The Who???

Status
Not open for further replies.

SlickDick

Reaction score
Re: The Who

It is no longer the Who but the Wha??? just Townsend and Daltry, but before when they were the Who they ruled. In the late sixties I saw them at the Village Theater in Greenwich Village and the best show I will ever have seen complete w/ guitar busting and smoke bombs. One guy said to me once, "The Who they're a good small town group" a year later they came out w/ Tommy and really went skyward. I'd like to have seen that hillbilly again and reminded him of his bullshit.

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score

I saw the Who in concert in 1979. It was that tragic concert where all the people got crushed by a stampede at the doors. I dont remember the concert all that much, but the crowd rush and stuff is still fresh in my mind like it happened last week !

rollingstoned

Queens of the Stone Age
Reaction score

I saw the Who in concert in 1979. It was that tragic concert where all the people got crushed by a stampede at the doors. I dont remember the concert all that much, but the crowd rush and stuff is still fresh in my mind like it happened last week !

Wasn't the concert in Cincinnati, Ohio? My uncle went to that I think and maybe my dad haha.

snakes&ladders

Reaction score

They should 'a got Carmin Appice on the skins...too late, he's a Black Sabb now :):)

zoose

Reaction score

Yow - an Undead thread.

Spike gets closest to it.
Great as they rocked back in the day it wasn't the licks that made the Who, and you had to see them live to be a real WhoDoo.
(something I never got to do)
At Leeds you would have seen the real Who, which was a glorious controlled train wreck. From what I've learned that is what the Who (even from their days as the Beachcombers) were like in off-stage life - their art truly imitated life and THAT was the source of their initial greatness.

Roger was an accomplished bad boy, and whenever the Three got together they were soon throwing furniture around and smashing things - and Moon was a major mover of such hijinks - so I can see that creative element being diminished by his loss.
However if I get to see the Who before I eat dirt it will be to see Pete and Roger in the flesh, first and foremost.

I read that Tommy was the result of a bad ride PT had on a nasty designer drug called MDA and that he didn't hold it to be his best work.

On the other hand Quadrophenia has timeless work like Love Reign Over Me.
The greatest rockers are found on a stage, not in a studio; you can't hide there, and the Who are one of the greatest stage acts.

wolfsblood

Reaction score

I am a great fan of The Who, but have often thought that they should have quit when Keith Moon died. They can still blow most bands off the stage even now. However, without the greatest rhythm section in rock they cannot match the same sort of intensity they had.

What do you think...

Excellent question. I happen to think The Who were one of the greatest rock bands ever. They had the perfect combination of great songs, incredible energy on stage, and larger than life personalities. The violence and high decibels on stage were incredible. So many great tunes and some wicked humor in the lyrics. Pete Townshend was the main genius but John Entwistle's songs were some of the Who's best. The Who Sell Out is my personal favorite Who album.
I agree that after Moonie died they lost a lot of their chemistry. But they were still a powerhouse rock band with Kenney Jones. Check out the live performance of Sister Disco from the 1979 Concerts For Kampuchea for proof of this. Kenney Jones was a great drummer for The Who.
Their 1981 album Face Dances had some great tunes on it and the classic You Better You Bet. But the follow-up It's Hard from 1982 seemed to lack the classic Who energy, even John Entwistle's contributions were a bit forgettable. For me The Who ended after the 1982-83 tour and the fairly dismal live album Who's Last. Everything they did after that was mainly for nostalgia. After Entwistle died it only became more clear that it was over.

Mr. Shadow

"Classic" Member
Reaction score

The Who had more energy than most bands. My favorite shows are Woodstock and the Isle of Wight concerts. I have board tape of the show where Keith passes out on stage and the band offers the crowd tickets to another show.

CP/M User

Ace in the Hole
Reaction score
It's funny - I just heard "I Can See For Miles" and while those Guitars kind of standout in the song - listen to Keith Moon on the Drums. I reckon he's working hardest on that song - especally towards the end. In a way - "I Can See For Miles" is a Drummers masterpiece, though for some reason it's slipped under my radar! :wtf:

Though I guess in a way that's what makes The Who a great band, the ability of producing an absolute classic without making anything stand out! :D

PinkFreud

Rock Junkie
Reaction score
I remember watching their movie for "Tommy". It was great, especially the part where 'Tommy' challenges the King of Pinball (Elton John). That was awesome

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dustybroom

Staff online

Members online