Van Halen (Official Thread)

Lynch

Here for the cookies and the tunes
Reaction score
When it first came out, I wasn't thrilled, but I liked it a hell of a lot more than 5150. It didn't take long though and I was completely sold on the album. 5150 took a long time to get into (for me).

METALPRIEST

Reaction score
Um.....ok. :think: I don't see the point but alright. Does anyone else think Dave looks like Tommy Lee Jones in this?

Yah I'm not sure what to make of this. Tommy Lee Jones?? Yeah...a bit :heheh:

When it first came out, I wasn't thrilled, but I liked it a hell of a lot more than 5150. It didn't take long though and I was completely sold on the album. 5150 took a long time to get into (for me).

I dunno I like 5150 a LITTLE bit more...but I do like it better than the albums that came after it. So I rank this and 5150 as a two package deal somewhat. I may be more of a DLR fan but I own them all and the first two Sammy's should find shelf space among many rock collectors

Nora

Reaction score
I opened a Facebook page dedicated to share a collection of high quality photos of Rock artists and more... :cheers2
https://www.facebook.com/skeletonsfromthecloset

736249_312528828857940_1676544712_o.jpg

I hope you like it!

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
^^That's a great picture Nora...:cheers:

That must be from the very early days of the band, 1978 maybe.:think:

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
OU812 is the worst VH album I have listened to from my perspective.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
I have tried many times to be objective and listen to the Hagar era albums with an open mind, because I do think Sammy is talented and has a good set of pipes.

But I have to be blunt, when it comes to my VH fix, I never consider the Van Hagar era and ALWAYS reach for the early stuff.

As I hurtle towards 60 time is precious more than ever before, so I spend it more carefully now than when I was young.:gg:

:D

Cosmic Harmony

Reaction score
You're a lot closer to 50 than 60, LG. Just saying. :D

I am with you on never reaching for any of the Hagar releases. I have some fond memories of "Why Can't This Be Love?" and "Dreams" but that's only for their nostalgia. When I'm out buying records for work and I come across Van Hagar albums I usually pass on them, even if they're in good shape and a dollar. I just can't sell them at all.

Vehicle

Aging Metalhead
Reaction score
I like stuff from both Sammy & Dave eras. Two different animals altogether.

As far as 1984, it's the 'definitive' crossover to MTV album. There are some real rockers on that album, but there's some real fluff, too.

You have to give credit where it's due. There aren't many bands out there that could go from straight, drums, guitars, bass hard rock
to synths splashed all over the place and keep their core fan base.

Let's face it... Jump & Co. was specifically designed for MTV pop success. It got them an entirely new generation of fans.

They rolled with the changes, same as Aero, Chicago, Heart, and even The Stones, although to a bit lesser degree.

Just good business sense, even if it meant their old school fans having their noses out of joint because of the new approach.

I don't think (and this is just me thinking) these bands 'evolved' because of MTV.

Evolving is exploration and experimentation and discovery, with the outgrowth of those things being something new.

All these bands from pre-MTV did was reformat themselves to fit. If anything, they got smaller, musically, in order to be
less secularized, (I think I just invented that word) and appealed to a larger demographic.

Ar-Pharazon

Reaction score
This video for Loss Of Control has been posted on youtube recently. Apparently, it wasn't shown in the U.S., I know I never saw it before today.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bringzip

Members online