The Worst Musical Decade?

The Worst Musically Talented Decade. Choose one.

• The 1950's

Votes: 20 12.6%
  • The 1960's

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • The 1970's

Votes: 6 3.8%
  • The 1980's

Votes: 32 20.1%
  • The 1990's

Votes: 18 11.3%
  • The 2000's

Votes: 82 51.6%

• Total voters

troggy

aka Billy Bubba
Reaction score
Troggy, I am very deep rooted in the blues and the south. I love the old delta blues and the more polished Chicago blues, but they were all pretty raw in the 50's and that to me IS the blues.

Yeah, I agree. I think, like rock and roll, the blues was much less assuming and self-conscious in those days.

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Yep! Like I said in my first post, I have found music to enjoy from every decade. Another music I enjoy is Doo Wop harmonies. Ultimately, though, I rarely listen to Doo Wop.

I am just being honest when I say I dont listen to this stuff very often. Telling the truth doesn't make me biased toward any decade, it just means I dont listen to the music that often. :)

troggy

aka Billy Bubba
Reaction score
Yep! Like I said in my first post, I have found music to enjoy from every decade. Another music I enjoy is Doo Wop harmonies. Ultimately, though, I rarely listen to Doo Wop.

I am just being honest when I say I dont listen to this stuff very often. Telling the truth doesn't make me biased toward any decade, it just means I dont listen to the music that often. :)

Nobody said that you shouldn't be biased anyway. If you like the music of a particular era for its overall sound or even if it just brings back fond memories, there's no disgrace in that kind of bias.

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Thank you! I still dont like the 50's that much :D

Foxhound

retired
Reaction score
I"m certainly not standing up for the 2000's, but Rap and Hiphop started getting popular in the late 80's and REALLY hit it's stride by the early 1990's.

That is correct.

I voted for the 2000's. Now of course there was good music being recorded by bands throughout the decade, but you had to really work to find it. It wasn't being played on hit radio stations which have playlists dominated by rap and dance pop a la Britney Spears these days. This is in stark contrast to hit radio in the sixties. When I look at a top 100 list from most years in the sixties, I really like most of the tunes.

:drums:

annie

metal maniac
Reaction score
Kudos to all of you who stand up for the 50s. Even though I do not listen to that music much today, that decade remains the most influential of all and should not be dismissed as raw and primitive. Here is an excerpt from the book, "Changing the World: Rock 'n' Roll Culture and Ideology" by David Townsend, which may provide some insight on what the original R&R was all about:

"Every rock musician today, from Alabama to Australia, from Sinéad O'Connor to Axl Rose, can trace their roots directly to a single moment in history, the springboard of all rock music and culture, the explosive events of the mid-1950s that first introduced the idea of rock 'n' roll to the world. It is the themes and artistic styles of that very special, very brief time, that spawned the movement, and that subsequent artists have merely refined and redefined. Those were the Happy Days, the Fabulous Fifties, when that Old Time Rock 'n' Roll was blasting from every jukebox, and Peggy Sue rode in her boyfriend's '57 Chevy to the Sock Hop, ready to Rock Around the Clock. It was when Elvis was King, when life was simpler.

The music from that time, especially from the epochal years of 1956 and 1957, is truly great music. Sure, it lacks any overriding social or political themes, there are no screaming guitar solos or overdubbed synthesizers, and the recordings are generally poor (and pre-stereo). But the energy, vitality, and originality of breakthrough rock 'n' roll is unmatched by almost anything that has come along since, and in its context, the ferocity with which this music burst upon the scene was nothing short of amazing. At daybreak, 1955, "rock 'n' roll" was still just a vague notion, an alternative term for Rhythm & Blues, and popular as a genre only among that clandestine cadre of youth who had discovered the R&B radio stations. "Doo-Wop" vocal groups such as the Penguins had penetrated the mainstream with songs like "Earth Angel" (1954), and there were many successful white covers, but this was all very restrained compared to true R&B, about which the majority of the country knew next to nothing. By daybreak, 1956, however, the first beachheads had been established, and as of the middle of that year, a full scale invasion was underway on all fronts. And like the allies at Normandy, the onslaught just kept on coming, with barely time for its teen audience to catch their breath from dancing to one hit before the next—bigger, faster, more enthralling—exploded at their feet.

It somehow seems that post-'50s rock fans have the impression that the rock 'n' roll hits of that era occurred over a long span of time. To understand the importance of this watershed moment in modern history, however, it is necessary to realize that it was only a moment. The great classic rock 'n' roll songs didn't crawl out of the woodwork one at a time, one or two per month; they fell from the sky almost simultaneously. It was, I believe, the relentlessness of this deluge that, in the end, made rock 'n' roll and all that came after it so enduring, so permanent.

Try to imagine waking up every morning with the increasing realization that a revolution was occurring all around you, that the next wave was likely to hit at any moment, that you were a part of this accelerating phenomenon day in and day out, and all your friends were caught up in it too. About once a week, someone would arrive at school or at the soda shop to announce, "You've got to hear this great new record!" And indeed it was great, and the excitement just grew and grew, until it was bigger than anything before: it was a way of life, a burning passion wanting more and more and proclaiming with religious fervor that it would never die or diminish, but would grow to engulf the world with its message of euphoria and the wonders of life and love and youth. And so it has, the reasons for which to be found in the suddenness and the intensity of the songs themselves that ignited the era.

Bill Haley's "Rock Around The Clock" recorded and released in 1954 languished until 1955 when suddenly kids across America and then in England discovered the idea of upbeat dancing ("rocking"!) nonstop, for the fun of it. "Rock Around the Clock" may have set the table and whet appetites, but it was Chuck Berry who served up a main course that left the feasters insatiable. With "Maybellene," Chuck Berry arrived, and so did the Real Thing. This song has every element of bona fide rock 'n' roll: a fast backbeat, blues-based chords, knockout guitar solos, a charismatic lead singer belting out lyrics about fast cars and unfaithful women."

If you are interested, you can read all here... Changing the World, Chapter 2, Beginnings

TheFeldster

Mr Kite
Reaction score
I can find good stuff from all of the decades to listen to. 50's rock and roll, 60's psychadelic era, 70's heavy metal, 80's hair metal, 90's grunge and 00's indie rock, and everything inbetween.

That said, if I had to throw one decade out, the 00's would be the one. As much as there is still good music to be found, it just doesn't grab me like Chuck Berry or the Beatles or Led Zeppelin or KISS would, or any of the "classic" rock artists.

I get accused of not looking hard enough when I say the 00's really lacks anything decent, but the truth is the indie scene has a lot of rubbish in my mind as well. JMHO.

As for 50's being "primitive"... well, the production wasn't flash in those days, but there's not much better than a 50's LP on an old record player in my mind :)

Lynch

Here for the cookies and the tunes
Reaction score
Maybe, but not rock...

I said NO. :D

:heheh:
Open yer ears and I guarantee you'll hear plenty of crummy rock from the 60's as well as the other stuff that was out during that decade, including quite a few tunes by the 'greatest' bands/artist of that decade.

:****:

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
notmrdurden

Members online