The Who???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Re: The Who

i gotta agree with dave here. The who is amde up of moon, townshend, daltry and entwistle, not everyone else besides moon. when he died, in my opinion, the who's glory days ended. moon had drumming capabilities that could not be matched, and hwne he died, that intensity that all their sings had sorta died out. figure y all their greatest hits were b4 moon died, nevamind when entwistle died, that just finished it, sadly...

Gearjammer

Devout Heathen
Reaction score

The thing is, any band that loses active members to death walks a fine line. The decision to carry on depends on the band.

I think that Zep did the right thing when the ended it after the death of John Bonham, but on the flip side, the Stones did it (well, sort of, Brian Jones wasn't officiallly still a member when he died), as well as AC/DC.

I guess for me, it depends on lots of factors, how active the band is, how prominent the member is, etc. It is all up to the band, but up to us whether we like, or buy the music.

What I really hate, is when a large portion of a band is gone like The Who, or Lynyrd Skynyrd, continues on using the name, basically cashing in on the name.

KISS R ME SOLDIER

Reaction score

I don't think they diminshed...moon was a tough loss bout as you said.. they can still play.
The Who is a gr8 gruop...always have been...i dont think there is realy anything that can change it

Working Class Hero

Nothing is Real
Reaction score

The Who are amazing, and "Who's Next" blows my mind. And to add to the discussion on Keith Moon, I think the band had every right to keep touring. I'm not saying they were as good after he died, because they certainly werent, but the drummer isn't exactly the most important position in a band. In Freddie Mercury's case, yeah, I definatly couldn't see Queen continuing since Freddie WAS Queen. However, I prefered Who with Moon definatly.

Martha Washington

eat it! it's GOOD for you
Reaction score

I've got no problem with them going on the road and calling it 'the who'
But, in all honesty, I didn't always feel that way.
Unlike Telecat, I just plain never warmed up to the Kenny Jones albums. Something was missing. At the time it was easy to think that what was missing was a certain flamboyant drummer but, looking back, this was only part of the problem.

I think Pete was saving the good songs for his solo albums.

Bringing it up to date, Ringo's kid seems to fill Keith's shoes a lot better. Sadly, if you're the drummer in the Who, that's gonna be part of the job. Jones is a TERRIFIC drummer in his own right but he didn't even try to fill them shoes and perhaps, at the time, this was wise.

now, many years and many Schlitz endorsements later, I don't think people mind.
They DID'NT die before they got old and they play the hell out of some really fine songs. Maybe the muse has left Peter for good, I hear Daltrey has a couple songs. We'll see what happens.

I think they should rock until they can't cut it and I don't really see that happening.

Music Wench

Rock and Roll Grandma
Reaction score

I don't care what they call themselves, if Daltrey and Townshend could ever get it together to get back out there and tour and maybe make a new album, I'd be quite happy to try and see them and buy the CD.

Of course I can see how it might be more fitting if they did call themselves something else. Like Jimmy Page & Robert Plant calling themselve just that for their live album "No Quarter" which was them performing Zeppelin classics with a new spin. Great album. :cool:

Her

Reaction score

"John Bohnam= God of drumming, enough said"

Sorry to change subject but I just noticed this.

And

Agreed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
V1nnipoof

Members online