Were The Monkees really a band?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pooldude

Older than Dirt
Reaction score
magnoliasteve said:
People forget that the very early Beatles were not exactly master musicians, either. I saw the Monkees in the 80's sans Nesmith and Dolenz was a competent drummer. BUt everyone here was right. The Monkees was the brainchild of a TV producer and the band a product of the show. Still, it was a hit making machine for a while.

You don't fool me, Magnolia. :wtf:

When I was 17 & just getting into the Bluesbreakers & Fresh Cream...you were 12 (like my kid sister) & singing Last Train to Clarksville! :tongue:

In partial answer to your question, I know Steve Stills tried out for the Monkees before the Springfield took off.

He was a money whore. :ha:

magnoliasteve

Reaction score
Trivia two:

In season two, the Monkees had a guest star for one episode that was obviously "Only in it for the Money"

magnoliasteve

Reaction score
Nice try pooldude, but when I was 12 I was already past Herman's Hermits, the Dave Clark Five and onto Jefferson Airplane, the Doors and St Peppers.

magnoliasteve

Reaction score
Stephen Stills did try out and would have likely been chosen had he agreed to give up his publishing rights to Screen Gems.

pooldude

Older than Dirt
Reaction score
magnoliasteve said:
Nice try pooldude, but when I was 12 I was already past Herman's Hermits, the Dave Clark Five and onto Jefferson Airplane, the Doors and St Peppers.

Here we come
Walkin' down the street
We get the funniest looks from
Everyone we meet

:tongue:

OK...if you say so...I'll let you off the hook...this time. :cheers:

magnoliasteve

Reaction score
Final trivia question. This Monkee was originally cast to play the role of The Riddler. When when Tim Burton was booted as director, so was the Monkee.

Zombeels

Reaction score
magnoliasteve said:
Trivia two:

In season two, the Monkees had a guest star for one episode that was obviously "Only in it for the Money"
Zappa as in Frank

Zombeels

Reaction score
magnoliasteve said:
Final trivia question. This Monkee was originally cast to play the role of The Riddler. When when Tim Burton was booted as director, so was the Monkee.
Dolenz (circus boy)

Reverend Rock

cool music and hot coffee
Reaction score
pooldude said:
When I was 17 & just getting into the Bluesbreakers & Fresh Cream...you were 12 (like my kid sister) & singing Last Train to Clarksville!...

Well, I was 10 when "Daydream Believer" was #1, and I was listening to the Monkees along with the Beatles and the Jimi Hendrix Experience, Nilsson's Pandomonium Shadow Show and a vast array of different styles of music--all of which were regularly playing on top 40 radio, which was never better than in 1967.

pooldude

Older than Dirt
Reaction score
Now that all the official Monkees Fan Club members have come out of the closet... :heheh:

...maybe we should expand the discussion as to whether Herman & his Hermits were the real Fore-Fathers of Heavy Metal, or just the Grand-Daddies of Classic Rock? :eek:hyeah:

hermanshermits19172.jpg

hermanshermits373250.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tayson ray

Members online