Was Alice Cooper the godfather of glam?

METALPRIEST

Reaction score
^^^ Yeah I gotta give this one to Bowie too...let's not forget about Alvin Stardust though. :flirt :heheh:

wa497767-fbalvin-stardust-posters.jpg

rtbuck

Reaction score
I've kind of avoided this thread because the truth is...I don't know.

Surprisingly,I've never been heavy into Bolan where I've had any interest to study his history so I don't want to say Cooper was the first. (I enjoy a lot of Bolan's work but I was never obsessed with it)

As far as Coop though I know that besides being influenced by the Stones, Beatles,& Yardbirds the Alice Cooper band was just as influenced by TV,Movies, Musicals,& theold burlesque/vaudeville type shows & all of this added to their look & style.By 1967 they were wearing the shiny, glittery, & colorful pants along with experimenting with the make-up & long hair. They wanted to shock the world when they changed their name to Alice Cooper in hopes that the flower children of the 60's generation were going to expect a blonde female folk singer. I know the NY Dolls were influenced by early Cooper (I will say though that guitarist Johnny Thunders did like Marc Bolan as well & Keith Richards for all that matters). Alice did have a huge impact at Kiss in fact Gene & Paul have said that after attending a Cooper show is where they got the idea of the make-up (& yes when they did begin before they went with their familiar make-up they did try to go with a NY Dolls kind of look). Obviously the Dolls style wasn't working for Kiss so after seeing Cooper in Concert they though "What if we have 4 Alice Coopers onstage?".

Iggy was part of what influenced Bowie to get into the glam & that is why he became Ziggy.Iggy & Coop were terrorizing the Detroit scene in the late 60's

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Early Bolan with a Boa around his neck....a sure sign of early glam..

trexdm2009_468x703.jpg

Odysseus

Kustom Kartilage
Reaction score
I love the original Alice Cooper band but Alice himself was more into the theatrics of presentation than glam itself, especially later on.

I agree with others that Marc Bolan easily lit the fire and Bowie defined it handily. Bowie initially kept a very close eye on what Marc was up to in the early days.

METALPRIEST

Reaction score
Are you trying to determine whether I'm paying attention? That's Alice Cooper's pic you have right on top which means that you're agreeing that Alice Cooper was the first glam rock band. :pirate:

Well the first on her list was David Bowie.

The post where this pc shows up was her saying, "more" so I do believe another cool Alice pic was used.

Foxhound

retired
Reaction score
But if she has Alice Cooper's pic anywhere in her examples of glam rock bands, then she is agreeing that Alice Cooper was a glam rock band. Therefore she has to agree that Alice Cooper was the first glam rock band since Alice Cooper preceded those other fellows!

:grinthumb

Astrid Kirchherr65

Classic 60's Chick
Reaction score
Well the first on her list was David Bowie.

The post where this pc shows up was her saying, "more" so I do believe another cool Alice pic was used.

that is correct/Alice dabbled in Glam...Bolan and Bowie came way before Alice in the genre:grinthumb

He was very(Alice) into it and pioneered the small part of America that listened to Glam but he was NOT the godfather imo

and i was including Alice as PART of this era not confirming Fox's opinion.

Psssst Fox ( I KNOW better/you always pay attention :D )

Last edited:

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
V1nnipoof

Staff online

Members online