The Who to Record New Album This Summer

That 70s Guy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
ultimateclassicrock.com

The-Who-Rick-Diamond.jpg

The Who have disclosed that they are going to record a new album this summer. It will be their first venture into a studio since 2006′s ‘Endless Wire.’

At a press conference today (June 30) in Ronnie Scott’s club in London, the Guardian reports that Pete Townshend dropped the news that he had written three new songs that had been met with approval from Roger Daltrey. Part of the inspiration, Townshend said, was Daltrey’s excellent album with Wilko Johnson, ‘Going Back Home.’ And while he said that record’s live feel may cause them to “make the album in a more basic way than we usually do,” it will probably be “more prog rock than pub rock.”

The duo announced a series of nine U.K. shows (listed below) in November and December. The tour will be called ‘Hits, Picks and Misses’ and will highlight some of their more obscure songs in addition to the usual suspects to commemorate their 50th anniversary. During the press conference — which included an acoustic set comprised of ‘Substitute,’ ‘Bargain,’ ‘The Kids Are Alright’ and ‘Won’t Get Fooled Again’ — Daltrey echoed statements the band has made over the years by suggesting this could be their last go-round.

“We can’t go on touring forever,” he said. “[This tour] will have a finality to it. We’ll stop touring before we stop playing as a band.”

The Who 2014 U.K. Tour Dates

11/30 – Glasgow
12/2 – Leeds
12/5 – Nottingham
12/7 – Birmingham
12/9 – Newcastle
12/11 – Liverpool
12/13 – Manchester
12/15 – Cardiff
12/17 – London

Read More: The Who to Record New Album This Summer | The Who to Record New Album This Summer

Hurdy Gurdy Man

Reaction score
Wonderful news.These guys are gonna die active rock stars,just like the Stones and maybe Paul McCartney...............

Lynch

Here for the cookies and the tunes
Reaction score
I"m sure that I'm in the minority, but I really don't care to see these two put out an album as "The Who" any more than I want to see McCartney and Ringo put out an album as "The Beatles". I wouldn't mind them putting out an album as "Pete and Roger" or as "The Daltry Townsend Band", but it just seems wrong to put out an album with half of the band deceased ... especially after Townsend's comments a short while back saying that he wishes he had never been in The Who.

If they want to tour together as The Who, that's fine, just don't call any new music released with that same band name.

JM2CW

Sick Boy

manic
Reaction score
I"m sure that I'm in the minority, but I really don't care to see these two put out an album as "The Who" any more than I want to see McCartney and Ringo put out an album as "The Beatles". I wouldn't mind them putting out an album as "Pete and Roger" or as "The Daltry Townsend Band", but it just seems wrong to put out an album with half of the band deceased ... especially after Townsend's comments a short while back saying that he wishes he had never been in The Who.

If they want to tour together as The Who, that's fine, just don't call any new music released with that same band name.

JM2CW

I see where you're coming from and I do agree with you, they're not really 'The Who' anymore but to be completely honest, I'm still pretty excited about this release.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
I'll pass on the new album but kudos to Roger and Pete for recording new material I'm sure they would go crazy just playing old Who classics continuously...come to think of it that's what they've been doing since their "Official absolutely positively last Who concert tour ever so don't miss out" back in the late 80's or early 90's. I've never forgotten that and probably never will talk about "The Who Sell Out". :gig

EJD1984

Reaction score
Though on the surface this sounds great, but does Daltry still have the range to pull of a Who album? He hasn't been sounding all that good in recent years.

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hannibal37

Members online

No members online now.