Ultimate Spinach (Official Thread)

joe

Reaction score
Re: Ultimate Spinach

All the artists I listed aren't psych/pop. You have to give them a listen. I think I know your taste in music somewhat by now and wouldn't recommend you sunshine pop like the Mamas And Papas or the Turtles.:)

DaKillerWolf

Cosmic Time Warp Warrior
Reaction score

All the artists I listed aren't psych/pop. You have to give them a listen. I think I know your taste in music somewhat by now and wouldn't recommend you sunshine pop like the Mamas And Papas or the Turtles.:)

I figured ...just clarifying because you said you didn't think I liked any of it. I will copy the bands down and give 'em some investigation .

joe

Reaction score

I remember one your past posts saying you didn't like it. I took it as generally, not sub-genre specific as psych/pop. I think most of the stuff I listed you'll like.

DaKillerWolf

Cosmic Time Warp Warrior
Reaction score

I don't recall having said that .Most of what I listen to that isn't metal, blues or prog is psychedelic ..space rock , psych , etc. but if I did I meant that I don't care for psych/pop . I have a gag reflects toward pop music of all types :heheh:

So far I checked out Trees and I do like them.

Wolf

Reaction score

I actually like psychedelia a lot but haven't dug deep like your list but i'm getting there:D Spinach was a band some what put together on Cape Cod where I live and I I got to know Richard Nese the bass player who lives not far away so I started looking at the band harder and liked some of it.

Wolf, I didn't think you cared for psychedelia.

Here's my favourites:

Love-Forever Changes(west coast psych/folk)(a masterpiece, classic)
Kaleidoscope(US band, not the UK band)-Side Trips; Incredible(eastern influenced)
Comus-First Utterance(UK prog/psych/folk)
It's A Beautiful Day-s/t debut(San Fran psych/folk)
Audience-House On The Hill(prog/psych/folk)
Spirogyra-St. Radigunds(UK prog/psych/folk)
Trees-On The Shore(UK psych/folk)
Bread, Love And Dreams-Amaryllis(UK prog/psych folk)
The Youngbloods-Elephant Mountain(US folk/country/psych)
Oriental Sunshine-Dedicated To The Bird We Love(Norwagien psych/folk)(again middle eastern influenced)
Third Ear Band-Alchemy(UK psych/folk)(very psych/experimental w/eastern influences; an aquired taste)
Pentangle-Basket Of Light(UK folk)(not psych but one of the most beautifully haunting pieces of music I've heard; pagan-esque)

Džedaj

Groovy as hell.
Reaction score

Wolf, I didn't think you cared for psychedelia.

Here's my favourites:

Love-Forever Changes(west coast psych/folk)(a masterpiece, classic)
Kaleidoscope(US band, not the UK band)-Side Trips; Incredible(eastern influenced)
Comus-First Utterance(UK prog/psych/folk)
It's A Beautiful Day-s/t debut(San Fran psych/folk)
Audience-House On The Hill(prog/psych/folk)
Spirogyra-St. Radigunds(UK prog/psych/folk)
Trees-On The Shore(UK psych/folk)
Bread, Love And Dreams-Amaryllis(UK prog/psych folk)
The Youngbloods-Elephant Mountain(US folk/country/psych)
Oriental Sunshine-Dedicated To The Bird We Love(Norwagien psych/folk)(again middle eastern influenced)
Third Ear Band-Alchemy(UK psych/folk)(very psych/experimental w/eastern influences; an aquired taste)
Pentangle-Basket Of Light(UK folk)(not psych but one of the most beautifully haunting pieces of music I've heard; pagan-esque)

Well, among all those you have to check out Relatively Clean Rivers, because that's the best psych folk I ever heard.

Back to the Spinach, very trippy band. I remember when I first heard "Mind Flowers" my mind went tripping beyong third bardo :grinthumb It's one of most epic psych tunes I've heard, and believe my I heard a lot of mainstream and underground psych. S/t album is a solid album, although I like "Mind Flowers" better.

Wolf

Reaction score

I used to email back and forth with bass player Richard Nese's son who has been looking for some video for quite a long time. Hard to believe nothing has surfaced it's got to be out there they played some big concerts.

Hurdy Gurdy Man

Reaction score
Spinach

One of the more interesting curios in my collection is the at least semi-psyhedelic classic "Ultimate Spinach".I understand no tour-de-force within the genre like a really good Hendrix or Velvet Underground,but I think this one stands as a reasonably decent time piece in representation of the hippie movement of the late sixties.Some half decent tunes and an interesting package design I think make this one worth seeking out at an oldies record shop.Some of it does sound rather as though it were recorded in a garage or some helf-baked in home studio,but I actually beleive that to be part of the charm here.No attempts at any fancy frills or anything too sophisticated engineering wise,but the hipster statements made within the package,both musically and lyrically,provide many moments of legitimate entertainment purpose.I kind of like records that come right out and say,"we ARE antiestablishment,we have experimented with LSD and other mind expanding substances and we are quite proud of the artistic outcomes of both.Behind and beyond all the studio trickery and gadgetry,any records true success lies in the area of how well the artist or group articulates himself existentially.........

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bringzip

Members online