U2 - War (1983)

CP/M User

Ace in the Hole
Reaction score
Re: U2-War(1983)

annie wrote:

I am loyal to U2 no matter what they do and I think the slander against Bono is unfair.

I guess it's better to say nothing if you can't say nothing nice at all.

Stout

Reaction score

annie wrote:

I am loyal to U2 no matter what they do and I think the slander against Bono is unfair.

Hold on. these are legitimate criticisms. I will give Bono his due when it comes to raising awareness to third world poverty, but at the same token, when your band is charging quite a few hundred for a concert ticket and then you are preaching about third world debt,it seems to be hypocritical. I know it`s the promoter who sets the prices, but the performers are the ones who accept it To top it all of, U2 are a band who hardly pay any tax in Ireland meanwhile, the Celtic Tiger is no longer roaring in this economy. There are many Irish who have been hit hard in this recession and are fed up with Bono`s lecturing about one`s duty to third world debt.
In fairness to U2, I realize high concert ticket prices are not U2`s domain alone. Macca, Sting and/or the Police, Eric clapton are just as culpable.

CP/M User

Ace in the Hole
Reaction score

Stout wrote:

Hold on. these are legitimate criticisms. I will give Bono his due when it comes to raising awareness to third world poverty, but at the same token, when your band is charging quite a few hundred for a concert ticket and then you are preaching about third world debt,it seems to be hypocritical. I know it`s the promoter who sets the prices, but the performers are the ones who accept it To top it all of, U2 are a band who hardly pay any tax in Ireland meanwhile, the Celtic Tiger is no longer roaring in this economy. There are many Irish who have been hit hard in this recession and are fed up with Bono`s lecturing about one`s duty to third world debt.
In fairness to U2, I realize high concert ticket prices are not U2`s domain alone. Macca, Sting and/or the Police, Eric clapton are just as culpable.

You might as well critize the fans, who decided to spend their hard earnings on an U2 concert because I never ever told anyone to go to their concerts! :tongue: But if you think that Bono and U2 are screwing people out of your own money, then don't go to their concerts! Sheese! :wtf:

Stout

Reaction score

Stout wrote:

You might as well critize the fans, who decided to spend their hard earnings on an U2 concert because I never ever told anyone to go to their concerts! :tongue: But if you think that Bono and U2 are screwing people out of your own money, then don't go to their concerts! Sheese! :wtf:

Uhh, I never have been to any of their concerts because I simply can`t afford to. Not a single one!!!! God`s Honest Truth. You shouldn`t make assumptions about me, because you do not know me at all.
I just felt you were attacking me for voicing my opinion when you stated if you can`t say anything nice , don`t say anything at all. I thought the purpose of a message forum was to voice your opinion. And all I stated was what many people do feel, especially over in Ireland.
If you felt insulted by my statements , than I`m sorry you feel that way. And having written that, I might add that the sarcasm from you in your above post was out of line, not warranted, totally unnecessary, and far more insulting with the WTF Icon. I sure as hell was not that way with you at all.
If you have an issue with me,mate, take it up with me privately. I don`t do flame wars on the internet.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

I thought the purpose of a message forum was to voice your opinion. And all I stated was what many people do feel, especially over in Ireland.

That is exactly the purpose of any forum, we don't always agree about everything or every band/artist, and we do pride ourselves on being able to give and take without insulting each other here, like adults.

CP/M User

Ace in the Hole
Reaction score

Stout wrote:

Uhh, I never have been to any of their concerts because I simply can`t afford to. Not a single one!!!! God`s Honest Truth. You shouldn`t make assumptions about me, because you do not know me at all.
I just felt you were attacking me for voicing my opinion when you stated if you can`t say anything nice , don`t say anything at all. I thought the purpose of a message forum was to voice your opinion. And all I stated was what many people do feel, especially over in Ireland.
If you felt insulted by my statements , than I`m sorry you feel that way. And having written that, I might add that the sarcasm from you in your above post was out of line, not warranted, totally unnecessary, and far more insulting with the WTF Icon. I sure as hell was not that way with you at all.
If you have an issue with me,mate, take it up with me privately. I don`t do flame wars on the internet.

Well I don't know what goes on in Ireland so you must excuse me for not knowing what goes on cause I live in the United States of Australia (USA!). I feel Bono has tried to resolve the issue of poverty with his good friend Bob Geldof and he's already had two concerts - Live Aid (1985) and Live8 (2005) and they have tried to increase awareness and do good to assist people in need. The purpose of the Live8 concert was meant to tell world leaders that it simply isn't good enough and they aren't doing enough to stop mass deaths from happening. So the issue with this really sits with those people running countries. Unfortunately nearly 5 years on and it seems like nothing has happened. So who really is to blame. I'm unsure what circumstances U2 are doing with their money, but if they gave some of it away to the needy, then that at least is something, but like you say it's not just them who are charging like wounded bulls - take the Rolling Stones for Pete's sake, Mick Jagger can no longer sing and still charges the earth for someone to go and see his comedy act! :wtf:

P.S. I don't do flame wars - those are for trouble makers!

Kink Floyd

Reaction score

Nice Review. I've been listening to this album for the past couple of weeks, and it's really growing on me. It might even replace 'The Joshua Tree' as my U2 album of Choice. I really like "The Refugee" which I think tends to be an overlooked number, very punky.

annie

metal maniac
Reaction score

I'm unsure what circumstances U2 are doing with their money, but if they gave some of it away to the needy, then that at least is something...

I am not sure what this has to do with the War album, but you mentioned it. U2 has supported the following charities:

* 46664 - Nelson Mandela's campaign to help raise Global awareness of AIDS/***.

* Amnesty International - a worldwide movement of people who campaign for internationally recognized human rights.

* DATA - Effort by Americans to rally Americans – ONE by ONE – to fight the emergency of global AIDS and extreme poverty

* Greenpeace

* Live 8

* Make Poverty History (no longer active)

* Mencap - Mencap works with people who suffer from learning disabilities, as well as with their families and carers. They fight to end discrimination and prejudice, and provide a wide range of services.

* Music for Relief - Music for Relief responds to natural disasters as they occur to help victims recover and rebuild, with an emphasis on housing, education programs and resources.

* (RED) - helps women and children affected by ***/AIDS in Africa.

* The HollyRod Foundation - providing medical, physical and emotional support to those suffering with debilitating life circumstances especially Parkinson’s Disease.

Causes supported:

Adoption, Fostering, Orphans, AIDS, Animals, Children, Disaster Relief,
Environment, Fair Trade, Family/Parent Support, Health, Human Rights,
Literacy, Mental Challenges, Physical Challenges, Poverty, Unemployment/Career Support, Women

annie

metal maniac
Reaction score

annie wrote:

I may not agree with what you say but I will defend to the death your right to say it. But to disagree is my right. That is all that I'm sayin'

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tayson ray

Members online