U2 - War (1983)

Stout

Reaction score
u2_album_war1.jpg

Many years before Bono thought his civic duty to lecture people about giving part of their salaries to third world debt while gouging fans with extortionate ticket prices, and just a few years before he and his mates hit megastatrdom with `The Joshua tree', U2 were a fledgling Irish rock band with two albums underneath their belt.
They realized that promise with `War', one of the more impassioned , raw ,aggressive albums ever made. The album was as Bono put it, a slap in the face to complacent music listeners everywhere. I would go so far as to say the album is akin to a petrol bomb exploding outside your door, and while you are on the inside, your innards shake from the force of the blast.
I was angry kid back then and u2`s post punk aggressiveness appealed to me. It was a soundtrack for my formative years.
Here, U2 address the Irish troubles(Sunday Bloody sunday), resolutions that we mean to keep but do we ever(New year`s day), standing up for your position in life(Like a song), immigration(The refugee), an energetic love song not steeped in sappy sentimentality(Two hearts beat as One), needing a hand while being overwhelmed)Drowning Man and a beautiful adaptation of a psalm that closes the album(40)
My better half reckons I resemble the kid on the cover shot when I was a youth. And that cover even conveys the rawness of the album before you hear it. Here, the kid is unsmiling, possibly angry with a cut lip.
This was an album that was unaplogetic.and uncompromising. Why people prefer Joshua tree(1987), a work where sensitive ponytailed men were soul searching is beyond me. U2 compromised a bit in my book.
Many people here on this site feel U2 are overrated. Back in`83 for a kid such as myself., U2 were possibly the best band in rock, not falling or giving into trends.
Nowadays, I have no more use for U2, but those are my reason alone.

Last edited by a moderator:

CP/M User

Ace in the Hole
Reaction score
Re: U2-War(1983)

I quite enjoy U2s War album for the wide range of songs presented on it, and the context it's presented it in, it's quite powerful considering it was done in 1983 - perhaps Pink Floyds Wall Album had some influence on it and then The Final Cut which came out the same year as War. The only song I don't quite follow from U2s War album is "The Refugee" which to me sounds somewhat laid back and satirical, U2s approach to it seems to sounds more like tongue-in-cheek than serious, but the rest of the album is wonderful. Someone recommended their followup live album "Under A Blood Red Sky" in 1984 though I found the album somewhat limited with the number of songs on it, however I've seen a DVD of that concert which includes more tracks from their War album, so that's probably the one to get.

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score

I like U2 as a band but I am not real fond of Bono. I dont have this album, and I should probably add it to my library. I am much more fond of the later U2 albums, the softer less angry material.

IMO, those are the two best songs on the album.

Nice album review :clap:

Last edited:

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

Nice review Stout, that is one their best albums, I hold the opposite opinion to Magic's on this band, the early albums are by far the best, when they had that Edge to them.(No Pun intended.;))

I agree with Bono being a **** now though, he has become a parody of himself, and his idea of his own importance far exceeds the reality.

CP/M User

Ace in the Hole
Reaction score

It's a pity I cannot write about my Dissatisfaction about U2s Best Of 1990-2000 album, it's an absolute con. In many regards it is a New Album, but perhaps it's best not to judge cause I've hardly played it cause I wasn't all that impressed with it. :(

annie

metal maniac
Reaction score

I am loyal to U2 no matter what they do and I think the slander against Bono is unfair.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

I don't usually have an opinion on what rock stars do in their personal lives Annie, and I do appreciate some of the things Bono has taken interest in, but he is infatuated with his celebrity status and it shows.(And if you are going to dabble in the politics of nations, you are going to get the odd black eye, simple as that.)

As for the music I think they were at their very best up to Joshua, since then they have slipped a little.

Last edited:

Dave78

Dave's not here, man
Reaction score

Even from their first two albums, U2 got quite a bit of airplay on the alt/rock radio station here in Los Angeles, but it wasn't until War that even the mainstream rock radio stations began to pay attention and play their music.

As a whole, War was better than both Boy and October that preceded it, but what really got my attention was their 1983 Red Rocks concert that was broadcast over-the-air. Song for song, it's still one of the best concerts I've heard. I think it's safe to say that MTV put U2 on the map, but this concert put them on MY map.

Their follow-up album The Unforgettable Fire is also very good, but both The Joshua Tree and Rattle and Hum were spotty at best. I did like a lot of their music from the 90's, but their material during this decade is, again, spotty.

A great band, to be sure, but I could really do without the proselytizing that Bono is unfortunately known for.

Just one of the many, many great songs from the Live at Red Rocks concert... this is "Seconds" from the War album:

Dave78

Dave's not here, man
Reaction score

Also from the War album (and the Red Rocks concert)... "Surrender"

Dave78

Dave's not here, man
Reaction score

Also from the War album (and the Red Rocks concert)... this is "40"

Find member

Forum statistics