Was Alice Cooper the godfather of glam?

Drifter

Reaction score
I don't think you can point to one particular person or group and say they 'started' glam. It was like a collective mindset against the drab denim and tie-die look of the hippies and was bound to happen regardless. Andy Warhol and his Factory crowd had a lot to do with glamming up the 60's and many people were taking pointers from them on both sides of the Atlantic. Either way, Alice Cooper still isn't given his proper due. The fact that he still isn't in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame shows what a farce that institution is.

Hepcat

retired
Reaction score
Somehow tie-dye clothing just doesn't fit my definition of "drab":

Attachments

• tie-dye.jpg
    tie-dye.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 27

Mr. Shadow

"Classic" Member
Reaction score
The Georgia Peach... Little Richard may have started things off....

Cosmic Harmony

Reaction score
The Georgia Peach... Little Richard may have started things off....

Not to turn this into a "Who do you think started glam?" thread or anything but if we're going to go with a flamboyant pianist then I think there is someone that takes seniority over Little Richard...

LiberaceFlyingIn-1.jpg

MusicMistress

Reaction score
I do think Alice Cooper would place the lot of ye' on a firing squad if he knew you called him the godfather of Glam.

Alice Cooper is the Master of Shock.

You can crown Marc Bolen and David Bowie as the Glam Parents.

aeroplane

In Urgent Need of Advice
Reaction score
I can safely tell you after reading numerous Alice Cooper interviews over the years that he certainly thinks he is.

MusicMistress

Reaction score
Alice Cooper doesn't take himself seriously. If he considered himself glam, he would have developed that image more.

I fully believe Alice Cooper likes his association with shock more than he does any association to glam. I would say AC is the pioneer for shock not glam.

Even his name "Alice Cooper" comes from something shocking....it was a witches name from the 17th century which supposedly came to Damon in a game of ouija.

aeroplane

In Urgent Need of Advice
Reaction score
Alice Cooper doesn't take himself seriously. If he considered himself glam, he would have developed that image more.

I fully believe Alice Cooper likes his association with shock more than he does any association to glam. I would say AC is the pioneer for shock not glam.

Even his name "Alice Cooper" comes from something shocking....it was a witches name from the 17th century which supposedly came to Damon in a game of ouija.

With that said, one could say the most "glam" thing Alice did were the Trash and Hey Stoopid albums.

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
With that said, one could say the most "glam" thing Alice did were the Trash and Hey Stoopid albums.

"Trash" was definitly Glam metal, more so than glam rock. Alice Cooper had fell into a slump music wise before he released this album. Nothing had sold all that well since "Alice Cooper Goes to Hell" in 1976. Of course the influence that Desmond Child brought to the table almost guaranteed the sound to be catchy and commercialized enough to fit the Glam category. Afterall, the music had to fit the MTV forumula to get massive exposure and bring Alice Cooper back into the spotlight.

Cooper titled the album correctly, too. To Cooper this stuff was trash, but it also brought him back as a musician.

Hell is Living Without You co-written by Bon Jovi

^^^pretty awesom Glam Metal, but true Coop fans barely acknowledge this music exists. But Cooper did gain a whole new fan base.

Sweaty

ThE OtHeR rAmOnE
Reaction score
I agree he did glam it up on that album, was not his best album, however I own all his albums and he still rocks. Glad that he did get back into peoples heads. It is a shame that these artists are almost forgotten till it is too late:)

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edmerka

Members online