Van halen, hagar or roth?

T

tyler_hannibal

David lee roth or sammy hagar?Which one was better in VAN HALEN??

willg54

Reaction score
Please?!?!?!? Tyler, David was a powerhouse, not to say that Sammy was a slouch, but the original was the best. "Course, that's only MY opinion. I've seen 'em both in concert, and there's no comparison. Anyway, who's YOUR choice??

TeleCat

Blackmore's Advocate
Reaction score
DLR all the way. Sammy benifitted greatly from VH as far as song writing. His solo stuff is so generic compared to what he did in VH and Montrose for that matter. I like Sammy Hagar very much and Marching to Mars is one of the best rock albums of the 90's IMO. But c'mon, nothing compared to the original Atomic Punk. Fair Warning is my fave VH by far.

angshu

Reaction score
kath said:
kath
( = bad honda civic.)

far better than the crappy bicycle i had. and then sold because i was too broke to afford 'em high end things like cycles.

T

tyler_hannibal

Are you kidding it will always be David lee roth he was awesome. sammy hager was a joke.

TeleCat

Blackmore's Advocate
Reaction score
tyler_hannibal said:
Are you kidding it will always be David lee roth he was awesome. sammy hager was a joke.

I wouldn't say he was a joke. Five quick reasons why.

5150: One of Eddie's best riffs
Cabo Wabo: I've been to Rome, Dallas Texas...great song
Judgement Day: Possibly their heaviest
Michael Anthony started playing better bass with Sammy in the band IMO.
And finally Sammy never conceeded to become a freakin' Vegas act like Dave did. Now that was a joke.

But don't get me wrong, I like DLR VH better. Thier sound changed dramatically with Sammy. Hell, I even like VH 3 with Gary Cherone. As long as Eddie is in the band (which he always will be) I'll be a fan. I was hoping after his hiatus (hip replacement, beating cancer and divorcing his wife) he would put out an insturmental album and silence all the critics who wrote him off.

Last edited:
T

tyler_hannibal

Eddie van halan was awesome, his solos like in panama were remarkable but sammy... sammy was a good song writer dont get me wrong but in performance david lee roth takes the cake.Also david brought an awesome energy and more wild sense to the band. In my opinion sammy was a joke compared to david lee roth.

Joey Self

A Voice Of Reason
Reaction score
I'm not a Hagar fan in any form--solo or with a group, so DLR would win by default if nothing else. However, there was something else at the time. These days, not so much, but the first five VH albums all had great moments on them, and while I didn't care too much for 1984, it was OK. I don't like any of the Van Hagar albums.

JcS

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bringzip

Members online