Was Alice Cooper the godfather of glam?

Cosmic Harmony

Reaction score
Alice Cooper from 1968

3052787749_fe1f014fcb.jpg

There is that old expression of "You can put lipstick on a pig....". Now I'm not comparing Alice Cooper to pigs are saying they're ugly but the point of the expression is that you can dress something a certain way but that doesn't change what they are or make them anything else. I mean, if we're just going with clothes then who is to say that George Clinton isn't the godfather of glam for all of the crazy outfits everyone in P-Funk wore?

rtbuck

Reaction score
Parliament didn't come into existence until 1970

I never said Cooper was the first, I posted a picture. In a previous post I even said I never had too much interest in Bolan's history. I have listened to the early Tyrannasaurus Rex albums & didn't hear or feel too much Glam in that(just my opinion). As I also stated, Johnny Thunders of the NY Dolls was into Bolan in the late 60's/early 70's & cited him as an influence so I'm sure something was there.

I do feel that Cooper's tune "Reflected" & "Levity Ball" from their debut were much more glam than the hippie shit Bolan created on his early albums.Maybe I'm wrong about this but that's the way I see & hear it.

...and I'm still not saying Cooper was the first...I just happen to be a Cooper freak & just writing what I know

Foxhound

retired
Reaction score
I agree with Bucky. Tyrannosuarus Rex was a hippie/folk combo in the sixties. The T.Rex incarnation metamorphosed into glam only in 1970.

Meanwhile, Alice Cooper was glam from the start and Alice Cooper's first studio album was released in August 1969.

Attachments

• A Alice C.jpg
    A Alice C.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 43

FretBuzz

Monkey Man
Reaction score
ESQUERITA.jpg

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members