Ultimate Spinach (Official Thread)

Wolf

Reaction score
Clyde+Clifford+ultimate+spinach.jpg

Wiki Link

Ultimate Spinach (1967)
Behold & See (1968)
Ultimate Spinach III (1969)
Sacrifice of the Moon: Instrumental Music of Ultimate Spinach (2006)

Anyone remember this late 60's psychedelic rock band that was part of the "Bosstown Sound"? Their first two albums charted nationally without the benefit of a single and some may remember them for the tune "Ballad Of The Hip Death Goddess". I got to know their bass player Richard Nese who lives close by and he's a real nice guy who doesn't get too high or low regarding his Spinach days. The bands high point was probably blowing out Jefferson Airplane at a concert in Connecticut where thousands of fans kept screaming "Spinach Spinach" thruought the Airplanes first set of songs. Ian Bruce Douglas was the bands leader and says they were never properly produced and should sound a lot heavier but management was looking to market a different sound. Ian would like to re-do all their songs but doesn't own the rights to them or the Ultimate Spinach name and Skunk Baxter (Doobie Brothers) played in the band on the third album. No chance of a reunion as these guys don't get along with Ian Bruce Douglas at all.​

Last edited by a moderator:

Wolf

Reaction score
Re: Ultimate Spinach

Well you'll either like em' or have yourself a good laugh. Their lyrics are wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy out there. If you can get thru their entire album in one take I think you've done pretty good.

Attachments

• ultimatespinachbox.jpg
    ultimatespinachbox.jpg
    15.3 KB · Views: 115
Last edited:

AboutAGirl

oh, be nice
Reaction score

I've never heard them but I'd definetly like to.

That picture of the shark chugging spinach is really priceless! :D

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score

:bmp1:

I did make an honest attempt at listening to the Debut album, which is "far out" when it comes to lyrics and music. It is some of the worst lyrics I have heard but some of the most brilliant trippy music I have encountered yet. Well maybe not he most brilliant, but entertaining none-the-less.

Not a whole lot is to be found on the internet about Ian Bruce-Douglas. But I have found a few interesting articles, Ultimate Spinach Bio and Information and Ian Bruce-Douglas: The Ultimate Interview

ian35bk.jpg
Ian+Bruce-Douglas.jpg

Wolf

Reaction score

Their tune Mind Flowers was used in a Woodstock two movie done a short while back and I think Death Of The Hip Death Goddess is a great tune !! I believe their first two albums chartered nationally without the benefit of a single, real tough to do.

:bmp1:

I did make an honest attempt at listening to the Debut album, which is "far out" when it comes to lyrics and music. It is some of the worst lyrics I have heard but some of the most brilliant trippy music I have encountered yet. Well maybe not he most brilliant, but entertaining none-the-less.

Not a whole lot is to be found on the internet about Ian Bruce-Douglas. But I have found a few interesting articles, Ultimate Spinach Bio and Information and Ian Bruce-Douglas: The Ultimate Interview

ian35bk.jpg
Ian+Bruce-Douglas.jpg

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score

They were a ground breaking band for the hippy psychedelic scene of Boston. Those 60's Hippies went nutz over Ultimate Spinach! Really it is a shame the band fell apart before they truly had time to evolve a bit more.

DaKillerWolf

Cosmic Time Warp Warrior
Reaction score

I think Death Of The Hip Death Goddess is a great tune !! I believe their first two albums chartered nationally without the benefit of a single, real tough to do.

Yeah, me too. I saw that song at youtube and liked the titled while over there listening to 70's psych .I ended up listening to it and it is as far as I am concerned one of the best psych folk tunes ever.

If anyone can rec more Psych Folk like it I would definitely be interested.

Last edited:

joe

Reaction score

Wolf, I didn't think you cared for psychedelia.

Here's my favourites:

Love-Forever Changes(west coast psych/folk)(a masterpiece, classic)
Kaleidoscope(US band, not the UK band)-Side Trips; Incredible(eastern influenced)
Comus-First Utterance(UK prog/psych/folk)
It's A Beautiful Day-s/t debut(San Fran psych/folk)
Audience-House On The Hill(prog/psych/folk)
Spirogyra-St. Radigunds(UK prog/psych/folk)
Trees-On The Shore(UK psych/folk)
Bread, Love And Dreams-Amaryllis(UK prog/psych folk)
The Youngbloods-Elephant Mountain(US folk/country/psych)
Oriental Sunshine-Dedicated To The Bird We Love(Norwagien psych/folk)(again middle eastern influenced)
Third Ear Band-Alchemy(UK psych/folk)(very psych/experimental w/eastern influences; an aquired taste)
Pentangle-Basket Of Light(UK folk)(not psych but one of the most beautifully haunting pieces of music I've heard; pagan-esque)

DaKillerWolf

Cosmic Time Warp Warrior
Reaction score

Wolf, I didn't think you cared for psychedelia.

Here's my favourites:

Love-Forever Changes(west coast psych/folk)(a masterpiece, classic)
Kaleidoscope(US band, not the UK band)-Side Trips; Incredible(eastern influenced)
Comus-First Utterance(UK prog/psych/folk)
It's A Beautiful Day-s/t debut(San Fran psych/folk)
Audience-House On The Hill(prog/psych/folk)
Spirogyra-St. Radigunds(UK prog/psych/folk)
Trees-On The Shore(UK psych/folk)
Bread, Love And Dreams-Amaryllis(UK prog/psych folk)
The Youngbloods-Elephant Mountain(US folk/country/psych)
Oriental Sunshine-Dedicated To The Bird We Love(Norwagien psych/folk)(again middle eastern influenced)
Third Ear Band-Alchemy(UK psych/folk)(very psych/experimental w/eastern influences; an aquired taste)
Pentangle-Basket Of Light(UK folk)(not psych but one of the most beautifully haunting pieces of music I've heard; pagan-esque)

I don't like much of what I have heard because it is too poppy for my taste .
I have the Comus album and Ultimate Spinach I like stuff like that but the Mamas and Papa kind of stuff is too tame for me. I don't know how to explain what I like if that doesn't do it for you.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
V1nnipoof

Staff online

Members online