The Yardbirds (Official Thread)

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
Re: The Yardbirds

There were so many bands like that in the late 60's early 70's, they kept changing people left and right and still recorded some great music.

Foxhound

retired
Reaction score

Actually the sound quality on the Yardbirds most recent remastered compilation double-CD set is outstanding.

Is this the one?

da1c225b9da0213839a86110.L.jpg

I have this one and the sound quality is so primitive that I suspect no remastering of the original mono tapes was done at all:

61-856Pq-eL._SS400_.jpg

:wtf:

wolfsblood

Reaction score

Is this the one?

da1c225b9da0213839a86110.L.jpg

I have this one and the sound quality is so primitive that I suspect no remastering of the original mono tapes was done at all:

61-856Pq-eL._SS400_.jpg

:wtf:

Yes that first CD you show is the one that sounds really good. I borrowed it recently and was amazed at how loud and clear it sounded, the drums and bass sound very good and it's the original mixes.

wolfsblood

Reaction score

I'll see if I can find a copy of the remastered CD you are talking about Wolf, not a big Yardbirds fan but you all have aroused my curiosity now.:D

That remastered is worth having. All the major tracks are on it.
Live Yardbirds Featuring Jimmy Page was released at least twice around 1971 and again in 1976 and both times Jimmy Page forced the record company to withdraw it. I don't think it's ever been officially released on CD but I found a bootleg CD of it on eBay several years ago. It's worth looking for if you want to hear how much the Yardbirds were sounding like Led Zeppelin on their last concert tour.

Last edited:

CP/M User

Ace in the Hole
Reaction score

wolfsblood wrote:

Yes that first CD you show is the one that sounds really good. I borrowed it recently and was amazed at how loud and clear it sounded, the drums and bass sound very good and it's the original mixes.

Oh darn, is that Yardbirds Ultimate the Box Set? I once saw it going out cheap for like $20 at the local music store - cause they were trying to get rid of them. I didn't get it cause I had Five Live Yardbirds and Roger the Engineer at the time as well as a Best of CD their's. Unless their making new stuff coming out the other album I'm interested in is a album called Good Night Sweet Josephine - I've never seen it on CD though and have only heard Jimmy Page talk about that album on The BBC Sessions - which is kind of towards the end of The Yardbirds - so one wonders if it's an album which exists or not?

wolfsblood

Reaction score

wolfsblood wrote:

Oh darn, is that Yardbirds Ultimate the Box Set? I once saw it going out cheap for like $20 at the local music store - cause they were trying to get rid of them. I didn't get it cause I had Five Live Yardbirds and Roger the Engineer at the time as well as a Best of CD their's. Unless their making new stuff coming out the other album I'm interested in is a album called Good Night Sweet Josephine - I've never seen it on CD though and have only heard Jimmy Page talk about that album on The BBC Sessions - which is kind of towards the end of The Yardbirds - so one wonders if it's an album which exists or not?

The last studio Yardbirds album is Little Games. It's the only studio album they did with Jimmy Page. It's okay but nowhere near as good as Led Zeppelin would be just over a year after its release.

CP/M User

Ace in the Hole
Reaction score

wolfsblood wrote:

The last studio Yardbirds album is Little Games. It's the only studio album they did with Jimmy Page. It's okay but nowhere near as good as Led Zeppelin would be just over a year after its release.

That's so strange then cause Good Night Sweet Josephine would have been done after Little Games had it being released, so it makes me wonder how long the Yardbirds were around for when Jimmy Page was talking about that album. Personally I found Little Games was fine, though "Goodnight Sweet Josephine" and another song they did in the same session called "Think About It" are quite interesting to listen to and the song "Goodnight Sweet Josephine" itself is the Yardbirds venture into the more Psychedelic music. Anyway that session was done March 6, 1968 and included the talk with Jimmy Page explaining how they did this album "Good Night Sweet Josephine" in a studio they were at all happy with and then went into another music studio to do it again and were much happier with the result, so it kinda sounds like there's an album somewhere (unless it's been lost) which hasn't been brought out into the known world! :wtf:

rtbuck

Reaction score

I had read about the Yardbirds when I got into music in the mid/late 70's but never heard them until around 1980. My friend had an Uncle who gave him a bunch of albums & one was 'For Your Love' by the Yardbirds. I loved that album the first time I heard it but goodluck finding any Yardbirds albums in a local mall in Buffalo 1980. I ended up trading him Van Halen 2 for it. 'For Your Love' was great & I even knew a couple of songs from cover versions such as "I Ain't Got You"(Aerosmith),"Certain Girl"(Warren Zevon", "Good Morning Little School Girl"(Johnny Winter,10 Years After), &
"My Girl Sloopy"(which I always loved the original version by the McCoys from when I was a kid in the 60's because I thought it was about Snoopy).
Anyway, I found out they did "Train Kept a Rollin'" but could not find a record with their version anywhere. Finally, I came across a great double album called the Story of the Yardbirds & it was great. I then started finding albums in used record stores. The Yardbirds are awesome & I loved their performance in Blow Up

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score

Bumped because The Yardbirds are AWESOME.

I used these vids as reference since I only knew the historical relevance of The Yardbirds and had never listened to the music. It's hard for me to comment on it because it's not bad but nothing really grabs me. It's one of those bands I can say I respect for it's time period and influence but not something I'd ever play for my personal collection.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
V1nnipoof

Members online

No members online now.