The Who???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drummer Chris

Reaction score
Re: The Who

Cool Buff, I think you can post the photos here on this thread no prob.
I never met them but heard about "my heels are high" Daltrey. One thing I get amused by in concert footage is when he does his mike throwing in the air thing and then doesn't catch it, thats always good for a chuckle.
But, yes...I love the Who, Looney Mooney will never be replaced but at least Zak Starkey was/is? very good, a close 2cnd to Moon.( I don't know if he's still in the band)

H

halcyon days

Drummer Chris said:
Cool Buff, I think you can post the photos here on this thread no prob.
I never met them but heard about "my heels are high" Daltrey. One thing I get amused by in concert footage is when he does his mike throwing in the air thing and then doesn't catch it, thats always good for a chuckle.
But, yes...I love the Who, Looney Mooney will never be replaced but at least Zak Starkey was/is? very good, a close 2cnd to Moon.( I don't know if he's still in the band)

yeah buff i'd love to see the photos too

RoxorFuxor

Awesome Monger
Reaction score

I don't really like much of their stuff after Who's Next. I mean, Who Are You had some good stuff, but Quadrophenia just sounded like they were running out of ideas, all the songs seemed to be the same. I think Tommy and Who's Next was their golden age. Those were the first two Who albums I listened to and nothing else by them seemed to top them.

Music Wench

Rock and Roll Grandma
Reaction score

RoxorFuxor said:
I don't really like much of their stuff after Who's Next. I mean, Who Are You had some good stuff, but Quadrophenia just sounded like they were running out of ideas, all the songs seemed to be the same. I think Tommy and Who's Next was their golden age. Those were the first two Who albums I listened to and nothing else by them seemed to top them.
While I think Who's Next is probably their best album, I have to disagree about Quadrophenia. I think it's much better than Tommy. I like Tommy and all but there's more depth to Quadrophenia. Quite the masterpiece I must say...see kath's journal and Buff's comments on it.

Buff

~going mobile~
Reaction score

Quadrophenia is very deep. It takes a while (several spins) to really grasp what Townshend is getting after. Quadrophenia (Tommy too) wasn't meant to be a big hits wheel, it was more an outlet for Townshend's frustrations with his life.

Give it another chance sometime, Rox. You may find you identify with it more than you think, and check out some of their older stuff as well, like Meaty Beaty Big and Bouncy. It's a GH disc, but it will get you more acquainted with their stuff from the 60's. Magic Bus is and always has been a lasting favorite of mine.

RoxorFuxor

Awesome Monger
Reaction score

I do appreciate the message Quadrophenia puts out there and I do like to listen to it now and then, but for it's sound I think that Tommy has it beat. I really consider Townshed a rock composer, he is just amazing.

Reverend Rock

cool music and hot coffee
Reaction score

I think Quadrophenia is Townshend's true masterpiece rather than Tommy. But I think a finished Lifehouse would have even been more wonderful.

Spike

Rock & Soul Archaelogist
Reaction score

I appreciate what Townshend was trying to do on Tommy and Quadrophenia, but I'd much prefer to listen to Live at Leeds or Who's Next any day.

Spike

Martha Washington

eat it! it's GOOD for you
Reaction score

the thing about Quadrophenia, for me, is how tight the band is.
I've got my niggles but when push comes to shove I'm not sure another studio album captures the energy of the band as well.

songs are another matter. I like 'Quadrophenia' and am afraid I'm incapable of being objective about it. that album's been a great pal for a long time. It's not my favorite Slab O' Who, not by a longshot. But the Who are really special to me and it's hard not to regard Quad... as a special album. I mean, just look at that package!
(Martha whistles)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
magicmoments

Staff online

Members online