score
You want fake?

archies1.jpg

Can you say "Jingle Jangle" or "Sugar Sugar"?

Reverend Rock

cool music and hot coffee
Reaction score
Yeah, my brother would agree with you about '66 especially. '65 through '69 were all incredible years for pop radio. I'm real sentimental about '67, though.

Reverend Rock

Reaction score
I've decided to boost this thread just because I'm on something of a Monkees binge lately. I bought a DVD of 4 episodes from the TV series (each one the personal favorite of one of the members) and really enjoyed it. Later tonight (after church), I'm thinking about digging out my video tape of Head.

I'd really like to know how many of you folks have ever seen Head (the Monkees' movie) and what you think of it. As I said a few posts back, I consider it a masterpiece. I'm far from alone in that opinion, by the way...

Zombeels

Reaction score
I have a copy of Head And I really enjoy it. At first I was taken back of it because I was probably expecting something different. I really like the part where Frank Zappa tells Davy Jones that people would take him and the band more serious if he didn't dance through all his songs so much.

Reverend Rock

Reaction score
There are so many great one-liners in Head. Among my favorites are:

"Well, son, nobody lends money to a man with a sense of humor."

"Let's you and me go somewhere where we won't bump into each other anymmore."

"So you don't see the connection between government and laughing at people?"

"The tragedy of your times, my young friends, is you may get exactly what you want."

One of the really fascinating things about Head for Monkees fans like myself is how the individual members of the Monkees venture out of their usual roles. Micky Dolenz and Mike Nesmith remain their TV characters, but Micky's craziness and Mike's cynicism are taken to new extremes. Davy is transformed from teenybopper heartbreaker to (at times) a bratty punk with a violent streak, and Peter is transformed from a dummy to a zen mystical peacenik.

The biting sattire of everything about the late 60s is another thing that makes this movie stand out from the pack. In addition, it may well be the most psychedelic film ever made.

In short, it's everything Magical Mystery Tour should have been and a good bit more.

Last edited:

Music Wench

Rock and Roll Grandma
Reaction score
Sounds like something I might actually enjoy, Rev. Having been in grade school at the time the Monkees made their television debut, I have fond memories of them and I remember really adoring Micky Dolenz. LOL Any idea if Head is available out there in VHS or DVD land?

Reverend Rock

Reaction score
Yes, Head is available on VHS and DVD. Rhino has re-issued it, along with both seasons of the TV show. You can get it at amazon.com among other places.

Martha Washington

eat it! it's GOOD for you
Reaction score
"you've got to listen to me guys or you'll end up back in the box"

I've been looking at "Head" tonight. that really is a one of a kind movie. I wonder if the box used in the movie is the same box that the studio built them to party in when they weren't needed on the set of the t.v. series.

in one sense, the movie seems to be about the Monkees being trapped -trapped by the t.v. show, trapped by the big black box.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HoustonBoy

Staff online

Members online