The Worst Musical Decade?

The Worst Musically Talented Decade. Choose one.

• The 1950's

Votes: 20 12.6%
  • The 1960's

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • The 1970's

Votes: 6 3.8%
  • The 1980's

Votes: 32 20.1%
  • The 1990's

Votes: 18 11.3%
  • The 2000's

Votes: 82 51.6%

• Total voters

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Agreed but if that statement is to be held true it should make just as much sense that people listening to modern pop acts are thinking the same way but get criticized in the same vein. People listen to newer pop artist like Lady Gaga, Black Eyed Peas, Pink, Katy Perry, Kelly Clarkson, Rihanna, etc. for the same reasons. :)

Props to you Sooty! Katy Perry made a really fun song:

Lady GaGa made some fun stuff too:

I am not such a music snob that I wont listen to the 2000's music. I know the songs I posted are pop, but they're fun and not meant to be taken seriously.

The 2000's has brought some really great bands like Evanescence, Wolfmother, The Strokes, and Muse.

SchindlerHaughton

Reaction score
The 1980's were probably the worst. Yes, that is when Rush and U2 really stated to take off, that's when Sonic Youth started, etc., but that decade doesn't have much else going for it. That's when Styx really started to go to hell, that's when a lot of artists went to hell, we saw the rise of rap, I could go on...

As far as mainstream music goes, the 2000's were certainly no shining star. The only things mainstream 2000's music has going for it are Coldplay and some stuff from the early 2000's. However, if you look at indie/alternative music, the 2000's have some great things to offer (you just need to know where to look). Some examples: The White Stripes, Panic! At The Disco (particularly their second album, Pretty. Odd.), Guster, Silversun Pickups, Keane (particularly Hopes and Fears), Coldplay, I could go on. Those of you with the attitude that there is no good music coming out today are mistaken; you just need to know where to look. ;)

Gabble Ratchet

Reaction score
The 1980's were probably the worst. Yes, that is when Rush and U2 really stated to take off, that's when Sonic Youth started, etc., but that decade doesn't have much else going for it. That's when Styx really started to go to hell, that's when a lot of artists went to hell, we saw the rise of rap, I could go on...

As far as mainstream music goes, the 2000's were certainly no shining star. The only things mainstream 2000's music has going for it are Coldplay and some stuff from the early 2000's. However, if you look at indie/alternative music, the 2000's have some great things to offer (you just need to know where to look). Some examples: The White Stripes, Panic! At The Disco (particularly their second album, Pretty. Odd.), Guster, Silversun Pickups, Keane (particularly Hopes and Fears), Coldplay, I could go on. Those of you with the attitude that there is no good music coming out today are mistaken; you just need to know where to look. ;)

Schindler I've been saying this since I got here :heheh:

In terms of quantity of musical talent, the 2000's in unmatched. Just because good music isn't no.1 on the charts doesn't mean it's non-existant. We Grow Up are a perfect example of this, they're extremely talented and their music is phenominal yet they're so unknown that I've been able to literally walk onto the stage and talk to them after the show :heheh:

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score
Schindler I've been saying this since I got here :heheh:

In terms of quantity of musical talent, the 2000's in unmatched. Just because good music isn't no.1 on the charts doesn't mean it's non-existant. We Grow Up are a perfect example of this, they're extremely talented and their music is phenominal yet they're so unknown that I've been able to literally walk onto the stage and talk to them after the show :heheh:

The Great Sooty predicts that that bold statement is going to get Salmacis mobbed by our demographic! Sooty predicts if Sal starts running now he might just make it! :D

fortune-teller-largethumb9453759.jpg

METALPRIEST

Reaction score
:heheh:

I'm still shocked that the 2000's have so many votes..there really is many bands out there that are SOOO good...uncharted and some charted.

But I have to just accept the vote count for what it is. Oh well. Majority rules here. I don't agree. The only advice I can offer is for others to try searching a little deeper beyond the mainstream.

:cheers2

gregjohnson1229

Reaction score
there are tons of good bands from the 2000's:black keys, Wolfmother, Bloc Party, The Mars Volta, The Decemberists, etc.

snakes&ladders

Reaction score
I'll say this again...and again...and again....it has gotta be the Reaganistic-Thatcheristic INVOLUTIVE 80's!!!!:):)

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tayson ray

Members online