Ultravox (Official Thread)

Sweaty

ThE OtHeR rAmOnE
Reaction score
Don't think they can capture the old magic I am afraid. Would love to see them back up there but I don't think they will.

METALPRIEST

Reaction score
Cool to see a thread bump!! :grinthumb

Anyone remember their LIVE AID appearance!! They sounded REAL good!!

mrJim

Reaction score
I allways found Ultravox interesting in that for me they allways seemed to come and go. I loved their early stuff then not so much untill Vienna then not so much. Last few years I have seen Ure and I think he has gotten extremely good. he's got this refined element about him thats really great but when i watch him I still feel this raw sorta roots thing going on.

I feel like I'm allways digging up old threads

LOU/REALM

Reaction score
Sorry about not drumming up much enthusiasm over ULTRAVOXs new album "Brilliant" , but its good to see them back together playing some of their classics.....looking good "Live" :grinthumb
"I remember"

Big Ears

Music Lover
Reaction score
Slik seemed a terrible pop group at the time, but I've since seen footage of them and they could be a rock band. Among this material was a live show in which Midge Ure had long hair and dressed like a member of Thin Lizzy (before he temporarily became a member in 1979). He made me laugh when he said in an interview that he was Thin Lizzy's worst guitarist; although this probably was not the point as Phil Lynott liked to have his friends around. I think Slik'sr first single Boogiest Band in Town is a good record, but close to impossible to track down. Rich Kids were a good band anyway. When Ure joined Ultravox, he said they intended to be a rock band and the Vienna album, despite the Schmaltzy title track, still sounds great to me.

Brilliant is okay, but it doesn't stand out like the Vienna album. Ure's first solo album, The Gift (1985), is reasonable, but his material became very depressing. The gift has a version of Ian Anderson's Living in the Past and, less surprisingly, David Bowie's The Man Who Sold the World.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
I allways found Ultravox interesting in that for me they allways seemed to come and go. I loved their early stuff then not so much untill Vienna then not so much. Last few years I have seen Ure and I think he has gotten extremely good. he's got this refined element about him thats really great but when i watch him I still feel this raw sorta roots thing going on.

I feel like I'm allways digging up old threads

They are only old if you have read them before Mr.Jim so bump whatever you like.:hab:

I agree with you about Ultravox in that sense, I never really paid much attention to them until Vienna came out, then I went back and checked out their early work. Been years since I listened to them though...have to remedy that one of these days.

LOU/REALM

Reaction score
I do like MIDGE UREs version to "Man who sold the world" prefering it more than "Living in the past"...which would upset most Tull purists :D
The most biggest argument regarding ULTRAVOX...was which was better JOHN FOXX or MIDGE URE ? Its like Sabbath...Ozzy or Dio ?
Let me say both were are excellent. There was such a buzz when "Vienna" was released , and it still is even now regarded as a 80s masterpiece.
THE RICH KIDS were a short lived punk/new wave band featuring Midge and exSexPistol Glen Matlock, I have a copy of this album and showed great promise. As for SLIK your right again Martin...I mentioned them in my A-Z of 70s glam rock thread. The song "Boogiest band in town" was quite rock orientated I loved it as a kid [ also done by Arrows by the way ]....Midge having the long hair in them days. Then an image and musical change [ probably Record company idea ] and SLIK emerged looking and sounding like a naff 90s boy band .

Man who sold the world Midge Ure

Big Ears

Music Lover
Reaction score
As much as I liked the Midge Ure version of Ultravox, I could not get into the John Foxx version. Perhaps I listened to the wrong album. I really like Midge's version of LITP, even if it sounds like David Bowie covering Jethro Tull! It was certainly a brave move.

Midge Ure and Fairport Convention live version of Living in the Past:

The funny thing about Midge's appearance is that he seemed to copy the Star Trek sideburns, moustache and shoulder pads from one of the members of Slik, but did not adopt them until he joined Ultravox.

mrJim

Reaction score
They are only old if you have read them before Mr.Jim so bump whatever you like.:hab:

I agree with you about Ultravox in that sense, I never really paid much attention to them until Vienna came out, then I went back and checked out their early work. Been years since I listened to them though...have to remedy that one of these days.
I'd suggest giving Ha!Ha!Ha! another listen if you have it.

If you dont have it and can find the re-release on CD you'll get Young Savage.... that one is really good. the rif works :bow: Young savage was an EP and I dont think its verywell known not sure if it showed up on any other albums

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hannibal37

Members online

No members online now.