Uriah Heep (Official Thread)

Craig in Indy

Your cool Uncle
Reaction score
Re: Uriah Heep

Wow...is that you in here Craig? I know your taste has mellowed over the years but it's good to know you used to enjoy the old Heep back in the day.

HA! Yes, back in the day I was known to blast a few on occasion. I seem to recall most of my Heep listening was in the dorm at the University of Miami after taking advantage of Friday afternoon happy hour(s) at the campus Rathskeller. 2 bucks to get in, and you got 2 tickets good for a 16 oz beer each, then they were $1 each after that (this was obviously a long time ago). It started at 3:00 PM and by 3:30 you could hardly push your way through the place to get to the bar. We'd stumble out to go back to the dorm at about 8:00, already feeling like we'd been up all night. :bonk:

It's been so long it's hard to recall all the hard rock LPs that came to and went from my collection, but among the ones I used to own (and even play!) were the two Heep albums I mentioned along with a Grand Funk album or two (I enjoyed the fact that they - and Heep - were bands that liked to flaunt their critical disdain, GFR going so far as to print copies of their bad reviews on their LPs' inner sleeves). Heck, I even had Live at Leeds and Love It to Death!

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

I am going to do GFR soon if nobody else does...:D

Wow those were the halcyon days of your youth for sure. It's too bad you didn't get Canadian beer for that price...:heheh: Would have done the job faster with less volume.:hab:

Live at Leeds!, is considered one of the best live albums according to most sites I've visited, I have a copy but not of Love It To Death!.

I don't think I will ever outgrow my urge to play some plain old hard rock or heavy metal music when I am in my cups...I still do that now.:heheh:

Craig in Indy

Your cool Uncle
Reaction score

Oh, I still rock out occasionally, but these days it's more likely to be with Foo Fighters or latter-day Toad. And Guster, when they get loud. Then there's always the old standbys like In the Court of the Crimson King (though a lot of that is quiet), old Santana, James Gang ("Made loud to be played loud"), the electric side of 4-Way Street (which earned me a formal "turn it down" warning from the dorm RA) and stuff like that.

But metal? Not for me, I'm afraid.

Curiously, one of the things I like to play loud the most is the live blues medley from the original Mushroom LP version of Heart's Magazine. I like to turn it up to the point where you can clearly hear the hum from the guitar amps. I find that's a good "reference" volume. ;)

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

I stumbled across Magazine a few weeks ago,,,but I'm not sure if it's a vinyl rip or the CD version...if they even released it on CD...:think:

I'll have to play it and let you know.

Metal...I still enjoy it Craig, and so many of the European bands are wrongly tagged with that label and they are just hard rock to me.

LOU/REALM

Reaction score

Everyone should have at least one URIAH HEEP album in their collection [ i know i should have more ] " Look at yourself" ...superb album

Sox

Avoiding The Swan Song
Reaction score

I agree with that Lou a sound band and "Look At Yourself" is a great album.

METALPRIEST

Reaction score

...and I agree with Lou too...everyone should at least have ONE...Look At Yourself is a good one but If I had to pick that one it would be Magician's Birthday :grinthumb

Did we do the ballad RAIN from that yet?? :D

METALPRIEST

Reaction score

I still remeber hearing that title track as a kid an being freaked out!! :heheh:

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
V1nnipoof

Members online