Van Halen (Official Thread)

METALPRIEST

Reaction score
I'm gonna have to pull out III again. I don't think it was all that bad either...though I don't know. It's still last on my list. I liked DKOT better.

:)

METALPRIEST

Reaction score
Michael Anthony Takes the High Road, Praises Wolfgang Van Halen

Michael-Anthony-and-Wolfgang-Van-Halen.jpg

It’s been great having Van Halen back in action with David Lee Roth in recent years, but the dark cloud hanging over their reunion has been the absence of original bassist Michael Anthony, who was exiled in favor of Eddie Van Halen‘s son Wolfgang. Don’t expect to hear any sour grapes from Anthony, though.

Speaking with For Bass Players Only, Anthony continued to maintain the high ground he’s held since learning of his dismissal from the band via press conference. Asked for his feelings regarding being replaced by Wolfgang, Anthony called him “a great kid” and pointed out, “I mean, obviously, I’ve known him since he was born.” But he didn’t stop there; he went on to insist that the younger Van Halen is more than qualified to hold his post in the band.

“He’s a great bass player,” continued Anthony. “He plays drums, guitar, bass and sings. His dad, Ed, wanted his son to play with him, so, you know, that’s, you know, totally great. I mean, I found out that he was going to be playing bass with everybody else … when they did their press conference. I wished him luck in a couple interviews I did, and hopefully he read those.”

Anthony is so committed to saying good things about everyone that not even a recent appearance on Howard Stern’s show — in which he called while his Chickenfoot bandmate Sammy Hagar was visiting the studio — could induce any trash-talking, despite a relatively in-depth discussion of the many ways he was wronged by Van Halen. You can check out the complete audio from the segment here.

Geeez...I'm startin' to think Michael may be his real dad :heheh: (ONLY KIDDING!! )​

Lynch

Here for the cookies and the tunes
Reaction score
I'm gonna have to pull out III again. I don't think it was all that bad either...though I don't know. It's still last on my list. I liked DKOT better.

:)

I listened to III a couple of months back.. it's pretty bad. Bad songwriting and rarely have I heard a singer that truly sounded like he didn't belong in a band. Cherone is a good singer, sounded great in Extreme, but his voice and singing style didn't fit at all.

METALPRIEST

Reaction score
Still haven't pulled it out again.....it is one of those albums like St. Anger where you have to give it a yearly spin to remind yourself what the songs sound like. The only one that sticks in my head at all is Without You

:heheh:

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
The vocals were meh but the music was not as bad as people make it out to be.

METALPRIEST

Reaction score
Sooty CRACKS me up though over 'How Many Say I'

:oyea:

I bust a nut every time he rants on that one.....the 'out of tune chick singer'

:lmao:

METALPRIEST

Reaction score
So I went ahead and gave Van Halen III a spin yesterday once again. First off I still say that the first track New World and Without You is an awesome intro and song and a great opener. I still think it's a great tune and could have been on any Van Halen album.

I do feel that it's their worst album BUT I think it's a bit misunderstood.

There are moments throughout that has that old Zeppelin feel.

There are a couple moments where I could hear a song that could have easily been a part of Fair Warning. Dirty Water Dog comes to mind. That could have been a David Lee Roth/Fair Warning track for sure.

Once is pretty adventurous but seems a bit confused in the verses and a little too long.

Same thing happened AGAIN...usually around track nine I zone out a bit and seem to lose intrest around Primary and Ballot Or The Bullet and seem to forget what I just listened to after they pass.

How Many Say I....well I still think of Sooty describing this as a tune with an out of key girl singer. :heheh:

That song really could have been good.....how?? Well for one thing....it needed to be much shorter and cut off some un wanted fat here and there. They should have let Eddie sing the entire thing and kept Gary off of it. The Gary harmonies in this track just come off as clumsy.

But as I said at the top of this....that opening intro and first song is still wonderful to me.

Anyway, had some fun dusting it off and giving it yet another try/spin

:grinthumb

Ar-Pharazon

Reaction score
Part of a longer documentary, this chapter has Mitch Malloy talking about being offered the lead singer gig after Sammy was ousted.

METALPRIEST

Reaction score
David Lee Roth Offers Timetable for New Van Halen Album

Van-Halen-Mark-Metcalfe.jpg

It was 14 years between Van Halen‘s last two albums (or even longer if you don’t want to count the Gary Cherone debacle), but it seems like we won’t have to wait nearly as long for new music from them again. In a new interview, David Lee Roth says that they could have something ready by the middle of 2015.

“I was up at Edward [Van Halen]‘s house, maybe three days ago – just before I came here to the city – and we’re starting to put music together,” he told Jim Florentine Ozzy’s Boneyard on SiriusXM embedded above). ” Not to give away exactly what the package will be, it’s gonna be about 18 months, I think.”

For Roth, the long timeframe has more to do with planning out all the logisitics involved with mounting an album and tour with the attention to detail that Van Halen are so well known for. “We start way, way, way in advance,” he continued. “‘Cause we are eminently art-centric, which is a really fancy way of saying we really do generate all the artwork, the graphics, etc. We don’t hire out and have somebody design a bunch of album covers for us and then choose…. we start from scratch ourselves. Same thing with the merchandise – if you buy a t-shirt, that was designed, literally, in my living room. On and on… stage design, lighting rig, putting the show together – it takes about a year and a half, 18 months, because any idea that you have is 85 phone calls.”

But Diamond Dave, you’re thinking, what about the songs? “Oh, yeah, we’re writing,” he said. “I write lyrics routinely. It’s a perishable skill. And the band plays together routinely, at least three times a week. They’re up at Ed’s place, routinely.”

Ar-Pharazon

Reaction score
"Lost" EVH track from the movie The Wild Life

From Hardradio.com
The VAN HALEN News Desk has unearthed another rare track from the The Wild Life movie score, which VAN HALEN guitarist EDDIE VAN HALEN wrote for Universal Pictures in 1984. "Here's what we call 'All Fired Up', written and performed by Eddie Van Halen in 1983. This track is part of the musical score from the movie The Wild Life. Eddie wrote the entire musical score for the movie, playing guitar along with his electronic drum machine. The director wanted a piece of music that would play in the background of a crazy, rowdy house party. THIS is what Eddie gave him. In the movie, viewers can hear only sections of the track, obscured by the loud party. Now, for the first time, VH fans can hear the full unedited 6:10 track! Some of what Eddie's playing here became parts of 'A.F.U.(Naturally Wired)' on OU812."

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edmerka

Members online