The Who???

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

ass

Re: The Who

scriptdave said:
I am a great fan of The Who, but have often thought that they should have quit when Keith Moon died. They can still blow most bands off the stage even now. However, without the greatest rhythm section in rock they cannot match the same sort of intensity they had.

What do you think...

I used to be a who fan and saw them as one of the British tripple, when I saw the Q film I became a very dedicated mod, I loved the clothes and the stile.

Now, I think there are only 2 really great brit bands from the 60's. And live at Leeds is not a good album. Well, they still are the third best band, and they had the best drummer.

Reverend Rock

cool music and hot coffee
Reaction score

You can never duplicate a chemistry like the original Who had. It would be like trying to replace John and George and do the Beatles all over again. It wouldn't really be what we know as the Beatles, because that exact human chemistry can't be duplicated.

Drummer Chris

Reaction score

Martha Washington said:
I've got no problem with them going on the road and calling it 'the who'
But, in all honesty, I didn't always feel that way.
Unlike Telecat, I just plain never warmed up to the Kenny Jones albums. Something was missing. At the time it was easy to think that what was missing was a certain flamboyant drummer but, looking back, this was only part of the problem.

I think Pete was saving the good songs for his solo albums.

Bringing it up to date, Ringo's kid seems to fill Keith's shoes a lot better. Sadly, if you're the drummer in the Who, that's gonna be part of the job. Jones is a TERRIFIC drummer in his own right but he didn't even try to fill them shoes and perhaps, at the time, this was wise.

now, many years and many Schlitz endorsements later, I don't think people mind.
They DID'NT die before they got old and they play the hell out of some really fine songs. Maybe the muse has left Peter for good, I hear Daltrey has a couple songs. We'll see what happens.

I think they should rock until they can't cut it and I don't really see that happening.
I agree that Zak Starkey helped the Who sound much better than Kenney Jones, although after Moon died, although they were going in a different direction album and song-wise.
But live, the Who's classic Rock songs were much more energetic with Zak then Kenney, I don't think Kenney was the right drummer for them at all though I like his work with The Faces.
I also say that with the Ox gone now, the Who has never been the same, although Pete and Roger will probably keep the name going until they are really put out to pasture.

newdawnfades

Reaction score

Working Class Hero said:
I'm not saying they were as good after he died, because they certainly werent, but the drummer isn't exactly the most important position in a band. In Freddie Mercury's case, yeah, I definatly couldn't see Queen continuing since Freddie WAS Queen. However, I prefered Who with Moon definatly.

What would you say about Bonham? As far as performances go he WAS the key element for Zeppelin. When it came to The Who and Moon's ability i'd err on the side that he was definitely an important aspect to their music, and the music was never the same after.

Music Wench

Rock and Roll Grandma
Reaction score

I think the loss of any member can be detrimental to a band. Especially with groups like The Who and Led Zeppelin where the individual members had rather distinct personalities. There is that element of chemistry that sometimes is lost when one member is gone. Doesn't matter if they're the lead singer or drummer.

I even notice it in a band that isn't necessarily one made up of stellar musicians in the sense that they don't make my "best" list individually but as a group. R.E.M. lost their drummer Bill Berry after he decided he wanted to retire from the business and enjoy his life at home more. Since then I have to say the music has changed and while R.E.M. has evolved over time, the loss of Berry can be heard in their music. IMO it hasn't been as good since his departure.

And I did notice a change in The Who after Keith Moon died as well.

Still, I'd love to see Daltrey and Townshend get back together for a tour. I'm with kath, maybe they should call themselves Who2. LOL

Drummer Chris

Reaction score

newdawnfades said:
What would you say about Bonham? As far as performances go he WAS the key element for Zeppelin. When it came to The Who and Moon's ability i'd err on the side that he was definitely an important aspect to their music, and the music was never the same after.
I would say that Bonham was a great drummer, his single-foot bass drum rolls outdid everyone else's, including Buddy Rich's and his solos at times were incredible, especially live.
I learned a lot from his style for rock and blues drumming, and it helped that his drum set was recorded so well live and studio-wise.
Moon was a fantastic drummer as well, a much different, busier style but with extremely energetic, rock results.
My 3 favorite drummers still remain to be Bonham, Baker and Moon.

AboutAGirl

oh, be nice
Reaction score

I love the post-Moon material, so I'm very glad they decided to stick around. On the other hand, their reputation may be stronger if they had called it quits. For example if Led Zeppelin had carried on after Bonzo, with Jimmy still wasted and all that, they might have ended up like The Rolling Stones. Don't get me wrong, I bet Zep would come out with great material (imagine them going metal in the 80s maybe??) and a whole lot of my favorite Stones material is from after the traditional golden era, but I'm just talking reputation wise Led Zeppelin seems pretty flawless, legendary, golden, whereas The Who and The Stones seem a little bit washed up to people.

In the end though, I'd rather have music than status or golden legacies.... besides, the first show I ever went to was guess who... no not THE guess who, it was The Who with Robert Plant opening! Great show, man. They were missing 2 members but they still rocked...

Drummer Chris

Reaction score

Yes, it's nice to see and hear the classic rock bands that still exist these days, even if they are missing members and don't sound the same as their respective hey-days.
I saw the Who in 1989 live in Vancouver and they were loud and rocked the stadium with Simon Philips drumming....great show, even with Townshend a little crippled, (Pete had injured his hand on a whammy bar on the previous concert date in Seattle).
Also I saw the Stones twice, first in '89 and then in '98 and the second time was a superior show;Mick had a lot more energy than men half his age.
So, overall I will still see these classic acts live once in a while, but will only buy their musical product if it's good or better.

Buff

~going mobile~
Reaction score

I'm a giant Who fan too, was only 9 when I saw them with Moon before he went on to that big gig in the sky. They were still good even without Moon, but you can most certainly hear the difference. Moon was just a plain lunatic, played the drums like he was living there. Kenny, well, he's kinda like Charlie Watts, reliable and steady, but not a "presence". Moon was almost bigger than the band on his own.

Gotta agree with another poster. Without Ox, it just isn't the same. =(***** Met Roger once when he was doing a stint in Denver. I'll have to post the photos sometime. Can we do that here? He's much shorter than you might think, and his accent is extreme. Met Entwistle too, but you can tell he avoids the the adulation thing...way trying to avoid the crowd, but I did get them both to sign my Tommy album.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edmerka

Members online